Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Default Re: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

You have obviously noticed the Otomo mon on the banner in the screenshot above. Basically i have scratched my head for a long time before choosing the other clan to face the Otomo, especially a clan that was not displayed in my previous battles.

It's a kind of "major minor" clan, it is an absolutely pivotal one all things considered (but not in the way you think...), but this clan has probably never fought the Otomo, nor even any major battle during the Sengoku Jidai i think. This battle is purely fictional, it is based on the latest stages of my campaign where clans rise in some type of alternative versions of history thanks to the game mechanisms !

Additional hint: it is a clan you have updated in your latest version of ACC.
    Last edited by le_fred; February 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM.

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Well, based on that info, I'm guessing we'll see either the Amako or the Imagawa as the opponent to the Otomo, and when taking account the chance of not having fought the firearms clan in reality, I'd say Imagawa.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Well, that's not the Amako or the Imagawa clan, but i haven't helped very much with my small hints i am afraid

OTOMO / ASHIKAGA

1572. The Sengoku Jidai is coming to an end. The ruling Otomo clan is in control of Kyoto and its daimyo Otomo Sorin deposed the former Shogun 1 year ago.
    Many clans still oppose the new ruler, if not challenge him. Few loyal supporters of Otomo Sorin are to be found outside Kyushu, their main sphere of influence.

But in summer 1572, the former shogun Ashikaga Yoshiaki forms a large coalition of rebel clans and Buddhists and plans to take back Kyoto - subsequently trying to restore his power.
    This final battle might decide of the fate of Japan for hundreds of years...

Otomo Sorin is present at the battle. His best and most loyal bushi have joined his army. They display the famous Otomo blue mon on white background.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Otomo are well equipped and count many modern units, including seasoned teppo units.

Few Otomo horsemen have come from their distant homes in Kyushu with a horse, therefore there is only a few light skirmish cavalry units to bring some kind of tactical mobility to the Otomo.
    Despite their small numbers, they are well equipped like their foot counterpart and count many firearms.

The power of the Otomo comes from their extraordinary wealth. Some say their Western god grants them blessings, but many know that their power comes from their gaijin Christian allies the Portugese, and their fearsome infantry lines. A few Portuguese tercos form the Otomo reserves.

Facing the Otomo, the Ashikaga count many traditional units, and lots of clans leaders have brought their best bodyguards on horse.
    They display a white Ashikaga Mon on black background.

Very few clans have access to fire arms outside of the Otomo and their allies, the Ashikaga don't have any in their ranks. However, they have skilled archers in good numbers.

The bulk of the Ashikaga's army is made of shock infantry units and impetuous cavalry samurai.

Ashikaga Yoshiaki has also come to lead his men. He orders his men to move forward - the battle has started !
    The Seigen's swordmasters and their gigantic No Dachi are willing to prove the shogun that no one has - nor will - ever resisted one of their charges.

A few hundreds yards from here, the Otomo are also on the move.

Last edited by le_fred; March 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Skirmish

The Otomo vanguard moves to the right flank of the battle through the woods to provoke the Ashikaga cavalry units.

The Otomo mounted gunners split into two groups, and cross the river. Following them, but with a good distance, another group of light cavalry samurai waits for the right moment to engage.

The Ashikaga react quickly and loose a first volley of flaming arrows, immediately followed by the charge of their cavalry on the advancing enemy.

The Otomo ready their firearm, aim carefully, wait for the enemy to be at the right range... and fire.

An Otomo officer proudly looks at the decimated Ashikaga cavalry through the thick smoke.

The moment to charge with light cavalry has come. The charge is led by an impressive black samurai firmly holding his yari.

Followed by dozens of his men, he trows his weapon like a javelin and breaks through the Ashikaga infantry.
    PS: He's probably the first of his kind, using an unknown power to throw his weapon without touching it (look at his hand). Some said he was called Otomo Vader and was famous for his black cape and distinctive kabuto...

Taking advantage of the chaos following the Otomo charge, some mounted gunners withdraw and reload their weapons, immediately followed by the whole cavalry pack.

The disciplined Otomo fire and withdraw, having the Ashikaga units under constant fire.

The Ashikaga try to catch their enemies but the Otomo withdraw even further, refusing the fight.

The foolish Ashikaga follow their target close to the river banks, where they get stuck and destroyed by bullet salvos.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Range battle

The main battle lines are getting closer, but neither the Otomo nor the Ashikaga feel ready for a full frontal assault. A ranged duel starts, opposing archers and teppo units.

Arshikaga archers loose a first volley while the Otomo kneel and fire their weapons.

Some Otomo samurai archers loose arrows above the heads of the teppo units in front of them. On a lucky shoot, they kill the officer leading the Ashikaga archers.

Soon it is clear the coordinated fire and the huge number of range units of the Otomo has given them an edge in the missile duel. The Ashikaga withdraw and regroup.

In the Ashikaga ranks, the impatience grows. Toda Seigen himself awaits for the signal of the charge.

Otomo Sorin is also ready for the final assault. His army has inflicted significant losses to the Ashikaga and he expects the enemy to charge his lines soon.

Sorin orders his men to take a good position with a clear line of sight uphill. The Otomo must resist the Ashikaga charge !
    But the move is risky and the Ashikaga are now at bow range.

Well positioned, the Otomo teppo units unload their guns with great precision and inflict many casualties on the main lines of the Ashikaga.
    With their long experience of firearms, Tanegashima Tokitaka and 40 of his men, are especially deadly with around 20 enemies killed per volley. After all, those men introduced the first muskets to Japan !

Behind the lines, the Portuguese soldiers are waiting. They will take their share of the battle soon enough.

Aware of the relative weakness of his army in melee, Otomo Sorin doesn't want to take any risk. He reshapes his right flank in "V".

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Infantry assault

The Ashikaga start their assault.

The cavalry leads the assault and covers ground as quickly as they can. The battlefield is covered by the sound of galloping horses.

For a second, the time flows very slowly, everything seems surreal and suspended in the air.

The second after, the Ashikaga cavalry has almost reached the Otomo first line.
    On the Otomo left flank, late withdrawing gunners are taken by surprise by the speed of the assault.
    The time for an Otomo to look back at the battlefield, he discovers 3 horsemen next to him, whose leader rides straight in his direction and stares at him.

On the Otomo right flank, the impact is terrible for the infantry and gunners while many Ashikaga horses get shot point blank as well.

In the center, several Otomo units withdraw in a coordinated move, breaking the Ashikaga momentum.
    The battle has now two main melees.

Following the cavalry charge, the rest of the Ashikaga infantry units reach the Otomo lines.

Otomo Sorin watches the large opening in the center of the battle line. He gives the order to his Portuguese gunners to move forward.

Directly facing the Otomo reserves, the Ashikaga cavalry has no choice but to quickly turn tail.

Too late. The Portuguese gunners open fire on the cavalry facing them, causing havoc among the Ashikaga.

Stuck between the river and the Otomo gunners, Ashikaga Yoshiaki must quickly take action to preserve his life and keep a chance to get back his title of Shogun.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

The moment of truth

The Ashikaga cavalry is now stuck melee after its devastating charge.

The Ashikaga infantry benefits from the impact of the cavalry charge and seems difficult to stop. They are vastly superior to the Otomo ashigaru.

For each dead Ashikaga, three Otomo fall in return.

The melee is compact, each side pushing to hold its ground.

The Otomo reserves are given order to support the left flank. They have to face fierce naginata female warriors. Can they save the day?

The fight is quite balanced.

In the center, the Ashikaga cavalry has successfully engaged a large group of Portuguese gunners.

The center is controlled by the Ashikaga. They push harder through the Otomo ranks. Seigen's men cut through their enemies like through pape

At the end of the right flank, the Ashikaga can't break through the Otomo spear wall. Many of their comrades are indeed busy pushing in the center melee.

The Ashikaga heroines kill many Otomo despite their small number.

In the center, the Portuguese are overwhelmed by the Ashikaga heavy cavalry and armored footmen.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

Sharpshooters

The moment is crucial for the Otomo. To maintain control on the Ashikaga cavalry butchering his men, Otomo Sorin charges with his hatamoto while his remaining reserves are ordered to shoot in the melee.

The Portuguese sharpshooters cause a lot of kills in the Ashikaga units.

After the massive charge of the Ashikaga cavalry, the Otomo mounted skirmishers were left free to maneuver. They have repositioned themselves in the back of the Ashikaga army and they attack the Ashikaga small reserves.

The initative is on the Otomo's side. They reposition many of their men while the main battles are very disputed.

The sharpshooters pressure is stronger than ever, the Ashikaga morale plummets.

A first massive panic movement happens. The Ashikaga break in the center!

Overwhelmed by the numbers of Otomo samurai, the Naginata heroines fall one by one, to the last of them.

Seigen and his 40 men are left alone in the center of the battlefield. The other Ashikaga have already fled. They move towards the gunners in a last banzai charge. A first volley of bullets kill 10 of them. Then another one kills ten more men. At 30 meters of the line, only of handful of men remain... then Seigen turns tail and withdraws!

Otomo Sorin stares at the battlefield. The remaining Ashikaga leave the field when they are not killed by missiles. His army is in very bad shape, but the rebels are no more. Many heroes have died today, but for sure one of them will be hailed for many years as the most prominent lord of Japan and the first of a long line of Otomo shoguns. Today, the Lord and his son Jesus Christ have blessed him with his most brilliant victory. Long live the Shogun!

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

WoW +rep asap!
    This

Looks connected with this screen I made today

Muskets, smoke, otomo... mmm, nice

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

@le_fred

WHAT A BATTLE!!! I'm amazed how many particularly dramatic moments you've managed to capture in that massive clash, one of which Vennonetes also singled out. I don't think I'd be able to do that even if I tried hard. And even without a single word, you managed to convey the dramatic development of the battle, as I percieved it, with the Otomo clan first appearing to get the upper hand, the Ashikaga seemingly about to turn the tide in brutal close combat, but the Otomo coming back with their many sharpshooters to decide the outcome in their own favor (found special pleasure in seeing some units from the Heroes & Saints DLC taking part of it all). Clearly rep-impressive!

Must consider at least one of your screenies from this battle for the gamer's corner of the ACC thread...

When I guessed the Imagawa clan to be the opponent to the Otomo, I was a bit surprised that you'd go for them among the updated bunch. Most other clans that have recieved an update turned out better, IMO. But, yeah, the Ashikaga should be considered a "major minor clan", too, as they were the "ruling" clan at the time, albeit so weak that they allowed other clans to challenge their authority and create the all-against-all struggle that characterized the Warring States period of Japan. The Ashikaga are one of the clans I reckon to be my better jobs of late, and the Otomo are another. So I liked your show a lot, le_fred, and thank you for it. What made you go for the Ashikaga here?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Hi to both of you, thanks for the appreciation, i am glad we have the same passion for the Otomo hehe ! I am still amazed by the level of details that the game engine allows, you can almost see feelings on the faces or feel the pain of the soldiers. It gives a sense of intensity to screenshots. The improvement over NTW and ETW is outstanding.

@ Demokritos - Well, i must say that the fact there is no text is simply because i haven't found the time to comment the pictures yet. But it is true the story is self explanatory in some respect !
    There is still an interesting part i'd like to explain further, especially the key maneuver i did with the Otomo units and that brought them victory despite their broken units in melee.

I have chosen the Ashikaga because of my Otomo campaign, in which the Ashikaga conquered several provinces around Kyoto and were a force to reckon with. When was the time to take Kyoto, i had to crush the Ashikaga Shogunate in several provinces and it was not an easy task. On top of that, they had the support of so many clans - for sure as i was a Christian lord. That's why i have included 2 hero units with the Ashigaka, and 1 matchlock hero with the Otomo, so i could illustrate the clash of the two leading clans around the Kyoto region and the involvement of many other clans in this war. It was a good way to display the new units of ACC too, indeed !

I think it was a good choice to select the Ashikaga because i like their colors very much too, and the black versus white sashimono is always a nice sight from a design point of view.
    I will finish the text soon (not that much i needed i think to be honest, just a bit of context is always nice for dramatic effects) and then prepare the pictures for the Date Takeda siege !

@ Vennonetes - true, the one you chose is one of my favourites, together with this one below. It has a good balance of colors, it is dramatic with black versus white sahimono and of course the dying and shouting samurai. I was really happy when i saw the cropped version of the screenshot !

Last edited by le_fred; February 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

A few non cropped pics of my future battle featuring the Date and the Takeda.
    The previous Otomo Ashikaga battle comments will be finished tomorrow.

VENNONETES's Avatar Vicarius

Lovely indeed! But no VuS here

Won the POTW Gold medal at 15 years, 7 months, and 198 days on 25/12/2013 ^_^

Proudly one of the 5 who won the POTW silver medal! (won it at 14 years, 10 months and 24 days on 31/03/2013 at 03.03 PM GMT +1)

OLD SIG

That was my first rush through my replay with fewer options.
    Look at what it gives with Vastator mod (will be included in the final version.)

PS: please notice the fantastic gloss effects from SuperGhostBoy, the leather and lacquered reflections are amazing.

Last edited by le_fred; March 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM.

The comments for the Ashikaga Otomo battle are finally uploaded. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by le_fred View Post
    The comments for the Ashikaga Otomo battle are finally uploaded. Enjoy!
    I did enjoy it, greatly - including "Otomo Vader", haha! Bringing rep from me as soon as I'm allowed to give it to you again, my friend. Thank you for sharing your dramatic stories!

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

speachless!

@DramaBelli
    Thanks for the comment!

I am to finish the pictures selection for my next battle, upload probably this week end or early next week.

A slight delay for the upload due to the massive number of screens i need to select (before selection i have more than 600).

Plus a change of format to enjoy better cinematic views, and of course a bit of time to upload all of that on the forum, which is very unstable as you may have noticed.

Anyway, with 4 armies and 2 main battles happening at the same time, i can guarantee it's going to be an epic watch !!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast