Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: So is CA really gonna butcher TW?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default So is CA really gonna butcher TW?

I see from screenshots that the units are acting in a much more age-of-empires fashion. More arcade, more numbers, less tactics? Less management on campaign, when the game is already basic in that aspect? Why does everything have to be dumbed down, FFS?

Really, if you butcher this game, I'ma fly to England, or wherever your HQ is, and pillage your office. Long live Gauls! Long live complexity! Long live good strategy gaming!
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; July 02, 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: So is CA really gonna butcher TW?

Let's not jump the gun.

Nothing from the screenshots suggests anything of what you claim.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

The game is 20% and the previews sounds great.
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 02, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: flaming

I don't get the AoE comparision. As far as "dumb" games AoE was not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    Really, if you butcher this game, I'ma fly to England, or wherever your HQ is, and pillage your office. Long live Gauls! Long live complexity! Long live good strategy gaming!
    you have my axe

i hope CA arent hinting at R2 being the end of TW as we have known it with some auto managed campaigns and army deployments and a huge focus on linear character stories

So you know know all this from screenshots of the alfa version of the game,which will be released in a year?Are you Nostradamus?

Quote Originally Posted by windsupernova View Post
    I don't get the AoE comparision. As far as "dumb" games AoE was not one of them.
    I do. Look at the units in the PcGamer screens. AoE wasn't dumb, but it's an entirely different game. It never pretended to simulate combat, like TW does. This game is as good as dead, really. You are all going to buy it, and find nothing but disappointment.

I always knew CA would kill the TW franchise by whoring themselves out, but not with Rome. This is a nightmare come true. The comments in the trailers are enough to suggest this. Really, R2TW. I'll go play some Europa Barbaroum now. The best TW has to offer.

You are being a real here,it is impossible to tell anything from those screenshots,so I ask you again,are you Nostradamus?

Quote Originally Posted by ashbery76 View Post
    The game is 20% and the previews sounds great.
    20% with a 2013 release date? The only thing worrying me is they do another Empire and release it half-baked.

As others have said though it is way too early to jump the gun and if they do not appreciate how much this game will mean to the fans then they should get their flame-coats on. Right now however, it is way too early to claim they will or will not do anything.

I would however like to move further away from simplicity. At least, I don't want it too accessible but not a spreadsheet feast either.

I have faith in CA after Shogun 2 tbh.

um...not really sure what the complaint is here

for a start you can alter the unit sizes in TW games, small to ultra, however you like

and I fail to see how this is like AoE? When that was about recruiting individual units, not entire formations... like I said, not sure exactly what your point is...

I see from screenshots that the units are acting in a much more age-of-empires fashion. More arcade, more numbers, less tactics? Less management on campaign, when the game is already basic in that aspect? Why does everything have to be dumbed down, FFS?

Where , in what sentence , picture , ancient Grapphiti or scrolls did you read somethng like that ? Seems you are just making it up out of nothing , I do not think CA is screwing this up by making a Age of empire thing , this is a completely different game , on countrary from what I heard and seen seems they are focusing in making a truly masterpiece , where shogun 2 was just a taste test , as I see it to me seems Shogun 2 could be just what could be the conquer of one single region in Rome TW 2 wich that woudl be great ^^ ... I just wich I could take part in the making of this lol ....

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for Rome 2 -_- View Post
    You are being a real here,it is impossible to tell anything from those screenshots,so I ask you again,are you Nostradamus?
    No, I have common sense and a pair of eyes. The units appear to be uniform, and fight in impossibly tight and orderly squares. I'll be damned if they don't move in 90° angles, too.

please put down whatever its is you are smoking.

what gives any indication of units being AoE fashion? if anything CA screwed up in ETW/S2TW by having mushy formations. formations actually meant something in ancient warfare...
    Last edited by mcantu; July 02, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Then enlighten us. We really do not see it, so point it out. Explain, elaborate. Support yourself and your argument.

Spoiler for Large Image

Look at how the men are acting in the screenshot. Unless that's some kind of sprite -up, we see impossibly tight groups of out-of-scale soldiers.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; July 02, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Even EB had tight formations for the Romans, does the spacing and order between men in games really make or break them?

Butcher is a pretty strong word for something you could mod in under 5 minutes regardless.

Tight formations, yes, but not this type of synchronized cock-up. What I see there is the end of individually animated soldiers.

The Roman soldiers had around a metre of space to themselves in reality (around 3 feet), double in loose order. That is how the Roman soldiers are spaced in that screenshot. The Carthaginian units a bit looser. They are also not uniform, though at the distance the camera is that is hard to tell.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

mp0295's Avatar Vicarius

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Look at how the men are acting in the screenshot. Unless that's some kind of sprite -up, we see impossibly tight groups of out-of-scale soldiers.
    What the hell are you talking about? The only people in good formation are not in combat, which is to be expected. What are those people strewn about then in the center? Also, in the top right, those people in battle don't look any different from the original.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; July 02, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Track & Field = Life
    http://www.last.fm/user/mp0295

Where , in what sentence , picture , ancient Grapphiti or scrolls did you read somethng like that ? Seems you are just making it up out of nothing , I do not think CA is screwing this up by making a Age of empire thing , this is a completely different game , on countrary from what I heard and seen seems they are focusing in making a truly masterpiece , where shogun 2 was just a taste test , as I see it to me seems Shogun 2 could be just what could be the conquer of one single region in Rome TW 2 wich that woudl be great ^^ ... I just wich I could take part in the making of this lol ....
    Although I LOOOOOOVE ROME II already and think its going to be the game of the century, I must just help the OP guy and say he is right in one of the things. CA has said that they are trying to reduce campaign management. Making it easier and thus making it possible for cavemen(exaggerating) to win a campaign. No, but honestly I think the campaign is going to be great and I just hope they dont make it too simple. We all want the campaign managment to be complex dont we? The harder the better! I want a challenging economical system where there are not only 10 different buildings. I want 50, nay, MORE than that! You arent supposed to be able to build rome in a day. The same goes for your finances. It should be difficult, challenging and have more effects on the game. Campaign is the greatest part of any Total War series in my opinion. You change history, you change your empire, you forge your empire.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast