Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm a little confused about how units will work.

Default I'm a little confused about how units will work.

Am I to understand that each unit will consist of several soldier-types, now? Is that it?

I don't get it.
    CA needs competition.

Default Re: I'm a little confused about how units will work.

Think of it like roma surrectum or stainless steel if you have played them, not all units in the unit will look exactly the same. There could be some with different shields or maybe slightly different armor variations

Think of it like roma surrectum or stainless steel if you have played them, not all units in the unit will look exactly the same. There could be some with different shields or maybe slightly different armor variations

I'm not talking about their appearance. I'm talking about their function.

Jesus-ing-Christ.
    CA needs competition.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Ey bro, calm down. The guy is just trying to help you and there is absolutely no reason to respond like that.

I would also like to hear more about this though, it's rather vague in the articles.

No need to get mad at the guy because your post wasn't clear.

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Units will have same functions just more abilities.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Historically many factions in this era were not uniformly equipped, with a few exceptions.

Libertus

Maybe for a barbarian faction a few sword users in a spear unit or something like that..

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah CA, give us some details on this or we will throw grievous insults at you and decrease relations by -15 points.

(not really, but some information on the subject would be swell)

Domesticus

From what I understood, individual units no longer exist. You no longer create an army by choosing different units.
    Instead of saying picking 3 archer units and 10 heavy infantry of the same or different type, now those units will be grouped together. To use the example on the interview, armies will now consist of legions which in turn are made up of the units previously mentioned.

The way i see it, you can't pick the units in your army anymore. It appears to be standardized now.

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

I like the sound of living distinct named Legion which gain Traits and are permanant formations; assuming they don't suffer complete destruction of course. In that case I guess we muster a new Legion with zero experience and Traits and start over.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

As long as the units for different factions look different.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by InferiorBeing View Post
    Am I to understand that each unit will consist of several soldier-types, now? Is that it?

I don't get it.
    TW units are divided by specific units type. Maybe new technology can bring a single unit can have multiple secondary weapons like in a single cohort half are issued with pilums while half is issue with slings.. maybe.

Or in a single unit like gallic/germanic where half using spears and half using swords for example.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I think units will be uniformly equipped, but their equipment can be changed. At least, from what I read...

What he means is, the way CA was talking, it was as if you commanded legions, and not units. So he is wondering if legions have multiple types of units in them, but you command just the legion.

I am a bit confused on this issue as well.

Though from what I can gather is that we will still have the unit cards, each card will now be considered a legion because it will have multiple units/types within that card. This is just what i got from reading the RPS chat http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-interview/ .

If I'm correct then I have to say that I'm not really keen on trusting the AI to controlling the units within my legion/unit card.
    Last edited by Gorhaax; July 02, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
    Rome > Darthmod Med2:K > SS6.4, Rule_Brittania, Broken Crescent Empire > Empire Realism Napoleon > Darthmod Shogun 2 > True Samurai, [WIP] Mettle Blades and Skills

Tired of changing steam Launcher options for Med 2/Kingdoms mods? use Kingdoms App Launcher

Funniest Thread in Rome 2 history: The new "you got the sandals wrong" thread.

That explanation sounds a little odd. Many Roman armies during the Republic weren't more than 4-6 legions. That would mean controlling only 4-6 units?

I hope that it is like that.

I did that to my units anyway. Just to increase immersion in the game, I'd give stacks names like "Army of the Rhine" by putting it in the descriptor of the general I assigned to it.

Will save me some time

I agree I'm most likely getting it wrong but how else do you explain the fact that we will still using unit cards but at the same time be using legions?

Hopefully CA will come on and clarify this whole issue. It could all just be down to unit cards = legions, which would mean nothing has changed
    Last edited by Gorhaax; July 02, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
    Rome > Darthmod Med2:K > SS6.4, Rule_Brittania, Broken Crescent Empire > Empire Realism Napoleon > Darthmod Shogun 2 > True Samurai, [WIP] Mettle Blades and Skills

Tired of changing steam Launcher options for Med 2/Kingdoms mods? use Kingdoms App Launcher

Funniest Thread in Rome 2 history: The new "you got the sandals wrong" thread.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

I am very worried about this.

Total War Games were always great because of the variety of Units.Tactics were important.

Since Empire every faction now is the same (even though the used eras and regions were
    to blame for that) and if we got the same thing in Rome 2 I will rage.

Legions system is nice and all,but what about earlier Rome ?´

What about the other Factions,how will they command their army.

And the less micromanagement statement made me very uneasy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast