Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Unit?

Default Favourite Unit?

What is your favourite unit?

Default Re: Favourite Unit?

Peasant. lol jk it has to be the Spartans.

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

Urban Cohorts
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

Bonez's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Any half decent cav.

Any Phalanx for me

Levy Pikemen. The amount of Chariots that fall to these guy's is ridiculus.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollyon View Post
    Levy Pikemen. The amount of Chariots that fall to these guy's is ridiculus.

Any Phalanx can defeat the best chariots if taken head on.

Kuhndog's Avatar Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by King of Thessaly View Post
    It's true. My puny spear warband (Lol. Barbarian phalanx) took out Britannia's faction leader in literally less than a second. He just ran right into the spears and chariots dropped like flies. Needless to say, I laughed.
    Veni, vidi, vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar

Indefinitely Banned

Chariots and Cataphracts and Northern axed guys

TheFoolOnTheHill's Avatar Centenarius

horse archers
    Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,Cool cherry cream, nice apple tart,I feel your taste all the time we're apart,Coconut fudge really blows down those blues,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You might not feel it now,When the pain cuts through,You're going to know and how,The sweat is going to fill your head,When it becomes too muchYou'll shout aloud,You'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle,You know that what you eat you are,But what is sweet now turns so sour,We all know Ob-la-di-bla-da,But can you show me where you are?Crème tangerine and Montelimar,A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,A coffee dessert, yes, you know it's good news,But you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffleYes, you'll have to have them all pulled out,After the Savoy truffle. Savoy Truffle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9TMpAwwBw

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Scythed chariots
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Scythian noble lancers, Bastarnae, chosen axemen and those Iberian bull warriors.

Roman Legionnaires. As long as there are a fair few of them. Set them up properly and it's very hard to lose against a normal sort of army. I mean obviously you'd have problems if you faced 20 units of horse archers.

Since I started setting up the Romans like... well the Romans I've never lost a battle, a phalanx isn't quite so formidable once its had a couple hundred Pilum's chucked into it

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Egyptian Chariot General

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Elephants.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

berserkers

Quote Originally Posted by King of Thessaly View Post
    I know that. I just find it hilarious that levy's muller elite units so easily.

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Hmmm... This is a loaded question:

Sacred Band, Spartans, Scythed Chariots, Berserkers, Chariot Generals, Cavalry Generals, Horse Archers (any unit will do), Armoured Elephants, and Druids.

Ask me to pick one unit from that list? IMMPOSSIBRU

EmperorJulian's Avatar Civitate

I must say I've just recently gotten into playing RTW again, and in so doing I've been able to use some factions/units I really haven't touched before. In the past I'd typically used factions with pikes. As others have mentioned that actually makes the game very easy, as even the most advanced and deadly melee unit can hardly stand up to levy pikemen in a siege setting. Just clog all the roads with pikes, rinse and repeat. I'm not sure if I actually had a favorite pike unit, but since I was really partial to Pontus, Bronze Shields would be the default pick.

Recently however I've been using the Britons and oh boy have I come to like their Light Chariots. I'll admit the skirmish AI for these particular units isn't great, but that aside they really deal a ton of damage and even instill a fear factor in enemy units. In most of my late armies I like to have at least four light chariots, preferably upgraded. I send them out first and soften up the opposing army, often dealing significant casualties and routing units before the melee begins. I've had more than a few heroic victories made possible simply because I had light chariots on the field and the enemy had no credible response. I do wonder though how they'd stack up against basic horse archers, haven't encountered any of those as yet.

At any rate, just wanted tho share my thoughts here. Actually sorry about reviving an old thread but it was on the first page and it seemed topical. Besides that it's only been about a month, not like this was posted in 2010 or something.
    Under the Patronage of Valus the Indefatigable.

TuranianGhazi's Avatar Biarchus

Horse archers in combination with either lancers or heavy cav

Huns from RTW BI expansion are pretty much my most favorite faction in ALL of TW

Turks, Mongols from MED2TW come close but not quite. In ETW, closest is Crimean Khanate if modded. In S2, Takeda ... love the Takeda!

It's all about just pulling out the light cav/lancer cav as soon as they engage to keep charging instead of milling about getting KO'ed

Most fun with light cav/lancer cav is sandwichin an enemy unit from both sides. Yummm!
    Last edited by TuranianGhazi; July 21, 2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: clarification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast