Thread: The King's Library

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default The King's Library

Welcome to Scottish King's ever growing library of literary works. Browse, read comment and most of all enjoy your visit!!!

Creative Writing Bookshelf

The Song of Asnurn
    An epic poem from the Tales of Acamar universe. It follows a hero of the Erdani race, Elkon, as he struggles to survive in the war against his father.
    Started: July 03, 2014
    Ongoing

Tales of Acamar: Legends
    A collection of short stories set in the times before Tales of Acamar: Outbreak. This installment in the Tales of Acamar universe explores some major galaxy's history and lore.
    Started August 4, 2013.
    On hold
    MCWC III: Second Place

Tales of Acamar: Outbreak
    Scottish King's first planned work for the Creative writing section. This sci-fi war drama is follows citizens of Acamar as the opening stages of war begins.
    Started July 1, 2012
    Completed June 10, 2013
    MCWC I: Third Place
    MCWC II: Second Place

Letter to My Dear Wife
    This piece was meant for the TOTW Competition but missed the deadline. It is a letter from a dying man to his wife who has already past on.

Crusade Letter
    A letter written from man to wife as he embarks on the crusades.

AAR Bookshelf

The White Horse
    This AAR follows two young soldiers and a diplomat as Hanover begins to play a larger part in the politics of early 18th century Europe
    Started: February 14, 2014
    Ongoing

The Third Coalition: Russian Campaign
    This AAR follows the Czar's cabinet and generals as they fight the menace of Napoleon's French Empire.
    Started July 21, 2014
    Ongoing

To Conquer the World for Islam
    The first successful AAR written by Scottish King. After going a year and half strong has reached its conclusion. This AAR chronicles the struggles of the Moors as they come from being nearly driven out of Iberia by the Christian to becoming one of the most powerful nations in Europe.

Pain and Courage
    A short AAR adapted from the first scenes of the game Skyrim. It was planned to be a bigger project but instead served as an experimental AAR featuring dialogue.

Rise of the Danish Kingdom
    Scottish King's first AAR with the Danes. After two chapters, it was decided to make a better quality AAR with a less played faction.

The Chronicles of Rioghachd na h-Alba
    Another uncompleted DLV AAR which Scottish King had high hopes for but due to time constrains was unable to finish. Had high hopes one day in the future to revive it using Stainless Steel Mod but was not to be.

Georgia Still Hasn't Fallen?
    A spoof AAR Scottish King decided to write as a break from the usual story driven AARs he likes to write with the Kingdom of Georgia for the first time with Empire Total War. More of a comedy a hiatus away from it caused by school has damaged his funny bone making this another AAR he hasnt uncompleted.

Tale of the Week Entries Pile
    TOTW 144: Return of the Equins - Winner
    It was a dismal and foggy day as John made his way through the green pasture. The heavy fog which limited visibility to a mere fifty yards, was a welcomed sight for John as it kept him from being seen by the townfolk who were sure to question him as to what his destination was had they seen him wandering toward the dark, forbidding forest that stood at the edge of bright green pastures. No one dared entered the forest, not after the disappearance of the ponies a hundred years ago.

The forest was once vibrant, full of life, color, game, and ponies, the fabled ponies who once walked and talked with man, once were the guardians of the forest and all life within it. To the men that hunted and worked in the forest the ponies occupied a special place in their hearts, helping them find game in exchange for the men’s respect and care for the forest. But then a tribe of warrior women started to capture the ponies to use as mounts in battle but the ponies refused to help them in their bloody conquest and sadly were exterminated for their refusal to do wrong. The men who had befriended the fabled equines tried to save them but the warrior women were too strong and the few men who survived lost all their self-respect for their failure to protect their fabled friends. And so with its guardians gone, the forest fell into disarray turning into a place of darkness, nightmares and death. But that was about to change.

A week ago, John had been cutting wood at the edge forest, which was a far as anyone dared go, and just a he was preparing to leave for home something caught his eye further in the forest. It was something that did not belong, it was…color. Color where only there was black ground and dark trees. This color belonged to a single flower which grew where sunlight no longer shone. It was this flower which drew John further into the forest, this single purple flower which led him to a much greater discovery which now drew him to the forest again.

Finally through the green pastures and back into the dark forest, John stood in the presence of the purple flower again anxiously waiting as if for something to appear. There was silence for a moment and then he heard it, its feet barely making a sound and soon that which he had been waiting for stood before him. It snorted as it shook its head and silky hair as it stamped its feet on the soft ground. John, mesmerized by the sight of it, walked to its side and patted it skin as purple as the single flower that had caught his attention so many days before. The Fabled ponies had returned.

TOTW 146: Return of the "Great Evil"
    Neil walked silently down the dark, gloomy hallway, his head bowed to the ground in deep thought. It was not often one ventured into the melancholy atmosphere of the ancient underground passageways where Neil now walked. In fact, it had been centuries since anyone had breathed the stale air that had been trapped there since the last time it was been accessed.

The structure to which the passageways led had been built by the Order of the Father. The Order of the Father was a religious sect established two millennia ago in response to the actions by the revered Manchus, a legendary leader who was said to have defeated the "Great Evil", that had at one point threatened to wipe away all life. Manchus had led the humans along with the fabled ponies or Equins, and the ground creatures called Tryns, in a great battle with the "Great Evil" destroying it and its forces ending the threat it posed on humanity for all time. So the legend goes.

The truth is that Manchus and his allies had destroyed the dark forces but had only dealt the "Great Evil" itself a deadly wound, one that would take millennia to recover from. During that time, the "Great Evil" had convinced dubious and traitorous humans to protect it from being found while it regained strength and the Order of the Father was created. Fulfilling their promise to this enemy of life, the members of the Order built deep underground a vault called the Vault of Swiss, named after its designer, with a seal only their master could open when the time of its return came. Time past but yet the Order of the Father kept watch over their wounded dark lord until a century ago the Vatican, the head of the Order, was summoned to the vault, where he was told that the time for its release was at hand. The Equins had been destroyed by the Zons, a tribe of warrior women while the Tyrns had disappeared from the land of men. It had commanded for the Vatican to return in one hundred years to witness its return and it was this that had brought Neil down into the foreboding passages to the vault again.

As the new Vatican, Neil had read everything he could on the ancient entity in the Order's archive. He found it interesting that no one in the past had recorded the entity's appearance. It unsettled him a bit as he turned the key in the door that held the vault and as he closed the door, a rumbling sound began to fill the room. Low at first, the sound grew until Neil had to cover his ears to protect them. At the climax of the rumbling, the massive vault door flew open and for the first time in thousands of years a human laid eyes on the "Great Evil" of old. To Neil's astonished eyes evil seemed so beautiful. Very beautiful.

TOTW 199: Freedom Speech
    Senators, representatives of our great republic,

We stand today at a crossroads. For over one thousand years we have stood as one united world, ruled not by one sole person but by the people. These same people have chosen us; we selected few, to represent them, to carry out their will through the policies that we put into practice here within these very walls. It is our duty, our obligation to the people and the global state over which the blood of many of our beloved sons was spilt to establish, to uphold the principles upon which our great state. But what I have heard argued here today frightens and worries me that we will move from the crossroads and down the wrong road which brings only darkness.

We face uncertain times. Three times an unknown enemy has come from the skies and three times we have pushed them back into the cold darkness of space. But three times our homes and cities have set alight with fire; three times they have struck fear like a dagger into our hearts. And now that fear has driven many into this assembly to believe that our current system is flawed and not able to deal with this threat. That at this time of emergency, certain powers that belong to this assembly should be invested in one man among us and I can’t think of any words that could convey the disgust that such a suggestion driven by fear should be proposed by my colleagues. What you want is a dictator.

I know what you’re thinking. It’s only temporary. It will only be to get us through this time of fear and destruction. But who’s to say when that time will end. The man who is holding the power? I think not. This assembly? By the time it takes action, the dictator will be so entrenched in power we will be rendered useless. And do not say it can’t happen because it has happened before and if we approve this plan of action now it will happen again and that purple and gold flag that is the symbol of our freedom will be nothing more than a symbol of an era we brought to an end on this day.

Let us not be blinded by fear into making rash and may I say it plainly, stupid decisions that will do us more damage to our people that any threat from the stars. If you want to give up your rights; your freedom to feel safe, then your take your cowardice elsewhere because I’ll rather die a free man than live in “safety” with no freedoms

Weapons of the Duel
    First Duel - vs Robinx
    King Louis entered his extravagant bed chambers and dismissed his attendants to have a moment to himself. The party going on outside in the palace garden had been a most exciting affair with the nobles and their ladies wearing the most expensive of clothes while enjoying the most expensive of foods. What else could one expect of a party thrown by the king of the great nation of France? But Louis could only sigh as the crowd began to “ooohhh” and “aaahhh” as the first of the fireworks lit up the dark summer sky. These parties were put on at the state’s expense and with the recent conflicts France had been involved in, the treasury was quite low. Raising taxes could help alleviate the burden. The poorer classes, of course would feel it the most for Louis could not raise the taxes too high on the nobles partying outside as he barely had their support as it was.

Turning away from the window, Louis eye caught sight of a new Etruscan piece of art he had sent from Italy. New in that it had been recently bought, but it was a very old piece dating back to sometime just before the founding of the Roman Republic. It was a very interesting piece for it was made in the likeness of a lion. Louis couldn’t tell what it was made out of, that was not his area of expertise, but he could enjoy a good piece of art. His wife hated the sight of it and would have put it in the servant’s quarters but Louis would not allow it. There was something about this piece…

“It just grabs you doesn’t it”

Startled by the sound of another voice though he was supposed to be alone, Louis turned around to see a middle aged man dressed in what Louis could only describe as a toga worn by the ancient Greeks and Romans. Louis thought he was one of the party members who had drunk to much wine and had wandered into the bedchamber. However, by the way he was dressed and the fact that he would have had to go through the posted guards Louis knew that this man before him was not from party. Louis immediately called for the guards who he told to remove the man from his room and reprimanded them for their letting him in. The two looked at each other, puzzled by what their king was telling them. All the while the man in the toga, whistled an old unknown tune as he sat down in a nearby chair.

“Well what are you waiting for!” yelled Louis. “Arrest this man!”

“Wh-what man, si-sir?”

The man in the toga laughed loudly at the guard’s uneasiness. “You are the only one who can see me, your majesty. Send them away, for I have something to tell you and my time here is brief.”

Louis looked incredulously at the man in the toga and then back at the guard to whom he asked whether could see or hear anyone else in the room. The guards replied no but said nothing further to keep from insulting their king. Thinking that he had drunk to much wine at the party, Louis dismissed the guards with the command not to tell anyone of this incident. When they had left, Louis quickly rubbed his eyes, splashed cold water on his face and even pinched himself to make sure he was awake but the man in the toga was still there laughing at each of Louis’ attempt to convince himself of his sanity.

“Now that you are quite done and realize that you are not asleep let’s get down to business. Like I said my time is short.”

Louis in resignation sat down opposite the man only he could see. After taking a deep breath, he built up the courage to talk to the man in the toga, though it felt only as if he were acknowledging his insanity.

“What is your name?” he asked in a low voice.

“That’s unimportant but you can call me what others called me when I was alive: Superbus.”

Louis cleared his throat. He was sitting across from a ghost. He made a mental note to find out what had been put in the food that night. “Alright, Superbus- am I saying that right- what business do you have with me. Shouldn’t you be haunting someone else or enjoying the other side.”

Superbus got up and walked over to the Etruscan piece that Louis had been admiring earlier. “Well, the afterlife is not too good for me, so I was given a choice. I either stay in an unpleasant afterlife or I come back and try to help some unfortunate soul, like you.”

“Me!?”

“Yes, you! You know, I use to own this chimera. I had it right in my bed chambers like do. I had many fancy pieces of art, money, lavish parties, and most of all power over the state.”
    “So you were a king too?”

Superbus walked towards the window and gazed upon the fireworks as he began to remember his past life. “Yes, I was a king, but one that made many mistakes, the same mistakes you are making, now and they will prove to be your ruin just as they were mind.”

Louis laughed softly. “Mistakes? What are you talking about everything is going fine.”

Superbus turned away from the window, his face not wearing the playfully expression he had at first, but a stern glare that burrowed deep into Louis as if to pierce his soul.

“Fine? Everything is not fine and you know it. The people are starving, the treasury might as well be empty but yet you and your rich friends are living well and throwing extravagant parties. Even now you are contemplating on raising taxes on people who nearly have a coin to spare. I was like you once. I put pieces of art and my comfort above the people and suffered for it. You must reform your ways Louis or you will face dire consequences.”

Louis laughed even louder now. “What consequences? A rebellion? A coup? They wouldn’t dare depose me, one whom God has place on the throne of this great nation. I shall do as I please. Now leave me in peace. Be gone back to your unpleasant situation in the afterlife.”

Letting out a deep sigh, Superbus shrugged his shoulders and walked toward the door but then he stopped and turned to face Louis. “You will see me no more but be warned: Your blood is on your own hands.” With that Superbus began to fade from view as he walked through Louis’ closed door. Louis was relieved to see him go and immediately made preparation to go to bed and he slept rather well that night well convinced that the reign of Louis the XVI would be long and glorious.
    Last edited by Scottish King; August 02, 2014 at 10:25 PM.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Default Re: The King's Library

Its great that you have opened a library! Looking forward to more! +Reppeti rapp

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Looking good mate.

Great to see you new CW piece, I'll give that a read. Also I see you've got your sig sorted...

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Content Emeritus

Added a currently reading section so I can keep track of what I'm reading!

Citizen

Blog Entries

I could do with getting me one of those.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

That reading section is a great idea

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    I could do with getting me one of those.
    You should make one

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    That reading section is a great idea
    Thank you! Perhaps you make one too?

Content Emeritus

Added duel entry section.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Ooh, yeah, should add my duels in too. Excellent library in here, got some of my favourites in

[edit] Add my duels to my shabby little bookcase that is, would seem very presumptuous to just randomly add it into other collections

Content Emeritus

Updated with new AAR!

Content Emeritus

Updated with new Creative Writing Piece.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I still need to read the last few chapters, I'm looking forward to the follow on story though.

Content Emeritus

Added TOTW 199

Content Emeritus

Updated with works of 2014!