Thread: Increasing command traits

Default Increasing command traits

Morning all,

Was playing SS yesterday (Genoa, turn 83), I have most of north africa and have taken most of it with 1 general. Clearly then he's won many sieges and battles (including plenty of heroic victories), but has never gained a command increasing trait. He's got full dread (merciless conquerer etc) but only 1 command from the trait 'sharp' which he was born with.

Anyone else found this? Im playing with the basic Grimm reality mod not the advanced one.

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Re: Increasing command traits

The idea in bgr mods is that human players learn and thus do not need command stars which make the game progressively easier. They are for the ai which does not learn. That said, in bgr2 you still have all the usual SS and vanilla traits, therefore it is likely you have some trait which is deducting command. Have you viewed your traits?

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

hmm, that's odd ... I usually get a lot of command stars when I get heroic victories
    also, you get dread because you use your general very much in battle (I read in a topic a few weeks ago that if you kill a number of units with your general (forgot the number) you will trigger the winning first trait line which adds dread); for example, I had a battle with my FM against 8 militia units and I pwned them because militia sucks and the GB are very very strong and I achieved a heroic victory, but this didn't add chivalry to my general ... oh no, I got a retinue "Dread warrior" and the winning first trait line because my general killed lots of men
    or maybe you execute prisoners (but I think you already know that executing adds dread)
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

Libertus

Does seem rather odd... Like tudor said heroic victories and just winning battles usually give you command fairly easily. Must be some sort of trait lowering your command score >

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by tudor93 View Post
    hmm, that's odd ... I usually get a lot of command stars when I get heroic victories
    also, you get dread because you use your general very much in battle (I read in a topic a few weeks ago that if you kill a number of units with your general (forgot the number) you will trigger the winning first trait line which adds dread); for example, I had a battle with my FM against 8 militia units and I pwned them because militia sucks and the GB are very very strong and I achieved a heroic victory, but this didn't add chivalry to my general ... oh no, I got a retinue "Dread warrior" and the winning first trait line because my general killed lots of men
    or maybe you execute prisoners (but I think you already know that executing adds dread)
    Code:
    Trigger battle_Dread_fighting
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 8
           and not Trait BattleChivalry > 0

Affects BattleDread 1 Chance 5 
     Affects Brave 1 Chance 20 
     Affects Bloodthirsty 1 Chance 10
    The General gets a 5% chance of acquiring winning first trait (BattleDread), if he kills in battle >8 and he has no battle chivalry. He gets 20% chance of getting Brave trait, and 10% of Bloodthirsty trait. If you don't want to take the risk get battle chivalry trait first; *see code below there are multiple ways a General can acquire battle chivalry:

Code:
    Trigger battle_Chivalry_fighting
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 8
           and not Trait BattleDread > 0

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 25 
     Affects Brave 1 Chance 20 

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger battle_BattleChivalry_Defender
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
           and IsGeneral
           and BattleOdds <= 0.5
           and not Trait BattleDread >= 1
           and GeneralFoughtInCombat

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 85 

Trigger battle_BattleChivalry_Attacker
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
           and IsGeneral
           and WonBattle
           and BattleOdds <= 0.5
           and not Trait BattleDread >= 1
           and GeneralFoughtInCombat

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 33 

Trigger battle3Chivalry1_notchaserouters
     WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WonBattle
           and BattleSuccess >= average
           and PercentageEnemyKilled < 10
           and not GeneralFoughtInCombat
           and IsGeneral
           and BattleOdds < 0.95
           and not Trait BattleDread > 0

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 33

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

I'm confused ... I've always wondered but never bothered to ask: what's this battle chivalry/dread you all speak of ? there are more types of chivalry or what's the deal ?
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

Battle chivalry/dread are 2 lines of traits that can give up to 4 or 5 chivalry/dread. There aren't different types of chivalry or dread. These are just 2 common trait lines which give a lot of chivalry/dread.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaRosario View Post
    Battle chivalry/dread are 2 lines of traits that can give up to 4 or 5 chivalry/dread. There aren't different types of chivalry or dread. These are just 2 common trait lines which give a lot of chivalry/dread.
    They are also notorious for being pretty irritating, as you can't lose them. Kind of sucks if your governors loses their chivalry due to fighting rebels, or your planned dreadlord loses dread due to fighting "fair" battles.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
    They are also notorious for being pretty irritating, as you can't lose them. Kind of sucks if your governors loses their chivalry due to fighting rebels, or your planned dreadlord loses dread due to fighting "fair" battles.
    Traits can be influenced by understanding the triggers. This way your governors don't loose chivalry even after fighting rebels.
    Try printing out a list of all the traits + triggers available to Governors/Generals. Keep the printout in front of you; for reference, as you play.
    From a roleplaying/character creation perspective using such a list also feels less random. In time you will learn how to obtain specific traits/avoid
    undesirable traits without having to refer to the printout so much. Such list helped me a great deal in making specific characters with specific
    traits; either govern/economics or fighting wars etc.