Thread: So, what features will you see in WotN?

Default So, what features will you see in WotN?

So on request I will talk about what is Wrath of the Norsemen and what is new from vanilla M2TW?
    Well, this beloved idea have been worked on by countless team members from 2007 until release...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    in a week-ish

Ideas have been created-scrapped-reemerged and scrapped again so I guess it's time to talk abit about it.

We have all tried to keep this mod semi-historical using historical factions with real people (some legendary ones from the saga's though). Several historical leaders will emerge when they come of age historically too.
    So it starts in 785 just before the "official" start of the viking age usually refered to 793 and the attack at Lindisfarna. The factions will be small, poor and weak. Some weaker than others but none really awesome. You will have to forge your kingdom from scratch with only a few, puny settlements and the rebels can be quite powerful at times.

You will enter a settlement and notice there are no defensive walls, a small selection in buildings to produce and NO units. So you will have to provide buildings for the units to have equipment and training facilities. I gave a preview for it here back in the days after I made it, and to further enhance understanding I will post the current-ish complete building tree now.
    Featuring the Innovative Building tree
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What is most important is to keep in mind that the higher tier barracks building require more armors and weapons, usually produced by the smith tree.
    The smith tree is what will keep driving your settlement forward as most other building branches require it at some point.
    Barrack tree produce infantry, Fletcher tree provides archers, stable tree provides cavalry and you will find some special units in the tavern tree.
    The units will vary in how long they take to produce and how long until it's availiable for recruitment again. The more elite units will also be much fewer in the unit than the units of lower quality. This can lead to some confusion on the unit cost which have been carefully balanced by myself. The cost is based on what the unit is wearing and how many men there are in the unit. So an elite unit with awesome equipment will not be that much more expensive than a unit with cheaper equipment since there are a lot more men in that unit.

The statwork is created by me and is carefully balanced and influenced by Real Combat by Point Blank with some modifications. It will make the outcome of battle predicatable and battles will not be too fast or too slow.

The map is huge and we have quite a bit of new strat map models to give the ol' dark age feel. The settlements and regions are all authentic and historically correct (maybe some minor descrepencies) so you will get the feeling of how the world was at the time.
    Among our greatest historical contributors, who have stuck with us through thick and thin, is the awesome Harðurāðaz with his great knowledge in old norse.

All the units are obviously new and the creators of the models are absinthia, Heathen Storm, Horsa and myself.
    To give the player the feeling of desperation and poverty the settlements will not produce much income in the beginning and the army upkeep will be very costly. It was not uncommon during Beta testing to end up in the negative in the start. So how would a real viking solve it...
    That's right, go and plunder something. The beta testers were impressed over how effecient their vikings was at plundering, yielding up to 40.000 from a single settlement.
    Another way to gain income is to loot corpses on the battlefield, the greater the victory the more income earned (or lost), from 100 to 1000. Also keeping your generals in enemy territory will let the earn a small amount of ravaging-the-land income (500).

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Domesticus

Default Re: So, what features will you see in WotN?

Sounds awesome! I like that theres some real pillaging going on! Cant wait until its out

Oh boy, the features in this mod sound brilliant! I can't wait to give this a try good job guys.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

So this is how a real orgasm feels.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Sounds great! Good to see the first mod I've ever participated in finally come to fruition!

Can we see the map ?

the map area:
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Thanks for the effort .

Kveldulf's Avatar Laetus

Will we be seeing new voice overs? (Or even the older ones from Viking Invasion or Rome) I just find it a bit... off to be playing as pagans, and praising God, and Christiandom whenever I win.

Auxor's Avatar Libertus

Am I the only person who thinks that, at least with this amount of factions, there are WAY too many provinces? At least in Scandinavia itself.
    And when he reaches the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, "Just one more soldier reporting for duty, i've served my time in hell"

GeneralL's Avatar Ducenarius

Damn, never noticed that giant sword in Google Earth ^^
    Invictus I Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Auxor View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks that, at least with this amount of factions, there are WAY too many provinces? At least in Scandinavia itself.
    I don't think so. The only difference is that it takes a few more turns until "normal" tw action starts. If you had fewer regions, it will starts earlier. If you had more factions it will still be the same, because the big factions will destroy the small, and you'll still meet them as before.

Domesticus

Since the game is based on Scandanavia, I see no problem with it(not that ive played yet). Kind of a historical thing. The different jarls fought over different stuff

And with the 1.1 patch theres two more factions

Auxor's Avatar Libertus

When I meant Scandinavia, I meant mainly the far northern section (the Artic Circle. Obviously the southern part where Gautland, Vestfold etc. are is fine but the northern section just seems a bit pointless. Hame and Halogaland barely fight over it due to the sheer distance and the Swedes don't actually try to expand in that direction. Maybe when the 1.2 patch is released the new Norwegian faction might actually have some balls and make that area more interesting. Playing as Vestfold it was literally just DOZENS of rebel settlements, I felt like I was colonising an uncharted country or something.
    And when he reaches the gates of Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell, "Just one more soldier reporting for duty, i've served my time in hell"