Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rome II Campaign Discussion

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Default Rome II Campaign Discussion

I found this in the gameplay article, page 2:

One example of this kind of refinement will be the ability to govern whole provinces made up of a number of individual regions. Rather than delving into the micromanagement of each individual territory, it sounds like it’ll be possible to set policies for an entire region – but when it comes to warfare, each one of those areas will need to be conquered separately. “We still have that strategic depth where a province is made of up several regions which you can conquer”, Russell says. “And what that means is that you can have the benefit of scale but you don’t have the management detail.”
    I am a bit relieved. Wonder if Craig will read this and can add something more but whatever... sounds good so far.

Looks like your control regions and provinces, like in ETW but the smaller towns and villages within that region would be conquerable separately. This sounds good and obviously thats what I am looking forward to in previews. So hurry the hell up Craig and let us know.

Anyway, also looks like beach landings are a confirmed feature. Maybe we can have viking raids too. For instance, raiding a town.
    Last edited by MathiasOfAthens; July 02, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Campaign details: Post what you hear or expect regarding the Campaign

I think the region system will be similar to Victoria's 2.

Yeah thats possible.

I think one of the LARGEST criticisms of Empire was the inability to individually extend the empire, in for example: France. If you want a part of the region you had to take all of it or none of it.

The ability to create provinces would also been cool.

Likewise, there’s nothing – geography and resources aside – stopping a sufficiently well-managed coalition of Germanic tribes from becoming the dominant force of their time.
    This part though has me worried that they wont split the Gallic tribes up into several tribal factions.
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 02, 2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: d-post

Dominici's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Campaign details: Post what you hear or expect regarding the Campaign

I bet you can attack supply routes for armies with a smaller army. Sea battles, Sea landings!! Make laws That would be Fun. That is the way to get the people.
    A review of Rome II: II < I

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dominici View Post
    I bet you can attack supply routes for armies with a smaller army. Sea battles, Sea landings!! Make laws That would be Fun. That is the way to get the people.
    That is certainly what I hope for

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    This part though has me worried that they wont split the Gallic tribes up into several tribal factions.
    Or it means that you as a strong, capable leader can unite them all into one strong faction!

I expect there to be more political choices as well. The article mentions that instead of forming an empire wth Rome you could return to kingship. So governments are in.

I have no idea how to implement ambushes and supply raiding but this would be cool if CA could figure this out. Really would add a new feature to the game. To be able to control smaller bands of units behind enemy territory raiding and sacking villages.

Would be cool if you could launch a battle over a village in a raid. Perhaps 500 men are attacking a town and the objective isnt to just stand in the square but to control the government buildings? Perhaps there would be some way to generate more income from the raid if you accomplish some mission in the battle? Like I said idk.

But yeah attacking supply routes would be great. You could even attack invading armies and wear them down. So say you have some ambush units in a small group. Send them to attack the enemies army in your territory. Instead of fighting the entire army in a fixed battle you get the option to ambush smaller units in the army who are foraging or attack their supply train or whatever. Not sure how you would show this exactly but the idea is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    Or it means that you as a strong, capable leader can unite them all into one strong faction!
    Which would mean more diplomatic options. Like in EU3 or something. You could use diplomacy and marriage to create unions and coalitions which would be bloody awesome.

Unfortunately, CA was a little vague on that quote.
    Last edited by MasterBigAb; July 02, 2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: d-post

Let's hope they wont cut half of Persia in this new game as they did in the first one

Indefinitely Banned

Which would mean more diplomatic options. Like in EU3 or something. You could use diplomacy and marriage to create unions and coalitions which would be bloody awesome.

Unfortunately, CA was a little vague on that quote.
    Yeah or you just simply unite it with force!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazx View Post
    Let's hope they wont cut half of Persia in this new game as they did in the first one
    Don't worry. The map is expanded to the East. That means it must be to India or even further.

Yeah, of course Sparkle, two options at least - warefare or diplomacy. It might be easier to unite Gaul through diplomacy than to unite a Gallic tribe with Hispania through Diplomacy. Implying Culture is more important.

Indefinitely Banned

I'd like to see the Gauls, as well as the other tribal factions split up. Then you can use diplomacy to form strong alliances and confederacies to dominate the others, and at the last, centralize your tribal empire (like Burebista attempted to do with Dacians)

All factions will be playable according to this article in case you havn't heard already.

You can play the campaign from the off as any of the nations on Rome II’s map, that mass choice of cultures and combat styles that Rome’s wannabe empire and its enemies comprised – each with their own tech trees, content and internal conflict

As we all must know by now, it is confirmed!

However, it sounds as though the campaign is undergoing an overhaul - discuss:

You can play the campaign from the off as any of the nations on Rome II’s map, that mass choice of cultures and combat styles that Rome’s wannabe empire and its enemies comprised – each with their own tech trees, content and internal conflict. The campaign map will be bigger still than Rome 1′s, with all I can glean of the new territories to be explored/conquered being that the game will be “going further East” in addition to containing all the countries and sates of the first the game.

The map will also be scattered with invisible, branching storyline triggers which demand consequence-laden choices and dilemmas beyond the merely military regardless of which nation/state/tribe/faction you play as. It’s not quite procedural, but you won’t run into the same story ‘Easter eggs’ every time and they’re not locked to specifically Roman history and lore.
    Personally, I think it might make a change from the sometimes directionless campaigns of old - as long as it doesn't affect gameplay length or replayability, I'm fine with this. Thoughts of everyone else?

“In our 25th year of games development, it feels fitting to return to our most critically acclaimed era”, continued Rob Bartholomew, Brand Director. “There’s been a multi-generational leap in technology since the original game and we are ready to set another benchmark in gaming.”
    I called it first! 25th year? What better way to celebrate than making... y'know.
    Last edited by SonOfCrusader76; July 02, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Don't worry. The map is expanded to the East. That means it must be to India or even further.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamWarrior View Post
    All factions will be playable according to this article in case you havn't heard already.

That is great news

I think that much we know SamWarrior. But will they release several tribes in Gaul and Germany as independent factions or only a few and add more in DLCs?

I bet they will have several tribes as they said there is a lot of internal issues for each faction.

I bet there will be plenty of barbarian clans to choose from!

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Maybe it will just that, though? A coalition? They did mention something about adding internal conflict into the game. Perhaps the coalition can break, or you can create it or... anything, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

I think the region system will be similar to Victoria's 2.
    I wouldn't mind that.

It'll be like a better Victoria with battles.

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I do hope that they will allow us to play as one of the barbaric tribes (german/gaul/briton/iberian etc...) with a goal to unite the numerous weaker clans into one with either diplomacy or conquest.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    I do hope that they will allow us to play as one of the barbaric tribes (german/gaul/briton/iberian etc...) with a goal to unite the numerous weaker clans into one with either diplomacy or conquest.
    Again, a bit like Victoria II.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast