Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Default Re: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

@ Demokritos
    Yes, custom battles, so i can easily take around 30 to 40 units on each side.

For the composition of each army, i try to give a basic structure to the army first, ashigaru and ashigaru archers, then around 6 to 8 units of cavalry on each side because the AI is very good when given cavalry units, i am often surprised by the creativity of its charge. It creates also a lot of shifts in the battle. And of course the animations in Shogun are such a marvel !

The rest depends on scenario i am planning: katana for attack, naginata for holding the ground, yari for protecting the flanks, + a bunch of special units (mortars + bombs vs mounted gunners, or monks for Uesugi and Ikko Ikki) for a bit of variety.

The most difficult part is to choose the battlefield + season + weather to create an atmosphere - my favourite one is the snow in the Uesugi Ikki Ikki battle because your have a strong contrast in colours + strong shadows effects, but i will try a night battle with rain in the next one (if it works well...)

What's fun is i try a couple of times the battle until i am happy with the AI behavior, its use of the landscape and of course the balance of the battle - adjusting some units, replacing others, changing the season etc.

For the Hojo Tokugawa battle, i was first planning to play the Hojo and to lose, but i found it easier to manage myself the mounted gunners, a bit hard for the AI. I was not even planning for the final outcome, when it became an opportunity, i found it a great to make it happen !

@ Darth
    Thanks for the compliment, especially coming from a great TW contributor like you ! I am sure you have noticed the amazing Darth effects on smoke especially, very important item for the immersion !
    Last edited by le_fred; July 03, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Well, if you use a mod that enables all factions to be played in custom battles, any minor clans coming up?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    Well, if you use a mod that enables all factions to be played in custom battles, any minor clans coming up?
    Good guess my friend, if you look at what major clans are still missing, namely Oda and Shimazu, you can also guess the historically relevant minor clans i am shooting at the moment maybe ?

@ Darth
    Thanks for the compliment, especially coming from a great TW contributor like you ! I am sure you have noticed the amazing Darth effects on smoke especially, very important item for the immersion !
    Yes of course I noticed, although in some pictures I see vanilla effects (with the big red glow gun smoke).

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Yes of course I noticed, although in some pictures I see vanilla effects (with the big red glow gun smoke).
    I have used the Darth effects for the Tokugawa Hojo battle but not for the first 3 stories.

When there is not much gunpowder units like in the other stories, i prefer to turn the effects off and use a blood retexture mod from SuperGhostBoy to give a more visceral effect in melee.

Quote Originally Posted by le_fred View Post
    Good guess my friend, if you look at what major clans are still missing, namely Oda and Shimazu, you can also guess the historically relevant minor clans i am shooting at the moment maybe ?
    Meaning that you're not shooting a battle between Oda and Shimazu next, but these two major clans separately vs a minor clan based on historical conflicts? In the latter case, my guess would be Oda vs Imagawa (or Saito) and Shimazu vs Ito.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

SHIMAZU / OTOMO

1578 - Hyuga / Bungo province border

The Shimazu family is the only major daimyo family remaining in control of significant portions of Kyushu. They are beginning to extend their influence over Otomo and Ryuzoji lands.
    In fall season, Otomo Sorin orders one of his generals to cross the border with a 10,000 men attack force to step into Hyuga province, controlled by the Shimazu.

The Otomo army needs to cross two rivers to secure its position. With the Shimazu main armies far in the South of Kyushu, the Otomo general does not expect to meet any significant forces.
    One river has already been crossed, the Otomo plan is going well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not far away from the river crossing, a small force of Shimazu mounted samurai retainers led by Ijuin Tadamune is observing the Otomo advance, unnoticed.

The second river bank is in sight, the Otomo army is about to take firmly position into Shimazu territory.

In nearby woods, Shimazu Yoshihiro, the younger brother of the Shimazu daimyo, has gathered in a hurry all the men he could find to push back the invaders once he was informed of Otomo troop movements. The Shimazu are outnumbered 3 to 1 with most of their allied troops in the South.

Yoshihiro is a resourceful man, his men have prepared their ambush with great care, and they are now awaiting to strike at the unprepared Otomo army.

The Otomo crossing is almost done, most of their units converge towards the first piece of emerged land.

The woods where the Shimazu force lies is in sight of the Otomo. The birds have stopped chirping.

In a clash of thunder, the Shimazu gunners open fire on the moving Otomo army from the their secured position in the wood.

The Otomo general reacts quickly, and launches his light cavalry to engage the little group of skirmishers in the wood until his running men reach the wood.

While closing in with the Shimazu missile units, the Otomo cavalry comes under very heavy fire. they suddenly realize there are several dozen of gunners shooting at them !
    The shooting is devastating. The hand cannons of the Shimazu kill horses and men alike in a few seconds.

Only a handful of horsemen reach the woods, and soon they panick and try to cross the river in the opposite dircetion.

On the right flank of the Otomo, cavalry scouts have safely crossed, far from the killing zone in the center.

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 09:10 PM.

The assault

The main army of the Otomo is pushing forward to reach the Shimazu positions

The Otomo troops progress quickly and finally charge the small Shimazu army. The Shimazu gunners inflict heavy losses at point blank range, the Otomo momentum is almost stopped.

On the Otomo left flank, the troops finally engage in melee in a storm of smoke, fire and lead. The Otomo units are climbing the hill and swarming the Shimazu right flank.

In the center, the troops have not yet met, the Shimazu keep on releasing volleys of bullets on the approaching Otomo melee units

On the Otomo right flank, the scouting cavalry units have engaged the Shimazu left flank but they are facing spear units and they are having a hard time.

The two armies fight on the Otomo left side. The Shimazu are flanked and very outnumbered, but they still hold their ground pretty well.

More Otomo units enter the melee in the center, and finally the main army is able to charge as well in very good order, despite their initials losses.

The Otomo have now the initiative and a large control of the battlefield. Their numbers are overwhelming. Their cavalry units are now turning around the melee and pushing to break the Shimazu right flank.
    The Shimazu reserves charge to support the main battle line.

The flanking maneuver of the Otomo is about to succeed, the outnumbered Shimazu are fighting on two sides. Despite superior quality troops and clever counter charge to push back the Otomo cavalry, the Shimazu are surrounded by enemy units.

Shimazu gunner units are shooting on the Otomo units about to flank with good results but it not enough to prevent the Otomo from deploying even more units on the flanks.
    Yoshihiro is forced to enter the battle in order to prevent his troops fighting on the river side to be attacked from the rear.

In the center, the Shimazu superior veteran troops manage to cut through their enemies with ease, but the Otomo numbers seem infinite.

Last edited by le_fred; July 07, 2012 at 06:57 AM.

Loyalty and honor

Yoshihiro hattamotos are concerned.
    Ijuin Tadamune's cavalry has not yet arrived, and they are about to be crushed. Despite the complaints of his nervous advisors and bodyguards, Yoshihiro does trust his retainer and chooses to stand and fight until the expected reinforcements arrive.

Ijuin Tadamune reinforcements are on their way, the battlefield is on sight. But in watching the surrounded Shimazu troops and their daimyo fighting for his life, there is no doubt in their minds this would be their last battle. Still they charge with the fury of Bishamonten and all the speed of their steeds into the rear of the flanking Otomo army to save their daimyo.

The news of Shimazu reinforcements spread quickly, and hopes of victory start switching sides.

A couple of Otomo units rout, and the free Shimazu samurai charge in the gaps of the battle line. The Otomo have been slightly pushed back, now both armies fight for a part in the river.

The exhausted Otomo troops are wavering, how could they fail while they outnumber their opponents by so much ? Still doubt is instilled in the Otomo soldier minds.
    Another couple of their units leave the field in disorder.

Yoshihiro is safe. The reinforcing cavalry units break the whole Otomo left flank, the flankers are flanked and then routed.
    The Shimazu units have pushed back the Otomo to the river.

The battle has fundamentally changed, with the Otomo flanking maneuvers having failed
    In the center, the Otomo general still has the option to withdraw in good order, or push forward and send all his reserves into the battle

From the higher ground of the forest on the hill, the Shimazu gunners have re taken their position. They have a clear view on the battlefield. When he sees them, the Otomo general turn back to put a safe distance between him and the missile troops

Too late. The Shimazu gunners open fire and decimate the general hattamoto, killing him as well in the process. The Otomo immediately panick and rout.

The Shimazu don't chase them, they keep on shooting at the routing units. Many Otomo fall in the retreat.

The fame of this glorious victory will reach all the opponents of the Shimazu !

Last edited by le_fred; July 07, 2012 at 05:41 AM.

your battles are incredible. And the graphics...damn, you must have a killer machine! Do you have all the settings on ultra?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_92 View Post
    your battles are incredible. And the graphics...damn, you must have a killer machine! Do you have all the settings on ultra?
    Thanks ! Well, I don't think my rig is a killer: it's an i7 2.80 with 6 Gb of RAM and a GeForce 470 GTX.
    However, optimizing and choosing the right setting for the best performance output is rather a long and repetitive process. It is probably different for each computer, and depends on your own taste too.

What i am happy using is unit details + texture on Ultra, Shaders 5, Direct x11, shadows on medium only (fps killer), AAx4. I use HDR, V Sync and soft shadows, but not SSAO, tessellation, vignette or DOF.
    I also use GameBooster, and SuperGhostBoy performance mods, and it is helping getting a lot of FPS.

But you know, showing pictures is a bit different, because i choose the ones that look good, it is not really related to performance !
    Last edited by le_fred; July 07, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

What i am happy using is unit details + texture on Ultra, Shaders 5, Direct x11, shadows on medium only (fps killer), AAx4. I use HDR, V Sync and soft shadows, but not SSAO, tessellation, vignette or DOF.
    I also use GameBooster, and SuperGhostBoy performance mods, and it is helping getting a lot of FPS.
    you're pretty much using my settings, except for the textures and the AAx4. Hmm maybe that's making the difference. I'll try it....

But you know, showing pictures is a bit different, because i choose the ones that look good
    and they certainly do!

I am going to link this story board in my next update. I enjoy the reading very much. Thank you Le Fred.

@le_fred - You surpassed yourself with the presentation of that epic battle between the Shimazu and Otomo clans! Must have been something very special and memorable to play. I've never seen anything like it from Shogun 2 before. I must confess that in the beginning, I downloaded many of your screenies for promotional purposes alone, but now I find myself dowloading your screenies for the very battle excitement! I mean, look at this one example (out of many candidates in your last batch):

This image is loaded with drama perfectly captured! One doesn't get to often see such images where tension is maximized and nothing feels amiss regarding focus, brightness, composition or some other technical aspect.

You clearly have some knack for this sort of story-telling supported by amazing screenshots. If you hereby have invented a new type of AAR at TWC and a contest was held for it, I'd have voted for you as winner!

Just like Chris_92, I've noted the unusual picture quality of your images as well and I did suspect Superghostboy had something to do with it. Glad you confirmed my suspicions. I'll make use of this precious info when I'm ready for S2 again.

Hey, if you're going through all major factions in these battle stories, what about the Hattori?
    Last edited by Demokritos; July 11, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

I agree 100% with Demokritos. Your images capture the drama perfectly.
    Does the blood come from Superghostboy mod? I need to know because in the next update I will re-include his mod in a special version compatible with DarthMod.

I agree 100% with Demokritos. Your images capture the drama perfectly.
    Does the blood come from Superghostboy mod? I need to know because in the next update I will re-include his mod in a special version compatible with DarthMod.
    Yes it does come from his mod. His mod encompasses 2 aspects i like : the blood splatters are different, and the blood tomato geysers are gone. It is less gore overall, but the blood is darker, and sometimes only, you have something like below when someone gets cut in two - pure violence.

but I guess you still need the Blood Pack DLC right (which I don't have)? Because I clicked the "Performance & retexture mods" link on your post, downloaded the mod, extracted it and put the data into my "data"-folder. No effect....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_92 View Post
    but I guess you still need the Blood Pack DLC right (which I don't have)? Because I clicked the "Performance & retexture mods" link on your post, downloaded the mod, extracted it and put the data into my "data"-folder. No effect....
    Yes, for sure, you need to buy the dlc and activate the blood in the graphic options. It is just a modification.

Edit: SuperGhostBoy has released a new version of his blood mod, you can customize now if you want the blood geysers or not, the blood splatters or not, and of course a combination of both.
    Last edited by le_fred; July 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Le Fred you inspired me to re-design the melee system to make it even more epic and chaotic. You are going to love the next update of DarthMod Shogun.

@le_fred - You surpassed yourself with the presentation of that epic battle between the Shimazu and Otomo clans! Must have been something very special and memorable to play. I've never seen anything like it from Shogun 2 before. I must confess that in the beginning, I downloaded many of your screenies for promotional purposes alone, but now I find myself dowloading your screenies for the very battle excitement!
    I am very pleased once again by your enthusiastic appreciation, and it is good you know that i intended doing screens in the first place to show how great a couple of mods can change a great game to an amazing experience. I mean all the credit goes to you guys who spend so much time to craft well designed and well thought mods.

Hey, if you're going through all major factions in these battle stories, what about the Hattori?
    For sure, i am planning to do all the major clans, including Oda and Hattori, then to move to a couple a battles on FotS - but i haven't yet started a campaign, busy as i am enjoying the Sengoku Jidai game.
    I will probably extend to additional minor clans, but it s going to come after the next 2 weeks when i ll be away from my PC.

Le Fred you inspired me to re-design the melee system to make it even more epic and chaotic. You are going to love the next update of DarthMod Shogun.
    Great news, it has made my day !
    I m looking forward to playing that when it is released, I will definitely make some battle screenshots to illustrate it.
    Last edited by le_fred; July 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast