Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Default Re: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

A quick preview on some Fall of the Samurai footage i am working on, featuring the Choshu domain !
    Battle extract from my current campaign.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !

MORI / OZU
    (modern Choshu / traditional Ozu)

Summer 1868. It has been a year since Sakamoto Ryoma was murdered by Shogunate activists. The sudden uprising of Shikoku clans loyal to the Shogun was a second blow for the Tosa and has led to their fall.
    Shikoku is now in the hands of the Shogunate. The Choshu / Satsuma Alliance has sent two armies to invade Shikoku. The Mori lead the Northern army and besiege Matsuyama castle in Iyo province.
    The Ozu clan sallies forth to meet them on the field.

Note: this is a battle in my current campaign, DMS on VH, turn 100+. This is total war in Japan since the realm divide occurred.

The Mori army has set its camp in an open field, while the area is surrounded by hills and woods. The troops are modern for a large part and deployed to take advantage of the flat terrain.

Two batteries of Parrot guns take position in the rear.

To the East, the army is well protected by buildings on its flank and yari troops in reserve. The men are confident, but it is their first large scale battle...

The guns are ready to fire, awaiting orders. The enemy is expected to come through the hills in front of them. The Mori general has placed his most experienced troops in the center, White bear infantry.

A few hundreds meters from there, the Ozu clan is on the move. It follows the old way of the samurai and counts many melee traditional units.

The large army advance is steady, out of sight from the Mori and hidden by the surrounding hills.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Ready Aim Fire

Without much visibility, the canon attendants open fire on the hill the Ozu are climbing.

The first Ozu units are barely visible, the cannon shots are not yet very effective.

The Ozu units reach the top of the hill, they are still partially covered by the woods.

With the Mori on sight, the Ozu speed up now that they are easier targets. A few cannon shots reach their lines.

The Ozu general is supervising the advance of the troops.

The Ozu reach the limits of the wood. The enemy is only two or three hundred meters away.

With a clear line of sight on the Ozu, the Mori general makes a sign to the cannon gunners.

A ball of fire explodes above the Ozu army. Its effect is devastating. Shrapnel !

It is not enough to impress an army of samurai. The Ozu stay on the move.

Last edited by le_fred; September 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Charge !

The enemy is at range, both generals pass the word to their officers. The Mori infantry is ready to open fire, the Ozu one is ready to charge.

The Mori first line opens fire, kneels, then the second rank follows.

One hundred fifty meters. A coordinated barrage of artillery hits the fast moving Ozu army.

Less than a hundred meters. The Ozu ranged units loose flaming arrows on the well grouped Mori infantry.

On the Western flank, Yari samurai are on the move while the infantry is closing in with the defenders.
    Fifty meters.

Taking advantage of the terrain granting them a partial cover, the mounted samurai charge straight ahead. For the Shogun !

The impact is devastating. The Mori line is pierced.

Thirty meters. A powerful battle cry covers even the cracking sounds of the Mori rifles.

Contact. The Ozu momentum is noticeable. It is time to strike back at the Mori and fight like men at last !

A couple of seconds later, the second wave of Ozu troops enters the mele. The White bear troops are wavering, stunned.

The samurai cavalry has the upper hand on the disorganized Kihetai. Still the Mori hold their ground.

Heavy casualties for the Mori. Their center is about to collapse.

Last edited by le_fred; September 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

The outcome

The small Mori reserve does a bayonet counter charge to support the wavering center.

The Mori general sends his 3 remaining Yari units into the melee. The Ozu are outnumbered two to one in the center, still each of them take down many opponents before getting killed.

The Mori's final card is played: a flanking maneuver by saber cavalry parallel to the main line of battle.

The move is successful, the Ozu reserve can't reach the melee center to support their comrades.

On the Western flank, Mori shooters keep the Ozu under constant fire.

An artillery miscalculation kills a complete platoon of Mori infantry. Damn.

Suddenly, the Ozu second line retreat.The remaining Ozu samurai don't break and fight to the last man. The Mori can't pursue them, stuck in melee.

The Mori try desperately to rout the units covering the Ozu retreat by charging them.

With only a few mounted troops, the Mori have only artillery to inflict casualties to the Ozu while the are leaving the field. The remaining troops still fighting rout at last.

The last Ozu troops on the field run for their lives, while the bulk of their army is moving to Matsuyama castle in rather good order.

The Mori general chases down lonely fleeing enemies. That's a bitter victory for him today, and his campaign might come to an end tomorrow.
    With the Ozu force well preserved, his own massive losses during the melee and the lack of reinforcement, it is unlikely the siege will be successful...

Campaign note

Cut from my base without reinforcement, i had to re embark my broken army the next turn to Honshu to avoid being trapped by the allies of the Ozu in Shikoku.
    Last edited by le_fred; September 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

superb pics le_fred!
    nobody should mess with an angry bunch of samurai^^
    how many soldiers got killed on each side? Looks pretty even

Some images are unbelievably good. This is talent. Only few can make out so much from a single battle and provide these amazing storylines. I am going to promote your latest story to the DarthMod Facebook page, the least I can do to thank you. Please give more. I enjoy watching this instead of playing myself. Really.

Great work Fred! You have inspired me to begin my own darthmod tale of Samurai times. I am enjoying my Sengoku Mori campaign at the moment (featuring the great Motonari), but I think for the next one I will have to go for the big kahuna, the Demon King. I need to touch up on the history before I undertake such a monumental task, and it will be my first Oda campaign as well. Thanks for inspiring me!

And Darth, thank you for everything you have brought to TW. This mod has given me far more than I would have ever thought possible. I hope I continue to enjoy it for years to come, and I'm sure I will.

Thanks for the appreciation all !

To answer the first question, i lost around 2,500 men out of my 4,500, while the Ozu lost the same for 5,000 men. My line was mostly on 1 line and 3 ranks per unit. The Ozu had 3 units in succession of 4 ranks deep in the center in comparison, you can imagine the push on a single white bear unit...so my center took a beating. I was expecting the AI to flank me and it went straight in the center that time .

Darth, i recorded a new 40 vs 40 units battle in Fots earlier today, it was a fantastic battle, i hope the pics i will post later will re create well the atmosphere of the fight.

DATE / MATSUDAIRA
    (modern Sendai / traditional Aizu)

1868. It has been 2 years since the Western alliance was destroyed by the Shogunate forces. With the British changing side and supporting Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the Choshu and Satsuma clans are vanquished.
    The modernization of Japan continues and still creates a lot of resistance among the traditionalist clans. Many believe the Shogun is a puppet in the hands the British, which hold major positions in the Shogunate military hierarchy. In 1867, the region of Edo rebelled once again against the dominion of the Sendai and the British in order to bring back true power to the Shogun. Matsudaira Katamori has sent an army to Uzen province to strike at the Sendai.

Note: i will release this long battle in 5 parts (easier to do and a bit of teasing is never a bad thing !!)
    , probably 1 part per day in the coming week. Thanks.

Katamori has planned his attack carefully. He doesn't have a modern army in such an extent as the Sendai, but he is confident he can beat the on the field with the appropriate tactics. Most of Aizu troops progress hidden in the forest to avoid Sendai massive artillery units.

The Sendai army counts many British elite troops among its ranks. They bring discipline to the infantry and fight very well in all situations. They are supported by the latest guns which are taking position in the rear, behind a small hill. The Aizu army is not yet in sight.

Sendai troops count also several units of the feared Shogunate guards, followed by the regular rifle infantry. The Sendai are taking position on top of one of the hill overlooking the area.

The final destination of the Sendai is almost reached. The place will provide a welcome cover and should be difficult to take for their enemy.

On the other side of the battle field, the Aizu army is surprising patchwork of traditional units and a few modern ones. It counts many outdated teppo and sword units.

At the rear of the army, the famous White Tiger infantry men have joined. They are the only regular infantry rifle units of the Aizu, and should play a major role in the battle.

The Aizu spear cavalry is ready, waiting for the signal to scout the battlefield. Finally, the order is given. Forward !

The Aizu are supported by guerrilla mounted troops equipped with revolver, and those troops are sent as the army vanguard to take position with discretion on the Western flank of the army.

Once it is done, they are ordered act as scouts and defend the position if needed. They remain quiet and are barely noticeable.

The bulk of the Aizu army remains far behind, out of reach from the Sendai artillery. A few additional regiments of Sendai rifle infantry progress in the forest to protect the flanks while the last Shogunate troops reach their battle positions.

The Sendai scouts are on their way on the Western side of the battle.

They are discovered by the Aizu cavalryman on watch. He turns back quickly to warn his comrades.

The Sendai are on alert, the rebels are on sight ! Charge !

The Aizu scouts won't have many chances to break the Sendai cavalry. They wait carefully until they're at range and open fire. The first rank of the Sendai is decimated.

They reload their revolvers in a hurry for a second volley.

Fire ! the second volley is shot at very close range and is even more devastating than the first one. Dozen of Sendai horsemen are killed before reaching the woods.

A heavy smoke covers the ground and the charge isn't successfull. The Sendai must turn back and withdraw due to their losses.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

A desperate stand

With the Aizu spotted clearly, the Sendai open fire with their artillery and their infantry on the Western flank.

Carbine cavalry units are getting dangerously close from the woods where the artillery strikes. The Sendai put even more pressure on the Aizu who are forced to face them with their revolver cavalry.

The cavalry duel has started: short range and quick volleys against long range precise shots.

Despite the heavy fire, the Sendai are getting closer from the Aizu. The coordinate fire from infantry and carbine cavalry inflict heavy casualties to the Aizu. How long are they going to hold their position ?

The Aizu unload their revolver as quickly as they can in a desperate attempt to break the Sendai elite cavalry.

But the Aizu run out of ammo and the push is too strong. The Sendai engage the Aizu skirmish cavalry.

The fight is too unbalanced and the Aizu can't hold their ground against cavalry and infantry shootings. They have to withdraw.

The Sendai army is now in full control of the two hills and can move forward.

The whole right flank of the Sendai starts moving to take position on the ground the Aizu have just left. Only one unit of prevents them from flanking the Aizu army: fierce white tigers figthers who are under heavy fire and losing many men.

Another heroic unit of white tigers regroup on the hill under a rain of bullets.

The white tigers are now in position to fire back at the Sendai, their officer orders to loose the first volley to push back the Sendai and buy some time.

The whole Aizu army is converge to bring reinforcements on the Western flank. The Aizu infantry takes position to prepare the assault but lose a good third of their men in the open.

The Aizu teppo kachi and archers take position in the center, in the open while the wavering White Tigers fire another volley.

Last edited by le_fred; October 04, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

The old ways of fighting

The Aizu are now in position. The enemy is within firing range.

With White tigers in the first rank and keeping on shooting, the first arrows whistle in the air from the second and third ranks of the Aizu army

The Shogunate troops on the Sendai flanks start losing men.

The archers get the support from teppo units positioned in front of them and having a clear line of sight on the Sendai. A second deadly volley of arrows and bullets reach the Sendai infantry. And then a third one.

The melee infantry is running towards the Sendai ranks. Their morale is weakening.

The Sendai infantry under fire has lost a good half of its men. The situation is critical.

A volley of matchlocks finish them off, and they start routing.

On the Western flank, the Aizu infantry has entered the killzone. This is the final run before contact.

The charge has started. The first shock is hard to bear for the Sendai. The first Sendai rank is cut down at once.

The melee is formed: bayonets against katana blades. The fight is unbalanced for the Sendai but the Aizu lost many men from the shooting during the advance.

In the center, the Aizu infantry is the target of multiple units. Only a third of the units reach the Sendai line. They are facing a wall of bayonets.

Still they fight with a desperate vigor.

The fight goes well for the Aizu, none of the Sendai has often fought old style samurai in melee during their career. They fall like crop during the harvest.

It is not enough for the Aizu: they are stopped in their push and the Sendai numbers are overwhelming.

On the flank, the routing Sendai infantry has been replaced by Shogunate guards. They are not ready to break that soon even under arrows and bullets storm.

The Aizu reserves are on their way to support the weakened kachi units. But they are really frightened by the coordinated fire of the Sendai, and they are a very easy target in the middle of the battlefield. Shogunate units and British veterans aim at them.

The Aizu kachi keep on fighting, killing dozens of foes. But they start tiring.

The fight goes on, and only the Western flank it seems that the Aizu are getting the upper hand.

A second yari spearmen reserve is ordered to abbreviate the fight on the Western flank to create a first breach in the Sendai defensive line. The surviving revolver cavalry is positioned on the flank in that regards as well.

Last edited by le_fred; October 05, 2012 at 08:18 AM.

The fall

On the Eastern flank, both armies march through the forest and finally meet in the open for a range battle.

The Sendai infantry line faces white tigers and black tortoise troops. The ranks are in good order and ready to fire.

The Sendai shoot first, crippling the Aizu infantry. The Aizu return fire with much less efficiency.

Coming from the smoke, then Sendai can hear a loud battle cry. Dark sashimono appear from behind the Aizu and start charging !

The Aizu samurai fight for a time and finally rout the disorganized Sendai infantry.

Not far from there, the Shogunate Armstrong guns keep on pounding the Aizu battle lines. The winning Aizu troops march on them to neutralize the threat.

The gunners put little resistance before leaving the battlefield.

In the center, the battle goes on. The British troops kill many matchlock gunners. Doubt builds up in their ranks when fire arrows destroy a good part of them.

Well positioned on high ground, the matchlocks are surprisingly very effective, even at long range. The Sendai levy reserve are now taking part of the battle.

the fire arrows keep on showering the Brits. Their ranks get thinner.

The Aizu reserves have reached the melee center almost unscathed. They are a good support to the decimated remaining units of kachi and spear levies. The battlefield is covered with hundreds of dead coming from both armies.

The Shogunate elite troops are not in a favorable situation fighting in melee.

The Aizu troops cut deep into the Sendai ranks, nothing seems able to stop them now.

Finally, the Sendai Western flank units turn back and try to retreat. The Aizu follow with their skirmish cavalry.

The Sendai center still holds but the troops are surrounded.

Finally, the center breaks and the whole first line of the Sendai routs.

Last edited by le_fred; October 05, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

Victory !

Katamori orders his cavalry to chase and destroy the cavalry reserve of the Sendai to protect his flanks.

The fight happens in the forest, and the Sendai sabre cavalry gets torn to pieces by the charge.

In the center, the rear guard of the Sendai holds its ground. The British troops push back the Aizu, supported by their general.

Some Aizu samurai engage the general unit but they are so exhausted they get butchered. Cavalrymen and infantry strike, evade and counter blows.

Disaster for the Sendai ! Their general watches, helpless, at the first levy units while they are routing. All seems lost for the Shogunate. Abandoned by his men, the Sendai general is surrounded and fights bravely for his life. Many Aizu die trying to capture him.

The Sendai units are withdrawing en masse, levies are followed by the British. The battle is lost.

Shamefur dispray. Only the Sendai general survives his bodyguards and flees to the North while the bulk of his men withdraw in disorder.

Victory for the Aizu, death to the British traitors !
    The Aizu are now regrouping their exhausted troops when they realize ...

...that a lone units of Shogunate lancers charge them in the rear in a crazy counter attack !! The unprepared Aizu units are trampled by the treacherous charge.

The charge is a complete massacre.

Taken by surprise, Katamori is furious. He orders his cavalry to push back the attackers and to kill them to the last man...

...when - Alert !!- a second shogunate cavalry unit gallops out of the forest to charge another infantry unit ! The white tigers break the charge with a point blank volley !!

Katamori's furious charge destroys the first Shogunate cavalry unit. Damn Sendai !

Oh God... Hidden in the smoke, a third sabre cavalry charge shatters the white tigers while they reload !

The white tigers are no match for the Sendai cavalry, the whole Western flank is wavering.

Some Aizu infantry units try to support the Aizu troops, but they reach the Sendai exhausted and in disorder....

...when a FOURTH cavalry unit charges the Aizu line !! This time, the targets are Shinsengumi fighters.

The charge is stopped by the Shinsengumi. One of them stands up, draws his sword and cuts down the Sendai officer horse in the belly....

...with a powerful and elegant blow...

... while the unlucky brave soldier gets shot several times.

The Shinsengumi carefully reload their guns, expecting another suicide charge. But nothing happens. The battle is finally over.

Last edited by le_fred; October 05, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Final upload of the pictures and comments, i hope you enjoyed watching as much as i did capturing this battle. It was one of the most memorable one i played in Shogun, especially the surprising ending...

Oh my... oh my. What to say. It could be a storyboard for a Shogun movie. I got thrilled watching this. Magnificent story. Excellent Battle. Please provide more with 4,3+ version... magnificent Le Fred! Well done. Can you remind me who was the AI and who you? I get confused with the Japan names. You were the winner right?

I played the Aizu rebels, traditionalist army led by Matsudaira Katamori, including the samurai kachi, teppo kachis, Shogitai and archers, with a couple of modern units White Tigers, Black Tortoise, Shinsengumi and revolver cavalry.
    The AI played the Shogunate Sendai with British allied troops, all modern army including infantry line, Armstrong guns, foot shogunate guards, British royal marines, carbine cavalry (cavalry rang duel) and Shogunate lancer cavalry (visible in the last charge).

I won the battle but the AI managed to lead the counter attack while i was stopping the pursuit after winning the main battle.

By the way, you can see that the AI (Shogunate Sendai) doesn't use kneel fire, and i think i would have had a very hard time if the AI had used it. In a way i got lucky !
    Last edited by le_fred; October 06, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Despite the lack of Kneel Fire, I think the AI did really well by firing all the time. It seemed like an epic battle.
    By the way I think the game has serious flaws yet but unfortunately are not addressed yet.
    Vanilla issues:
    The AI seldom or never uses special abilities, the Parrot gun has no muzzle effect (one simple db entry to fix, every mod fixed that), the AI artillery wanders in the custom battles, the units some times break dance... these are a few.

We cannot fix them, only the CA devs can.

For Rise of the Samurai players, i have recorded a great 2 x 20 vs 2 x 20 stacks battle in my Taira campaign.
    Nice pictures are on their way, it is a matter of a few days. Stay tuned !

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast