Thread: Traits system

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Default Traits system

Hello TW-maniacs.

To be fair, aside from units and factions and such things I'm sure they'll do their best to make well enough, the main thing that worries me is how the new trait system for Rome II will be.

I always liked the system from Rome and Medieval II, since everything could give you a trait or ancillary, there were hundrends of options, and knowing them could make for some good character buildiing, with no general being the exact copy of another. In my opinion, the worst mistake they did in Empie onwards is that the trait and ancillary system is much more boring, limited, and generals and characters were almost clones.

I don't think this thread will change the damn development of the game, but still. Which one do you prefer? The diverse system from MTW: 2 and Rome or the one from Empire, Napoleon and S2? Do you think they'll stay faithful at the original game or that they'll use the most recent system for that?
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Default Re: Traits system

The Traitsystem from Medieval II total war was the best IMO.

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
    The Traitsystem from Medieval II total war was the best IMO.
    Indeed, but my totally unprofesional impression is that it was based on Rome's, but removing glaring bugs like the diplomat traits.

So it's really these two games the ones who managed to get more complex characters.

DarkArk's Avatar Senator

Shogun 2's was the best, and I hope they keep the skill development tree. Having more varied random traits would be nice.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

I suppose it will be similar to S2 where you acquire certain traits with new levels and that's an idea I like a lot. However, it would be nice indeed to see more traits being added which come from other things, like visiting Jerusalem gives someone a Jewish adviser in his retinue (+1 influence) or winning an outnumbered battle against the Seleucids gives a trait like ''confident against Hellenistic armies'' ( + 1 command star when fighting Hellenistic armies'' and so on.
    Just a mix from the old RTW/MTW2 trait system and the new one from S2.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Paragon's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    I suppose it will be similar to S2 where you acquire certain traits with new levels and that's an idea I like a lot. However, it would be nice indeed to see more traits being added which come from other things, like visiting Jerusalem gives someone a Jewish adviser in his retinue (+1 influence) or winning an outnumbered battle against the Seleucids gives a trait like ''confident against Hellenistic armies'' ( + 1 command star when fighting Hellenistic armies'' and so on.
    Just a mix from the old RTW/MTW2 trait system and the new one from S2.
    That's what I meant, in Shogun II you also get ancillaries by "leveling up" and they aren't even close to the 8 limit of Rome and M2TW.

Ballacraine's Avatar Domesticus

From what I have gleaned from avid surfing today, it seems that not only will there be traits for individual game characters, but there will be a progressive development of unit traits too.

In effect there will probably be elites developing along with units displaying less admirable traits.

I'm hoping for details on that to include buffs & debuffs for varying scenarios.

Sounds quite promising on the traits front from the little I have picked up.

Balla.
    In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

Crazyeyesreaper's Avatar Primicerius
    Citizen

meh dont care to much the traits are nice but what i HATED was having to do stupid like move my generals every damn turn so they dont get drunkard and other negative traits, the trait system in Medieval 2 was fine but it tended to give out mostly negative traits from what i remember and that fact alone pissed me off more than anything, have a huge city with every benefit general wins all battles and hes still a drunkard, who likes a bearded lady, and likes dudes, blah blah blah it just ruined trait system completely.
    CPU: i7 3770K 4.6GHz / i7 4930K 4.4 GHz / i7 4770K 4.6 GHz
    CPU HSF: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro / Review Samples / Review Samples
    MOBO: Biostar TZ77XE4 / ASRock X79 Fatal1ty Champion / MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
    RAM: Mushkin Redlines 2x4GB 1866 MHz / 4x4GB Gskill 2133 MHz / 2x4GB Kingston 2400 MHz
    GPU: Integrated / GTX 780 / HD 5450 Passive
    PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050w 80+ GOLD / NZXT Hale82 650w Modular / same
    CASE: Nanoxia DS1 / Nanoxia DS1 / Lian Li Test Bench
    HDD: 160 HDD / 512GB SSD + 120GB SSD + 5.5TB HDD / 60gb SSD