Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Icon6 "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Shogun epic battles

Welcome to my series of illustrated battle reports!

The idea of shooting battles came when i was trying to mix some of the best mods around to enhance my experience to the maximum and took a few pictures to show the resulting visuals on twcenter. This is how i also realized how much passion animated the many modders around Shogun II Total War, namely Darth Mod Shogun 2 by Darth Vader, Alternative Color Clans from Demokritos and the Texture / Performance mods of SuperGhostBoy and many more mods from many other talented contributors.

This thread is the combined effort of all their visual and gameplay improvements.

I am not a recent Total War player. Actually, i bought my first PC to play the first Shogun in 2000. Still, Shogun II is probably my favourite Total War game because of its simple but very effective and refined gameplay, the period and culture it covers, and because it reaches even higher levels when the mods come into play. Being not a modder myself, but very enthusiastic at the work of others, this thread is my way to share the fun i have while playing, and my thanks to all who build mods for the community!

Contents

The thread is not very organized, but it is quite simple to navigate into it. Each battle i cover is usually split into 3 to 6 posts with pictures in spoiler tags.

I have not decided how many battles i will do, i hope it will not become a repetitive task, but i still enjoy giving a simple battle a kind of cinematic touch. Here is the list of the battles i have illustrated:

1- Mori / Chosokabe
    2- Date / Takeda
    3- Uesugi / Ikko Ikki
    4- Hojo / Tokugawa
    5- Shimazu / Otomo
    6- Oda / Asai
    7- Hattori / Kikkawa
    8- Choshu / Ozu (FotS)
    9- Aizu / Sendai (FotS)
    10- Taira / Ogata (RotS)
    11- Otomo / Ashikaga
    12- Date / Takeda (to be released)

Mods

First, i would like to mention i don't have a killer machine. Most of the battles are running smooth, even at 40 units on each side.
    I believe this is due to the performance mod i use. ETW or NTW certainly do not run as smooth as Shogun on my machine.
    I play with 1.25 multiplier on huge size units, it is perfect to me to be slightly more epic and remain playable for siege battles.

The mods below are the ones i use, and they operate without conflicting together. The first battles include the first 1 to 4 while the latest battles include generally all of them.

1- DarthMod Shogun - for the overall AI improvement, the ambitious melee penetration of units, the very nice visual improvements and the combo of others mods (smoke, blood, trails, bayonets etc)
    2- Alternative Clan Colors - it is impossible for me to turn it off, it is too good to play with it - it is comprehensive, historical source based and already released. New version coming in soon.
    3- Performance & retexture mods - dramatically improves performance, unit texture, blood quality and gloss rendering, i have no idea how it is achieved but it works perfectly !
    4- Daimyos and Generals - replaces the generic vanilla Daimyos by unique expertly redesigned clan leader models, in battles and on the campaign map
    5- Horse & saddle retexture - graphical improvement of the horse and saddle texture, lovely if you like better looking horses.
    6- Boshin war & Modern army uniform - for tweaking your FotS experience with improved faction colors and alternative uniform and equipment for your soldiers.
    7- Bow retexture - available in the thread, get rid of the flashy red bows and get a nice light beige color instead
    8- RotS playable clan recolors - my own in house mod to enjoy better the RotS battles
    9- Portuguese Terco Variety - much better looking Portuguese soldiers for the Otomo clan with many model variations
    10- The Sheathe and the blade - add scabbard for katana swords, immersive graphical improvement
    11- Traditional Shogunate daimyos - for using samurai armors and uniforms in FotS for the traditional leaders like Matsudaira Katamori etc
    12- Faction color tint removal - for suppressing the artificial colors of units when zooming out in battles

To be shown in future battles:

1- Vastator Unit Style - very impressive variations on unit armor, complete re shape of some vanilla units - compatible with Alternative Clan Colors.

Thank you,

-----

MORI / CHOSOKABE

Mori Tomonari and Chosokabe Motochika meet on the field of Northern Shikoku.

The army of the Mori clan is ready to fight.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Charge and first flanking maneuver...

The Chosokabe cavalry is swarmed by Yari troops

The push is too strong and the Mori are badly flanked

Mori No Dachi troops moving to outflank the flankers

The No Dachi finally charging to loosen the Chosokabe grasp on the Mori right flank

The left flank finally collapses while the right flank desperately tries to break the Chosokabe morale

Chosokabe Motochika knows the battle is won despite the heroic stand of fanatical troops in the Mori ranks

Mori Motonari finding his way out of the battle. The war is not over yet...

Last edited by le_fred; March 17, 2013 at 09:51 PM.

angus young's Avatar Ordinarius
    Villefranche de rouergue France in the south

Default Re: Action Pictures of the Dark Side

Waoooowwww !!! Great pics !!!! +1 rep !

DATE / TAKEDA

Spring is back. Date Masamune goes to battle against Takeda Shingen to gain control of Kozuka province

Two armies and two commanders take position

First skirmish and first cavalry engagement on the right flank

Main battle line engagement watched by Date Masamune

First Date reinforcement on the right flank under hard pressure from the fierce Takeda cavalry

Heavy barrage of missiles by the Takeda, quickly countered by Date shock troops

On the left flank, the Date cavalry is chasing the Takeda trying to out maneuver them. They are finally reached in a tiny wood. The army getting the upper hand there might well win the battle.

Second reinforcement on the right flank, second charge from No Dachi samurai to break the Takeda heavy cavalry

The main battle in the center is fierce while shadowy warriors run away from the main army, unnoticed...

Last edited by le_fred; January 29, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

The turning point of Kozuka battle

The shadows get closer, who will they bring victory to ?

On the right flank, the Takeda are having the upper hand

...until the remaining Date skirmishing cavalry unit deal a decisive blow in the rear with a devastating charge

In the center, the situation is desperate for the Date. Troops are starting to rout.
    Masamune gathers his hatamoto and launches a last chance charge.

Shingen is completely taken unaware by this bold move and tries to move out of the melee

In the woods, the Date ninjas assaulting the Takeda are unleashing hell...

Shingen is nowhere to be seen, his men suddenly panick in the center - while the battle in the woods turn into a slaughter

With no troop in reserve anymore and their cavalry force scattered, the Takeda are leaving the field.

Never look at the One Eyed Dragon in the eye...

Last edited by le_fred; August 22, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

le_fred you deserve to have your own thread with your epic tails.
    I will make one soon just with your pictures moved there, continue to share please.
    I enjoyed reading.

UESUGI / IKKO IKKI

Winter 1580, South of Etchu province.

It's been a year since Uesugi Kenshin died, and before he could fully unify Japan under his rule. Divisions appear among his heirs, and war rages between his former followers and allies. Kenshin was revered as a religious man, but since he is no more, religious turmoil rises. Naoe Kanetsugu now faces a rebellion of Ikko Ikki Buddhist monks.

Winter is harsh. The Uesugi army of Naoe Kanetsugu stands still in the wind and the snow. Uesugi soldiers are enthusiastic and still don't know they are about to meet death on this day.

The Uesugi army consists of highly skilled troops, mostly pole arms and composite bows. A high number of mounted samurai is protecting their flanks.

Facing them, the Ikko Ikki moves steadily. Their army counts a large number of ashigaru, determined ronin and many mounted battle monks.

The Ikko Ikki are in approach, and they seem well disciplined.

The two armies are now facing each other on a large plain surrounded by woods.

The Uesugi soldiers see with apprehension the massive army of the rebels.

The rebels are at matchlock range and open fire on the Uesugi front line.

The Ikko Ikki commander is watching the first shootings from afar

On the right flank, the mounted monks are breaking through the woods and trying to flank the Uesugi army

The Uesugi archers unleash their first volleys of arrows

In the woods, Uesugi monks are meeting the Ikko Ikki cavalry in a terrible clash.

The Ikko Ikki cavalry has stopped its advance. Unable to move, they are under heavy fire from Kisho ninja. The melee is now a complete chaos.

Last edited by le_fred; January 29, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Main battle

The two lines are closing in, the Uesugi samurai are prepared to receive the charge from the rebels while the archers in their back release volley after volley.

On the left flank, the Ikko Ikki cavalry is charging in a coordinated assault. The Uesugi must dispatch their reserves to sustain the assault and hope getting the upper hand...
    In the center, a rain of death is falling on the Ikko Ikki light troops.

Even more Ikko Ikki cavalry units are now engaged the left flank of the Uesugi main army. Their fighting skills and their morale are doing wonders against the wavering Uesugi army.
    Second use of reserve from the Uesugi naginata troops with the support of ninjas

The melee center is largely dominated by the Ikko Ikki ronin samurai. Victory is at hand.

The deadly Uesugi archers are still secured behind the lines of their comrades, but for how long ?

On the right flank, troops are massively killed on both sides but the Ikko Ikki slowly get the advantage.

On the left flank, the Ikko Ikki cavalry seems in a very bad position but doesn't break. Time is playing now against the Uesugi.

On the right side of the battle, the combined assault of ashigaru and ronins turns decisively in favor of the Ikko Ikki. The Uesugi are decimated. Still they don't break.

The melee on the right side of the battle line is a complete bloodbath. Soldiers are killed by dozens.

A ray of hope for the Uesugi clan, their cavalry has swarmed a few units of mounted monks but they are far away from the battle

Naoe Kanetsugu is a seasoned commander despite his young age. He knows he must turn the tide of battle very quickly if he wants to return to Echigo alive...

Last edited by le_fred; August 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Victory !

A breach appears in the Uesugi battle line, and many Ikko Ikki tropps are about to overcome their opponents. The moment is critical.

A first battle turns favorably for the Uesugi. Some Ikko Ikki cavalry units are finally routed, and it allows the surviving Uesugi troops to flank the main melee battles.
    Tired ashigaru do not resist their counter charge and start routing. The Uesugi are on the way to engage the Ikko Ikki missile units !

The Ikko Ikki leader tries to push his advantage in the center and engage his unit in the fight to create a massive rout of wavering Uesugi melee units.

The Ikko Ikki missile troops are slaughtered by the Uesugi units which emerged victorious against the Ikko Ikki cavalry.
    The battle outcome is now quickly shifting in favor of the Uesugi on the flanks.

In the center, no clear winner yet. No rout on any side. Naoe Kanetsugu can claim victory as long his army holds its position.

On the right flank, Ikko Ikki ronin don't break and fight to the last man. The woods turn into a massive graveyard, soon only a couple of soldiers are still able to fight on both sides.

The Ikko Ikki don't break, the chaos is total and the losses are terrible.

Finally, numbers give the Uesugi a clear advantage and they overwhelm the Ikko Ikki units in the center.

Galloping on a field covered with corpses, the Uesugi cavalry chases the remaining Ikko Ikki without any mercy.

Victory for the Uesugi, but at the costs of how many casualties ?
    The Uesugi leave the field with a broken army - and many good soldiers behind.

Last edited by le_fred; August 12, 2012 at 07:32 AM.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Marvelous show, le_fred! Gee, it's almost more exciting to read and watch the tale of your battles than playing any myself, at least from what I remember (my PC having been broken for so long time now). And Darth's tweak for unit sizes really adds to the drama. Thanks a lot for sharing these great images!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Thanks mate, i value a lot your comments ! DarthMod also creates much better melee penetration, dynamics and chaos, it is impacting a lot the visuals and atmosphere !

More than 1,500 pictures: visit my Shogun epic battle screenshot thread !

Default Re: "Le Fred" Epic Stories!

Now all your up to now epic stories have their own thread.
    It would be good if you also copied the posts to the 1st thread so to have them all in one place like a magazine.
    I will leave this up to you.
    I enjoy very much reading these and I believe all the viewers here.
    Excellent. Thanks.

Lito's Avatar Civis

Default Re: "Le Fred's" Epic Stories!

Amazing story. I really like the Uesugi and I really got into their battle vs ikko ikki. Reading those feels like watching a movie. I am looking forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Now all your up to now epic stories have their own thread.
    It would be good if you also copied the posts to the 1st thread so to have them all in one place like a magazine.
    I will leave this up to you.
    I enjoy very much reading these and I believe all the viewers here.
    Excellent. Thanks.
    I will re organize the thread soon. Thanks for the specific section !
    Time for a Hojo Tokugawa battle now !

HOJO / TOKUGAWA

1590 - Sagami province, near Odawara Castle. Toyotomi Hideyoshi's campaign to eliminate the Hojo threat during its rise to power is unsuccessful. Tokugawa Ieyasu, one of Hideyoshi's top generals, leads a small modernized army including many teppo units and finally pulls Hojo Ujimasa out of his castle.

Note: Darth effects are used in this battle, so the blood mod of SuperGhostBoy is disabled for compatibility issues.

Hojo Ujimasa vast army is deployed on the Nothern part of the river. His scouts have informed him that the Tokugawa army counts only a reasonable force, but he is well aware of Ieyasu talents in misleading his opponents...

The Hojo army counts many veteran melee traditional units.

Facing them, the Tokugawa army looks very mobile, with a limited core of melee units and a few units of light mounted gunners deployed on the flanks and hidden in bushes and woods.

On each flank of the Tokugawa army, but far behind the main body of troops, gunners and spear units are hidden. They are waiting for the Hojo cavalry that will probably try to flank the main body of the army.

In the center, Ieyasu is inspecting his troops, adjusting the formation and dispatching orders. Suddenly, the army moves forward to meet the Hojo.

The Tokugawa's advance is halted a hundred meters from the river while skirmishers take position. They don't secure the river banks, keeping a safe distance from the Hojo.

Last edited by le_fred; January 29, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Smoke and guns

Ujimasa scouting cavalry units have discovered the Tokugawa mounted skirmishers on the flanks. Ieyasu has once again proven deceitful. The chase has now started, it is time to make him pay his treachery !
    Seeing the quick advance of the scouts, the Tokugawa are withdrawing far on their flanks and release volleys of bullets on the Hojo cavalry.

Well managed retreats leave the Hojo cavalry galloping on the field and pursuing a quicker opponent.

... only until the Hojo stand close enough from the woods ! Bullets hit hard and a wall of spears engages the Hojo light cavalry.
    The Hojo have risen to the bait !

In the center, the Tokugawa gunners are also withdrawing, while on the flanks, the Hojo cavalry is quickly taken care of.

Bullets pierce armors and kills horses easily.

In the center, the Hojo are now forced to take the initiative. The bulk of their armies slowly gets across the river and walks up the small hill under heavy fire.
    The Tokugawa are heavily hit in return by hand mortars.

On the flanks, the remaining skirmishers of the Hojo are scattered.

Main battle line. The archers of Ieyasu release volleys of arrows onto the slow moving Hojo army. But still they cross in good order, and their numbers are huge.

Ujimasa launches his heavy cavalry and takes unaware a few matchlock units. The impact leaves no chance to the teppo units.

Ujimasa doesn't know how to grasp his moving enemy as the Tokugawa gunners vanish once more in the smoke of their matchlocks.

Last edited by le_fred; July 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Swords or guns ?

The Hojo army has almost entirely crossed the river, and starts its charge on the small Tokugawa infantry army.

The Tokugawa gunners kill an endless number of Hojo mounted units.

But time is running out. A general charge is launched to end the battles on the flanks faster. The assault is successful.

In the center of the battlefield, the Tokugawa suffer heavy losses, overwhelmed by numbers, flanked by light cavalry units and shaken by bombs and mortar hits. The battle is darkened by a thick smoke.

On the right flank, the ambushers are moving forward to meet the units guarding the Hojo flank. The Hojo heaviy units fight desperately but soon they break and rout.

The Tokugawa are in position to flank the whole battlefield...

Last edited by le_fred; July 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Death of a clan

The main battle is a disaster for the Tokugawa. Their units have been wiped out and routed by the combined use of a superior Hojo infantry and artillery units.
    The field is flagged in blue and in blood. Ieyasu is only a few meters from the Hojo units which progress quickly and take control of the field. Ieyasu has to re position himself farther from the fights.

On the right flank, the Tokugawa cavalry is in position for a powerful push. Lone Hojo units are scattered one by one.

The right flank charge is launched. All units now converge to break with force and speed the main battle.

The wavering Hojo break for some of them, but the impact is not as devastating as expected.
    Cavalry units are slowed by the river, but they also now cut any retreat option to the Hojo.

From afar, the battle seems very disputed, with a main battle line dominated by the Hojo and their rear pushed by the Tokugawa cavalry.

The flanking maneuver progresses slowly, the hammer is about to hit the anvil.

The Tokugawa don't break in the center, the casualties are atrocious for the Hojo. Ujimasa is about to make things personal and raises his tessen.

The Tokugawa cavalry has crossed the river and launch several charges in the Hojo infantry lines.
    The battle seems lost for the Hojo.

Ieyasu looks satisfied, he is starring quietly at the battlefield, protected by a couple of gunner units.
    But his victory is not yet complete, there is still an important task to perform to get rid of the Hojo.

Ujimasa is now surrounded by enemy troops and threatened by guns at point blank range.

In the blink of an eye

The Hojo are no more, Ieyasu can now chase the remaining units and ride to a glorious destiny !

Bonus

Autumn wind of eve
    Blow away the clouds that mass

O'er the moon's pure light.

And the mists that cloud our mind

Do thou sweep away as well.

(雨雲の おほへる月も 胸の霧も はらひにけりな 秋の夕風)

Now we disappear
    Well, what must we think of it?

From the sky we came

Now we may go back again

That's at least one point of view.

(我が身今 消ゆとやいかに 思ふべき 空より来たり 空へ帰れば)
    (吹きとふく 風な恨みそ 花の春 紅葉も残る 秋あらばこそ)

Ujimasa's death poem, 1590
    Last edited by le_fred; July 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

Fantastic! Some of the best unedited images I've seen. Had to provide a link to this place from my thread now.

How do you prepare for the battles, Fred? They're custom battles, right, and if so, how do you determine what units each army is comprised of?
    Last edited by Demokritos; July 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

The death of Uzimasa!!! Oh my what a story. Genious screen captures. This is a Shogun magazine to read.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast