Thread: About American Campaign

Laetus

Default About American Campaign

i'm trying to play the American Campaign in Road to independence, but it seems that the american line infantry have disadvantage in terms of troop numbers.

1 USA regiment of the line = 80 men(ultra, no multiplier)
    Unique units are the only ones with =160 men(ultra, no multiplier)

*i don't use multiplier because my system can't handle the numbers.

its really unfair especially when i'm starting to fight the european powers with full stacks of 160 men each regiments against my 80 men per regiment of american troops.

worse is that my light infantry numbers only 40 men--while europeans have 80 in standard.

i hope you guys continues to develop this mod..and fix this little problem. this mod is really awesome, i even uninstall darthmod just for this. lol

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: About American Campaign

The reduced number is intention regarding realism for the Main (Grand) Campaign, just because the so-called Continental Army was way unprofessional compared to the British, ie. far less regular units, so you probably must use more irregulars. In result, the challenge is increased for an american faction player, take that, or use the PFM tool, where you can easily increase the unit number, in the landunit_stats file for american units.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Laetus

well i guess i have to conquer europe and india with less professional men and irregulars thank you for the answer..this mod is really awesome.

gucci13: European factions are not able to recruit any full units on American soil, but they can move them from Europe (which AI does sometimes). Colonial units have same lower numbers, as i wanted to differentiate the battles that are fought in America from huge clashes fought in Europe.

anyway Road to independence campaign uses different units than standard Campaign, so i will check the unit numbers for those.

Average battalion strengths during the American War of Independence taken from Curt Johnson's history.

State Regiments
    Massachusetts 590 men
    New Hampshire 590 men
    Connecticut 700/1,000 men
    Rhode Island 480/600 men
    Hampshire Grants (Vermont) 500 men
    New York 750 men
    North Carolina 500 men

In 1781 an attempt was made to standardise the organisation and strength of Continental Regiments at 699 all ranks

Other Nations and units

Provincial Minute men 500 men
    Continental Regiments 1775 688 men
    British Regular Regiment 380 men
    Continental Rifle Regiment 680 men
    Hessian Regiment 700 men
    French Regiment 1,160 men in 2 battalions
    British Dragoon Regiment 222 sabres
    American Dragoon Regiment 408 sabres

yes, so practically British units were smaller, but French, Austrians used much larger regiments. Thing is, even they often didn't deployed all three battalions at the same time..

Decision to use half strength units in America was just to better simulate the smaller scale of battles happening there, over large scale battles in Europe. And btw, sometimes 80 men can be more effective than 160 (or at least very similar), all you need to do is to use two rank formation, this way you will get more men firing, while three tanks formation would have a lot of men in third rank that wont fire (of course this also depends on line of sight, as its not possible completely block third rank.)
    Last edited by JaM; October 19, 2012 at 09:19 AM.