Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favourite Unit?

RomeGanger's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Favourite Unit?

Bastarnae

Got to love those Amazon chariots!!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist,

While you guys were arguing about the glass of water and how full it was, I actually drank it!

Sincerely,
    The Opportunist

BullWarrior's Avatar Laetus

Probably Bull warriors or Scutarii. Both have good defense, around 12 each, and missile (15 avg.) as well as melee attack (15 avg.). This, of course, is less than a roman legionnaire, however, both of these units are more mobile than the legionnaires and, in the Merc. Scutarii's case, are available to a much larger pool of Factions compared with the Roman Legions.

Bull Warriors or Scutarii. Both have (avg.) 12 Defense, 15 missile attack, and 15 melee attack. Not as well armored and equipped as a Roman legion, but more mobile and can still pack-a-punch!

Personally, I find that Bull warriors or Scutarii are the best all-round units. They have (on avg.) 12 DEF, 15 MIS, and 15 ATK. Plus, unlike Roman Legions, they are light infantry, and are much more mobile.

Scutarii.
    REASON:
    DEF: 12
    ATK: 13
    MISSLE: 13
    They are almost like a weak roman legion, but they are cost effective and much more mobile compared with other ones.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 21, 2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: multiple posts merged

Favorite cost effective unit as the selucids, militia cav. They can weaken enemy formation, flank charge, and with numbers they can kill enemy chariots easily.

Favorite tactical unit is the companion cavalry. Because they are elite I treat this unit and commit them only when needed to for flanking and hammers.

Favorite mercenary is cretan archer.

Favorite "cool looking unit" is the companion cavalry and town watch.

Favorite elite unit, is the Armored elephant, when used as archers. "roman legionary: We are getting hit by archers, lets charge the shooters" <-- you can see where this will go.

Am loving Seleucid Cataphracts at the moment. Causing utter chaos wherever I roam...

Either any elephant, as it fills the eye with pleasure to click up and down the enemy line and watch men fly sky high, or the BI Sassanid cataphracts who double as horse arhcers. The BI chariot ballista are neat too.

Oh wait, how could I forget? IT'S OLIPHAUNT TIME!

Spartans

Has anyone tried the repeating ballista? Is it worth recruiting?

either armoured elephants or spartan hoplites

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by BatGoat View Post
    Am loving Seleucid Cataphracts at the moment. Causing utter chaos wherever I roam...
    ^This. And I'm also weak to light cavalry with a quirk that makes them stand out, like the Light Lancer of Macedonia or Scythia's Head Hunting Maidens.

The Light Lancer is great due to it's how charge-stat - the same as the Companion Cavalry in fact. They remind me of the Battlecruisers of World War I, were they pack the punch of something significantly heavier but is fast enough to get out of the way. The Light Lancers are most cost-efficient unit for hammer & anvil in the entire game. Which makes them a favorite to me, even though I think there is a certain threshold of competency that one needs to have to use them effectively.

The quirk of the Head-Hunting Maidens, just like with Cataphracts, is their armor-piercing bonus. A Head Hunting Maiden with some upgrades can take on ANY heavy cavalry unit in the game head on, and I feel like a lot of people don't get it and think that they are some form of glorified Equites unit and ends up sending their heavy cavalry into a stand-off with Head Hunting Maidens, even when they are outnumbered 2-1 just to realize that the maidens are simply ruthless. When fighting Scythia I always make sure to include a bunch of light cavalry, as light cavalry is just as good at taking on the maidens as heavy cavalry (due to their lack of armour)- at a fraction of the cost. I just wish Scythia's infantry was more suited to my playing style. If it was I'd be ready to renounce my citizenship and move to the steppe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123