View Poll Results: what kind of MP modes would you prefer in TW:R2 (feel free to choose multiple stuff)

Voters
289. You may not vote on this poll
  • classical mode PvP Team vs Team, Free for all (Rome 1 like), perhaps with less or no unit skilling and retainers

137 47.40%
  • Avatar mode as known, matchmade battles

72 24.91%
  • something new (evolved)

101 34.95%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 2 players

109 37.72%
  • a working bug free MP campaign for 4 players

167 57.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

Default Re: ROME II - Official Multiplayer discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Wow, I haven't even thought of that. Imagine what else some brilliant minds can come up with!
    I hope that is sarcasm.
    What a terrible idea, no offense.

Default Hotseat with numerous PC enable (LAN hotseat)

It would be totally awesome and cool if R2 would have Hotseat possibility and it would be possible to play Hotseat campaign with many factions and be able to solve battles between 2 players in real time battle. Hotseat in M2TW was awesome but the lack of battles player versus player in real time was a bit of a party pooper. So how does this sound?

Default Re: Hotseat with numerous PC enable (LAN hotseat)

My only concern with a 3 player hotseat or greater is the time between turns. Other than that, this all sounds both feasible and fun!
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Would be awesome if it could be for Online gameplay as well in R2. Lets hope.
    Signature Removed - Read this.

-TWC moderation Staff

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

Brings back good memories of my buddy and I swapping every hour to take turns taking over the world in Rome 1, while the other attempted to beat Morrowind, or the latest MGS

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Merged Threads.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Multiplayer modes - what would you prefer

yes Kinjo it seems so 47 voters in a week is pretty less. i should have considered that on posting an put in an option like "i dont play multiplayer at all"

Durnaug's Avatar Campidoctor

I would like to see a co-operative campaign mode, i.e. the game ends when both players have divided up the map.

Dominici's Avatar Libertus

Where's the all button?
    A review of Rome II: II < I

I much prefer the original Rome I multiplayer.

It was simple, and that's what makes it best.

• No leaderboards, which means no one pulls the plug when they see your record.
    • You could change your online name upon entering online every time so there was no worry of "embarrassment." (See above)
    • No veteran units. The game is always balanced, because someone who played more doesn't have access to any other units than someone who just started.
    • Easy and simple lobby with a list of games to join.

I understand all these features aren't specific to Rome, but these are it's best features that we should keep. The game speaks for itself. Rome still has a fairly large online community for a game that has been out since 2004. Why fix something that was never broken?

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Thread merged with Multiplayer thread.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

Quote Originally Posted by katsusand View Post
    I hope that is sarcasm.
    Care to elaborate on what's terrible about it?

I hope that is sarcasm.
    I don't see what's not to like about it. What's a better way to go around playing a multiplayer campaign? Dumbing down all of the mechanics so little 8 year old Jimmy playing as the Romans can conquer the map within an hour? Of course there's the option of creating a real time campaign, but that doesn't mean the game would be quick.

Besides, it'd be a lot of fun to drop into a scenario which other living people have created before you. The player would be born into a unique world with each game and assume the throne for a lifetime (or however long you play), leave a mark and then depart.

Don't like the idea? Cool. Just go play good old custom battles.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Care to elaborate on what's terrible about it?
    What's the point in playing a campaign when the AI takes over after you leave?
    The point of the campaign in the first place is to build and manage your own empire, not leave it for the AI after you finish a gaming session.

I don't think you understood what I was suggesting.

I don't think you understood what I was suggesting.
    Well, elaborate then.

You were saying the game is to be hosted on a persistent server, with the AI taking over when the player gets out or is defeated, Am I wrong?

Yes.

One correction I need to make here.

If you or your opponent is defeated the faction is destroyed.

What's the point in playing a campaign when the AI takes over after you leave?

When you or your opponent quits the game (for whatever reason) the game does not stop for the other players as the AI will fill in until another live player joins the server to fill that AI spot.

The point of the campaign in the first place is to build and manage your own empire, not leave it for the AI after you finish a gaming session.

Right, but considering this will be a real time campaign not everyone will be able to stick around to the finish it could take days, weeks (have you played a hotseat campaign?)

When you or your opponent quits the game (for whatever reason) the game does not stop for the other players as the AI will fill in until another live player joins the server to fill that AI spot.

That's exactly what I was saying.
    The problem with this idea is that the campaign mode isn't about short-term enjoyment where you pick up and play.

Moreover, this idea will present a lot of frustrating situations where you jump in a faction after a player, only to realize he playfully declared war on everyone, or put your finance in the red... or other intentional/unintentional mishaps.

This is why I think its a terrible idea.

Right, but considering this will be a real time campaign not everyone will be able to stick around to the finish it could take days, weeks (have you played a hotseat campaign?)
    I'm not saying there are better ideas out there, I'm just saying yours is not very good.

For the record, I don't think there is a good way to do a Massive MP campaign in a TW game, a lot of ideas presented so far aren't practical, yours included.

That's exactly what I was saying.
    The problem with this idea is that the campaign mode isn't about short-term enjoyment where you pick up and play.

Moreover, this idea will present a lot of frustrating situations where you jump in a faction after a player, only to realize he playfully declared war on everyone, or put your finance in the red... or other intentional/unintentional mishaps.

This is why I think its a terrible idea.

Why you would equate this with short term enjoyment I'm not sure. But I can assure you being able to quit doesn't mean people are going to join for 5 minutes screw everything up and then bail. Have you played a hotseat? Groups of players play together who know each other. And while you should be able to open the game to the public you should also be able to password protect it solving this particular concern.

Why you would equate this with short term enjoyment I'm not sure.
    Isn't it obvious?
    The satisfaction of the campaign map is to conquer lands and expand your empire and watch it come along, its something that is achieved in long-term after many turns, what point there is if I just hop into someone's empire, have a few battles, and then log-off?

But I can assure you being able to quit doesn't mean people are going to join for 5 minutes screw everything up and then bail. Have you played a hotseat? Groups of players play together who know each other. And while you should be able to open the game to the public you should also be able to password protect it solving this particular concern.
    It doesn't mean that everyone will screw things up, but its quite possible and I can see it being a very common problem.