Thread: Rome II Pictures & Videos Thread

Default Re: Total War: Rome II - Preview Pictures & Videos Thread

Hey, i have been looking around now and i have found these awesome in-game screenshots !

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They aren't that new anymore.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Are the pink flowers suppose to be Rosebay Willow Herb I wonder? That plant is extremely abundant in many woodlands in the UK today and I presume those in Germany too but would not have been around in ancient times, as it was an alien species from North America. I looked up the origins of the plant on Google and discovered there had been a native species prior to the 19th century but it was far less prevalent and a different form.

I see there are clumps of pink flowers amongst the warriors charging out of the woods. If this is suppose to be based on Rosebay Willowherb and not another plant, it would be better if they reduced it's abundance on the battle map. Pity to spoil a beautiful and realistic woodland scene for a minor oversight.
    Last edited by caratacus; February 19, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Fact, they are not new, but they looks great

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Are the pink flowers suppose to be Rosebay Willow Herb I wonder? That plant is extremely abundant in many woodlands in the UK today and I presume those in Germany too but would not have been around in ancient times, as it was an alien species from North America. I looked up the origins of the plant on Google and discovered there had been a native species prior to the 19th century but it was far less prevalent and a different form.

I see there are clumps of pink flowers amongst the warriors charging out of the woods. If this is suppose to be based on Rosebay Willowherb and not another plant, it would be better if they reduced it's abundance on the battle map. Pity to spoil a beautiful and realistic woodland scene for a minor oversight.
    Are you just nitpicking or desperate to show off your vast knowledge about flora and fauna?
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Its great when people have such knowledge, but this is a game, and i bet most wont see difference.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar1 View Post
    Are you just nitpicking or desperate to show off your vast knowledge about flora and fauna?
    Well it's not nitpicking to state that a plant which has been purposefully made to display on a battle scene, wasn't around for another 2000 years after. I agree most people won't probably be aware of this, but neither it seems was the creator.

When you study history you learn it's full of accounts given on the basis of false preconceptions of others who were similarly mistaken, that the actual truth can be completely distorted and things that were not true taken as being fact as the years pass. Its a game not a history lesson I know, but lets make sure those things that are put into it are not completely inaccurate and misleading.

I don't know what Rosebay Willowherb is called elsewhere in Europe but in Britain it's commonly called "Fireweed" because its abundance and spread was associated with the coming of the railways in the 19th century and its ability to grow in the ashes of steam trains deposited along railway tracks by which it quickly spread across the countryside. I don't think there were many steam trains in ancient times.

dom385's Avatar Senator

We might get some new info or pics soon, maybe even some gameplay! I just saw that they are doing a presentation of Rome 2 in munich on the total war twitter, so maybe they might through us dirty peasants some scraps?

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

I made it prettier

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Looks great, Kreig!

But unfortunately it will probably not be posted in the OP, because it is mainly for unmodified images released by CA.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

This is starting to look awesome!

Right, that out of the way, on to what I think could be improved here.

Fist thing is the cheekpieces, they are too small and the are not tied up under the chin. They are just flapping loose. This makes their faces stand out too much. Also some helmets seem to be oddly placed, just a bit too far back on the head, like the rim is cutting into the forehead, or the bowl seems too high.

The Legate's helmet has no cheekpieces at all. I noticed this on some republican and thracian helmets as well. That doesn't look right to me.

The tunics are a bit too short. They should come to just above the knee.

No one is wearing a focale or scarf.

Why is the legate(?) wearing an infantry shield while on a horse, that's just undoable.

Horse furniture not done yet?

Why aren't they carrying pila? Marching with drawn swords???

Other than that, WoW!
    Lang leve de Republiek!!

I think that wolf-head helmets were not that common. Here, CA has made all those men of the German unit wear these helmets. Now we see Roman armies which have many officers wearing that.

And that infantry one even has a steel mask.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    I think that wolf-head helmets were not that common. Here, CA has made all those men of the German unit wear these helmets. Now we see Roman armies which have many officers wearing that.

And that infantry one even has a steel mask.
    The Roman signifier i probably spelled that wrong just look it up I'll have to after this but anyways they whore wild peeks our bear peeks even lion peeks but it was only the people carrying the Roman eagle signium and disks which name escaped me as well hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Latro View Post

Fist thing is the cheekpieces, they are too small and the are not tied up under the chin. They are just flapping loose. This makes their faces stand out too much. Also some helmets seem to be oddly placed, just a bit too far back on the head, like the rim is cutting into the forehead, or the bowl seems too high.

The Legate's helmet has no cheekpieces at all. I noticed this on some republican and thracian helmets as well. That doesn't look right to me.

Why is the legate(?) wearing an infantry shield while on a horse, that's just undoable.

Other than that, WoW!
    I agree with your part on the legate which he more than probably would not be carrying the shield and not having cheek guards but the soldiers are not in a battle formation or even prepared for battle remember its tutorberg ambush they weren't prepared got Berke and probably weren't laced up their cheek guards

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

I i am not mistaken the Roman said that their ancestor is a big female wolf so I think wolf helmet is popular
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Quote Originally Posted by Latro View Post

Other than that, WoW!
    All above points are valid. Why the hell is the legate holding a shield at all? And that large scutum looks really out of place. CA have been making these games for 25 years now, still, their unit designers really annoy me sometimes. Why can't they hire people who are really passionate about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by SughdianWarrior View Post
    All above points are valid. Why the hell is the legate holding a shield at all? And that large scutum looks really out of place. CA have been making these games for 25 years now, still, their unit designers really annoy me sometimes. Why can't they hire people who are really passionate about these things.
    Personally, I think the legate with a shield looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SughdianWarrior View Post
    Have no fear at all Jack Lusted will fix all above points. Still pre alpha guys and community fills the gap with lots of valuable feedback. Everything is going silky smooth and fine imo

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Spaghetti View Post
    Personally, I think the legate with a shield looks awesome.
    Schields on horsemen are commonly round, because it would be much easyer to drag the shield over de horse's neck when defending in combat.
    He can better shieldswap with the 'man with the iron mask'

Yep, I see a cavalryman holding an infantry shield on a horse (which is pretty lame). At the same time, I also see two infantry behind that hold round shields better used by cavalry.

CA messed up the equipment.