Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions 7.0 Buildings

Default Re: Suggestions 7.0 Buildings

Are we playing a fantasy game: YES, no one is suggesting that in reality Venice conquered all of Europe if thats the faction you fancy playing

Should the game try and be as historically accurate as can: YES, as long as it helps immersion in the medieval world and enhances game play. I love history and try and put more in my game than most, but as long as we remember that is at heart a war game, and anything we do works for the majority of people who play SS, a little history is a good thing.

One settlement type: Well personally I dont like castles in the game. Blatantly they existed, but the question is simple for me: can the Ai take a castle from a player? I have never seen it do so, where as I have had my ass kicked out from a city. If it is indeed impossible for the Ai to win in a castle seige (or at best very unlikely), whats the point of giving the player such a huge advantage? I know there is the reverse, that its harder for a player to take such, but we all still do. If I could make it so all players settlements on the battlemap were cities and Ai's castles I would. But as not, I say it is better to use cities.

Buildings: no one thinks that all spies really come from brothels and all assassins from Inns, but buildings reflect a concept for what is happening in a region. Personally I try and make each faction I play as different from each other as I can, so I think that spare building slots should help us produce a unique feel to the factions. Even if its as simple as giving England Wool Trade, and France Wineries, it helps promote a feeling of difference and then replayability to the game,

The only glaring omissions historically are atm imo
    Monasteries
    Jewish Communities
    Slave markets - although I use these as mercenary barracks and so do not need a separate chain
    and maybe the Arsenal in Venice

After that, it really is what you fancy to make each faction more fun. Personally though I like a colonization chain to reflect that you must change an area to your culture before you can produce your beloved units there and a Independent Peoples building to reflect factions existence and unrest at being conquered eg . Serbia, Armenia etc. This could also work for capitals as well so Paris is always unhappy if not french etc.

I would also love to sit down and think of a better way to handle relics, and maybe have a building for these. I think though it would have to be on the menu and be scripted as an achievement. Also I am not sure how to balance this for the Islamic factions.

Recruitment: As the Ai is not the brightest of chaps, I think joining the Barracks, Stables and Archery chains together makes sense, that way you dont have to rely on it producing the right type for its best units.

Interdependent Chains: Much as I love this idea - that you must build a stonemasons and a blacksmith before you can build a church for instance, I worry that the Ai can get it, essentially that is always our stumbling block in game

I would also like to figure a better way to deal with pilgrimages, atm you just get the trait if visiting the right zone, but idealling I want you at the right spot, so a map resource would be nice maybe, St Catherine's Monastery not being on the map atm is a tad annoying.

Costs: Well most buildings need a major overall in costs as they are way to cheap, but I would like to see 7.0 make churches more needed eg need a % religion to recruit, and at the same time have a negative effect on your income. All those requests for alms and need for land, and lets face it to much money spoils the game.
    Last edited by Quark; July 02, 2012 at 09:37 AM.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Paragon's Avatar Senator

The jews are already present, in the heretic part of the religious population and the merchants /racist jokes
    This is my Aragonese AAR, One Single Man

If you read and comment, there WILL be cake!

Maritime republics

A victory condition for Genoa or Venice should include capturing such places as Caffa (Feodosiya) to represent its trading center nature. However the distance from capital effect would make it difficult to maintain order here so a Trade Center type building would be needed to increase order. As we dont want these built in Italy and give the faction a unfair order advantage, I suggest you add in a resource of italy, and then just use the milan/venice ones for such areas. This makes sense to, as there is really no reason why for recruit pool purposes Genoa, Venice and Sicily should not be able to recruit most of there units in the italian peninsula.

While you are at it, please add river to Bologna, not having it is a tad weird given its canals which boosted trade through its textile industry.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

An apothecary shop might be a cool addition also.

For people who want more control over gaining ancillaries for agents and generals could give traits for spies / assassins to increase subterfuge.. or for generals to increase chance of foiling assassination attempts or getting a battlefield surgeon ancillary.

More buildings which allow you to control which ancillaries your agents / generals get would be awesome.

that was the basis behind my economics wing of a university for merchants.

Monastery could probably add ancillaries for priests

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12