Thread: The Guns of Hochland, an AAR.

Default The Guns of Hochland, an AAR.

The Guns of Hochland
    A Story of the 51st Hochland Rifle Company
    The Woodies

This AAR will focus on the adventures of the 51st Hochland Rifles as they progress through my campaign. I cannot promise anything as this is my first AAR and mostly I will be doing experimentation in trying to learn how to write one properly. Here we go then.

Prologue:
    Darkness is nothing new for the populace of Hochland. Shrouded in thick wood, the entire region is bathed in forests of green. Thriving off of agricultural sustainability, Hochland is considered remote and backwater by most of the Empire. In addition, Hochland makes little interaction with most of the larger portion of the Empire, preferring to stick quietly to itself. While many of the practices in Hochland are considered outdated as the rest of the Empire becomes more modern, the local government of Hochland is actually noted as being one of the most able and successful in relation to the greater Empire.

However, Hochland is no where near secure.

In recent times, the dreaded Beastmen have been multiplying within the forests, causing violent and horrific attacks against the settlements that are scattered throughout the region. Beastmen raids are nothing foreign to the locals of the Drakwald Forest. However, it is with some disdain that the snarling beasts seem to be growing ever more rapidly in size and brutality. Traveling in the forests without weaponry and support these days is near suicide, and the local military is expanding great investments in stopping this threat once and for all.

Countless battles have taken place, and for the most part the Hochland forces have been on the backfoot.

This, in combination with the Empire's latest crusade against the unyielding forces of Chaos, has led to increased militarization in Hochland.
    Hochland's specialization in the art of Handgunning comes from their culture of hunting. The Long Rifle, one of the most feared ranged weapons of the Empire, was developed in the forests of Hochland for the hunt. Because of this, by the time most children reach their teenage years, they are already quite adequate shots and very capable with their rifles. The Empire realized this and immediately began to put pressure on the local governments of Hochland to raise regiments.

This is the story of one such regiment, the 51st Hochland Rifles, or, 'The Woodies'. Follow the lads from creation to the ends of the earth in what is one of the most violent chapters in the history of the Empire. For in this dark age, peace is but a fleeting dream left for dead idealists, there is only one reality, endless war!
    "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:
    1 - The Guns of Hochland (Call of Warhammer Medieval II Modification)
    2 - No Emperors, No Shoguns (Shogun II)

Default Re: The Guns of Hochland, an AAR.

Chapter 1
    "From Death, Birth."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    From the collected diaries of Private Alex Streiber

We had been marching for only a few hours, our patrol just about finishing. Captain Pingel was annoyed because we started slacking – it wasn't our fault we're all just new. The draft had taken every male of fighting age and put them into the militia because the standing army can't handle the goatmen that run around out here.

It was starting to get late, that much was obvious as the sun began to set and we could just make it out from above the trees. You can imagine how nervous I was, this being my first patrol and our torches were casting dancing shadows among the tree's that made us jump with fright around every bend.

The worst part was a breeze was sweeping through the forest as well, the whispering winds playing tricks with our ears. Captain Pingel and his men were the local professional militia of our little town. Most of them were recycled troops from the front, too old or too young to do anything substanstial anymore. Though, it was nice to talk with some of the more veteran members – they seemed to have no fear in anything.

We'd almost arrived back at the village when the scouts came back, screaming and waving their arms. "Dead! All dead!"

When Captain Pingel spoke with the three scouts, they spoke softly and away from the main body. Pingel's face looked grim and distant.

He marched us forward into the unknown, through the forest until we reached a small clearing. There, we encounted the bodies of a caravan and shifted through the wreckage. Not a single survivor amongst the lot of them, and there were dozens. Men, women, and children had been horrifically skewered, stabbed, and cut about in the most treacherous of ways. I vomited along with many of the other younger lads from the group, some cried, and others just stood stone faced and lost.

The scouts had found the tracks of the host that had committed this act, and we marched like daemons after the source. I was visibly shaking with anger and disbelief, what being could be capable of such slaughter? I hadn't wanted to join the militia, my father was a successful merchant and I had plans to attend schooling in Altdorf in a few months to continue my studies to become a Scholar. Now however, my dreams of writing seemed laughable and I could think of nothing better than to make these Beastmen pay with their own blood and lives for their actions. Instead of arguing against my position, I understood it, I knew now why we must fight.

It didn't take long to find the murdering beasts, their smell coated the air in the stench of rot, blood, and feces. I gagged and nearly vomited again.

We marched steadily towards them, our torches lighting the way towards the inevitable death that was to come.

At first I thought we had taken the beasts by surprise, they had been marching and we had come up from their flank. However, as we charged forward through the wood it was apparent that they had been expecting us. Almost at once, they charged headfirst into our ranks. Steel and flesh, like lovers, embraced.

The clash was terrifying. I felt like a completely different person, my mind pinging with thoughts of death, killing, and revenge. Waves of adrenaline pumped through my blood as we exchanged blows with the Beastmen. It became apparent however, that we were completely and hopelessly outnumbered. Within moments of the charge, Captain Pingel disappeared under the tide of charging hooves. Snarling, the beasts viciously trampled and slew anything in their path. We fought bravely, but we knew we couldn't fight forever.

To me, there is nothing more beautiful than the low bass thumping of the Long Rifle. From seemingly no where, a patrol of Hochland's finest emerged from over a large hill. Arrayed in a line, the Handgunner's fired without mercy into the rear ranks of the Beastmen. Members of the Drakwald Patrol surged downwards joining us in the fray.

I had taken a blow from the back hand of one of the beasts and had stumbled over. I think it may have saved my life as death coursed all around me. The fighting moved steadily away and I only just got the strength to stand up. Surrounding me was the bodies of my militia comrades, only two others had survived the onslaught. Together, we rushed forward and eagerly ran back into the fray.

Luckily, the Beastmen had been severely decimated from the sustained Long Rifle fire and the expert death-dealing delivered by the Drakwald Patrol, and they began fleeing off into the woods.

I felt a wave of fatigue hit me like a rock and I dropped my sword and nearly fell to my knee's when my dear friend Fran Liftzmeir helped me back to my feet, "They want to speak with us." He had said breathlessly.

There we stood, the survivors of the Dusk Patrol, face to face with the men of the Drakwald Patrol.

It was like meeting the heroes out of a legend, they wore unphased smirks and grins. We, on the other hand, were all breathless, shocked, crying, and numb. Soaked in dirt, sweat, grime, and blood we clung onto each other for support as their Captain spoke to us.

"I have never seen a braver bunch," He started, "Where is your Captain?"

There were only a handful of survivors from Pingel's company and one of them muttered, "Dead."

"Then by Sigmar, let us all take a moment of silence." It was one of the most eerie experiences of my life. Around us, the moaning of the wounded and dying could be heard alongside the distant fighting as the remnants of the Beastmen were driven off and destroyed.

It felt like hours had passed when the silence was finally broken again.

"I am Captain Hulfrek von Clievstein of the Drakwald Patrol, you're lucky we saw your torches or else you would all have perished here." His voice had taken a very grim tone, as if he were our father scolding us all.

One of his soldiers had whispered something into his ear, and we all felt a wave of uneasiness.

"It would appear," He said very tenderly, "That we are in need of fresh soldiers for a new regiment being raised in these parts."

We all stared dead-eyed.

"Handgunners. There is a commission going around by the Count himself," He paused a moment for effect, "If any man volunteer's he shall be taken to Hergig, outfitted, trained, and of course, paid. Raise your hands if you wish to join."

There was a longer silence.

"If you choose to not volunteer then you will remain in the local militia until you are called to stand down."

We all raised our hands.

He smiled, "Good."

We returned home to weeping families and friends and cleaned up at the barracks. We all got medals for valor, but I feel nothing but pity for Pingel's men. In a few days we'll be leaving Visselach for a long time, I only hope that I may see my family again when this is all done.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

Chapter 2
    "Hills of Agony."

It was the bitter, cold months of the harshest winter we had faced in years when we had arrived in Hergig for our training. For weeks, we had been practicing formation drills, firing techniques, and other forms of basic training. Now, it seems, we were almost done.

Most of the lads are from the surrounding area near Visselach which is just south of Hergig and tucked into a large portion of forest. Many of us had grown up amongst the tree's, and spent countless hours exploring its vastness.

When we had arrived at Hergig, many of the city lads would pick on us as we were so unfamiliar with their customs. I had never seen the city before, and I must say it is not as beautiful as it is said to be. Perhaps that is because we are in a time of war, soldiers are marching through the streets and there seems to be an air of tenseness floating down every alleyway and road.

We stayed garrisoned at Helgig throughout the winter and finished our training. We were a ragtag band of misfits and our Captain, Luchen Vulpin, had been elected by popular vote to take command. He is a good man, hailing from a hunting village not far from Visselach. His home had been raided by the Beastmen a few months ago and he had lost many friends and family members. He is a resolute and intelligent man with a vast knowledge on terrain, even some of the senior soldiers who had trained us were taken aback by his skill in the rifle.

When Spring began to poke it's head, we had all gotten word of a large host of Beastmen moving about the southern part of the province. Apparently, Imperial spies had located the source of their movements, a large encampment nestled just by the border between Hochland and where the Middenland and Talabecland meet.

"Orders from above," Captain Vulpin said, "The Prince has arrived in Hergig and is requesting a large host of fighting men."

The Prince was young when we had arrived at the welcoming ceremonies. Standing in formation, we watched him ride past us and I got a good look at him as he waved to the crowds of peasants that stood behind us. He looked uneasy, something was about to happen.

About two weeks after his arrival we had been incorporated in a raised army under the command of Prince Godwin. It was a feeling of immense honor and privledge, and we were marching side by side with some of the most decorated regiments that have come out of Hochland. When we met some of the other soldiers, they laughed at us.

"Buncha no-nothin' woodies." One of the soldiers had said to us as he marched past.

Vulpin had been impressed and from then on he began calling us all woodies. What was a terrible joke had become our regiments nickname – I suppose it could not have been more fitting for our band of outcasts and rogues from the deep forests of the Drakwald.

We had camped in a small clearing after marching hard for three days when Vulpin had been called off to meet with the other senior officers. He returned a couple hours later, just as the sun went down to report what he had been told. Apparently we were a days march away from the enemies camp and that come morning, we would be engaging them.

I didn't sleep at all, neither, I think, did most of the others. Tossing and turning, images of the Dusk Patrol and the slaughter that had taken place there filled my head. When we were called into formation the next morning, a deep pit of fear had swelled into my stomach.

We could smell the death on the air as we neared the Beastmen camp. Forward scouts had returned and we would be on them in less than an hour.

"Then we shall rest awhile here." The Prince had exclaimed and leapt off his horse.

As we rested in the shade of a great hill, talking amongst ourselves quietly, someone was shouting.

"To arms! To arms! The enemy is upon us!"

Captain Vulpin hastily arrayed us in formation and the Prince himself, along with his retinue of impressive looking knights, made the rounds speaking to each individual unit under his command.

I couldn't help but overhearing a small arguement between Prince Godwin and one of his knights.

"There is too many, we won't beat them, at least, not here." The knight had stage whispered.

"We ride the wings of glory," Prince Godwin replied loudly,

"If death is where our flight brings us then let us die well!"

It was a dreary and cloudy day as we marched forward up the vast hill ahead of us. In the distance, we could hear the war drums of the Beastmen as they moved to engage us.

My Long Rifle felt heavy in my arms as we began to jog up the hill, trying to get a better position before the enemy came upon us.

Below us, we could just make out the faint outlines of more Beastmen.

"Oh, just wonderful..." Someone had muttered when this was pointed out.

As we came to a halt and wheeled to face the oncoming enemy I realized just how vulnerable I felt. The Handgunner regiments were standing in front of the infantry, preparing to launch deadly volleys into the enemy before the infantry rushed forward to clash.

We peppered the ground in heavy shot, however, the Beastmen had the natural cover of the rolling hills and I don't think we really hit all that much as they charged over the hill. Firing off a last volley, the trumpet sounded and we sprinted behind the small columns of infantry as they surged towards the monsters.

Captain Vulpin looked impressive as he casually walked us into position.

"Have no fear," He yelled, "We are in Sigmar's hands now!"

We began firing off volleys to support the infantry as they fought violently with the Beastmen. However, it became clear that we were once again outnumbered, and the Beastmen began to break off from the main body of battle and started to charge off towards the various Handgunner positions. I felt a wave of fear as I saw a large group of Beastigors, the heavily armored brutes, come roaring towards us. We fired as many volleys as they could but it just seemed to make them even more angry.

When they hit our lines I knew we had lost.

They slaughted scores of men as they swung their heavy axes around in the air. We were only equipped with petty little short swords and daggers, it was only a matter of time before they wiped us all out. The Regiment to our right was disappearing very rapidly beneath the hooves of the enemies.

Prince Godwin and his men could be seen riding to and fro across the field of battle, charging into the rear ranks of enemies and then breaking off to repeat the process. His men slammed into the back of the Beastigors attacking us and killed dozens, but it was in vain.

Our main line had collapsed, and we, having taken up the left flank, realized they had swarmed around the infantry in a vast circle.

The enemy reinforcements had arrived and were dealing out death in droves. The horn of retreat sounded and we saw Prince Godwin ride off down the hill.

"Fall back! Run for your lives!" Captain Vulpin screamed and we broke off in every sort of direction running for safety.

The Beastmen were hot on our heels and we kept running even if they were slowly overtaking us. Someone behind me screamed but I dared not look back and just kept running. All around me, similar scenes of retreat were taking place and the Beastmen were having a holiday cleaving helpless men into the ground.

I ran away from the main body of my regiment, figuring they wouldn't run after a single target.

By the time I reached the bottom of the hill I was out of breath and numb. Men arrived in handfuls, the sound of slaughter still echoed from the hill. A great roar from the Beasts was made as they had realized victory had just been won. It sent chills down to my very being and I let out a wail of terror.

It had been a slaughter.

When Prince Godwin regrouped the survivors within the safety of the forests it was painful to see so many missing faces. The 51st had taken the least amount of casualities, and for that I suppose, I was thankful.

I didn't know what to feel emotionally as we entered the gates of Fort Schippel and then took wagons to Helgig again. The entire journey felt like a blur and I cannot remember many details about it other than replacements coming to join our outfit. Even when we had been given news that the enemy commander had been killed in the battle, I still felt a great numbness. The Prince, disgraced, remained at Fort Schippel and didn't even give us a parting word.

Captain Vulpin had been wounded and was taken for treatment as we stayed at the barracks in Helgig. Nobody spoke for days after the battle.

I'm not really sure how I managed to survive. I suppose nobody else is either. There is only one thing I know for certain now:

We are living on borrowed time.
    Last edited by Liberator; July 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to take screenshots and still fight the battles out. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to view my replays however, I think for the most part things are running fairly smooth.
    Last edited by Liberator; June 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

It looks wonderful. There are far too few AARs out there, I'll definitely be following.

Thanks so much! Hopefully by the end of this I will know how to make a great AAR!
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Incredible!

Can't wait to read more

Oh cool! Been too long since the last CoW AAR. Reading now!

New update coming soon, been really busy with work so I haven't been able to properly type out what just happened, because it was pretty insane.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

Chapter 3
    "Remember Breder."

"Breder was the site of one of the bloodiest battles ever to be fought on Imperial soil. It was here that the forces of Hochland proved themselves to all the Empire that they were capable of handling even the most daunting of tasks on their own."
    - Taken from: The Empire and its Crusades: A Written History.

The Diary of Captain Vulpin

Restless. That's what we are. Ever since our last battle the lads have been itching for a chance to redeem themselves. The months have tumbled onwards with seemingly no sign of any deployments.

This year, the harvests have been bad and food has been rationed even harder than normal.

Tensions seem to be rising steadily upwards. The Beastmen, it would seem, are staying silent. Not many moves against them have been made as of late, but it is good to hear that the other Counties are coming to our aid to provide necessary support.

Terrible news has come from the Northern city of Breder.

A vast host of Night Goblins have ransacked the city, and the Baron Harold Ludenhorf taken prisoner. The Count himself has been visiting all available soldiers in the city – I believe that we shall be marshaled and that Breder shall be in our hands once again very soon...

Finally we have been called into action!

A crusade launched to retake the city of Breder from the hands of the enemy! For days now we have been camped outside Breder, laying siege to the vile host that now hide behind its walls. There are quite a large number of us – almost the whole army of Hochland is now assembled and ready for this fight.

Captain Vulpin seemed in higher spirits today, he told us that we would be attacking the city come noon tomorrow. It is hard to mask the excitement we're all feeling. I can only imagine the glory we shall all bask in once these walls come tumbling down! I know, I must try to sleep, but the prospect of victory is overpowering.

Perhaps when I shall write again, I will be a Baron myself!

The following entry:

It is finally over. Breder, is ours.

We were assembled outside the city walls, our forces awaiting the orders to begin the advancement. The 51st surged forwards alongside a few other Handgunning regiments and we began firing at the walls, pinning the defenders down. On our sides, men with ladders ran like daemons towards the enemies defenses. Great siege towers and rams rolled along the ground, the objective clear.

Before the battle, Captain Vulpin had expressed to us the seriousness of this fight. The Night Goblins, as they are called, were vast in numbers and experience. I had never seen a Goblin before this day and had only heard the legends. Small little creatures, I figured they were harmless.

Alongside me, my comrades began to fall as the Goblins returned fire. Poor Jurgen Feisel was killed three days before he was going to be given leave to return home to celebrate his daughter's birthday, I saw the stray arrow that hit him between the eyes and there was nothing I could do to save him.

The fighting on the walls was horrific. Bodies toppled from the battlements and crumpled onto the hard ground beneath, while others were flung from the ladders itself and joined the realm of the dead and dying.

Hundreds of soldiers were climbing steadily upwards however, and it began to look promising for us. They were pushing hard and forcing the defenders back off the walls, the volleys that were hitting our ranks slowed tremendously. The great siege ram rolled forward and decimeted the gate allowing the main body of the army to move inwards.

Breder was burning.

The fighting in the streets was mericless and personal. Some of the regiments had come from Breder or the surrounding areas, and wanted nothing more than to punish the evil host that now tainted its beauty.

As we began moving into the city, Count Aldrebrand and his son Prince Godwin rode past us. They were chatting eagerly, their elite bodyguards riding behind them ready for the coming fight. Unknown to them both was that this was to be their last encounter as father and son.

We assembled at the mouth of a long street and began hammering off volleys into the oncoming tide of Night Goblins. Behind us, infantry blocs awaited orders to rush past us and engage. Within moments it felt, the Night Goblins were upon us and we fell backwards as the infantry crushed their lines as if they were swatting insects into the ground. The Count and his men rode deep into the enemies lines, trampling the bastards under the hooves of their great warhorses and skewering Goblins with their swords.

It was only after the battle that I had learned that the Count had seen the late Baron of Breder, his very brother, Harold Ludenhorf, impaled upon the Chapel of Breder, quite dead. Filled with hatred and the need for revenge, the Count had forsaken his better judgement and rushed headfirst into the fray.

The Count and his men cracked a great hole in the lines of the Night Goblins, breaking their ranks and sending them scrambling for cover. We all rushed forward to try and make the final blow. When that didn't come, we realized the painfully obvious:

Count Aldrebrand was overextended.

Isolated, he and his knights were swarmed by Night Goblins. Urged onwards by Captain Vulpin, we slung our rifles and charged into the Night Goblin lines alongside our battle brothers. Even the infamous mercenary Blackjack Kerl and his Dwarven Thunderers had come to help.

Together, we fought like men possessed.

The bodies of the Night Goblins fell all around us and we ignored them and continued pressing forward. I remember seeing red, only red, and swinging my blade into body after body after body. Within minutes after this vicious assault, the enemy had fallen back to the town center where they were engaged and soon reduced to nothing more than rotting corpses.

As the adrenaline passed everyone began to regroup. The dead had found their home in Breder, and they had filled every street in the city.

The smell was terrible, the carnage terrifying. As we assembled into formation, Captain Vulpin began to count over our numbers. We hadn't suffered nearly as bad as some of the other Handgunner regiments, and surely not as bad as the other infantry columns that had fought at Breder.

There was a sound of deep horns signifying that the Count had wished to speak to us, so we assembled in the town square.

We stepped over the bodies of the fallen as if they were rodents and stood at strict attention awaiting the Count. Only, it was not the Count who had appeared but his son, the Prince Godwin who we had fought alongside with before.

Almost at once I felt a wave of dread.

"My father," He had started his voice cracking, "is dead."

The silence was only broken by that of the dying and the crows that had gathered to feast. Then, as if on cue, men began to weep openly. I felt myself trembling, surely, the great Count Aldrebrand could never die?

Godwin raised his hand, his armor clinking as he did so, the entire army went silent.

"We shall never forget this day, men of Hochland, nor shall we forgive the evil that brought this upon us. Our victory today is sealed with blood, blood that has not been spilt in vain. For now, warriors of Hochland, of the Empire, for now we must take what we have won here and send it back a hundred fold onto the lands of the Chaos filth! We shall never surrender, until every one of us has been killed Hochland shall remain free!"

We roared out our agreement, my ears rang for hours afterwards.

I now lay in my bed in our camp just outside the city walls as life begins to return anew to Breder. There are reports that another massive host of Night Goblins lurks North, and I feel that we shall be meeting them in battle soon. I look forward to nothing more.

Rest in peace my Count.
    Last edited by Liberator; July 02, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Great writing Liberator, I'll be following this
    +1

New update coming shortly, on vacation and I haven't had time to do the write-up though the screenshots are complete. Just to warn any followers, this AAR ends when the unit is completely wiped out, and judging from the way the blood has been flowing that may be coming very soon.

- Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

Chapter 4
    "Beating the Beasts."

"Ertburg you say? Such a city that was cast to ruins by the rampaging Beastmen is now restored? By Sigmar, but this is the only good news I've heard in months."
    - Count Godwin Ludenhof upon hearing the news of the liberation of Ertburg.

It's funny, how you begin to see yourself as a veteran.

Most of the old guard from those dark days in the Drakwald militia are dead or were sent home, their wounds to grevious for them to continue duty. As the battles continue, newer faces pass into the ranks and you begin to feel like a stranger. You stick to your comrades, the ones you trained with, fought with, believed in. Then, little by little, that group of brothers trickles away – like grains of sand in an hourglass.

When we got wind that we were marching again against one of the last Beastmen strongholds in the Drakwald, I was overjoyed. The Night Goblins disappeared somewhere in the North, we were told not to pursue and the entire army of Hochland began to reorganize and refit. There was a lot of training going on in Hochland during the past few months, the military surge was increasing as the draft began to take its true effect. I was a little shocked to see so many new faces...

Captain Vulpin had called us as he always did in the company barracks. There was talk, there was movements... the city of Ertburg was going to be liberated and we would be in the main attack.

I'm only nineteen years standard, almost twenty, but I've seen just as much as some of the oldest bastards in the army nevermind the 51st. And now, we were going straight back into it.

When the forward scouting and raid parties returned to Hergig we were briefed. Under the direct command of the new heir, Prince Charles Ludenhof, our mission was straightforward. Hochland had suffered some heavy casualities fighting the goblins, so the attacking force would not be as large as originally intended. The Prince however seemed certain in our resolve and we marched from the city towards Ertburg, death on the wind.

The Diary of Captain Vulpin

We have found Ertburg, the march was easy enough and the boys seem eager for a chance to get some revenge on the beasts.

I am worried though, the new Prince is hot headed and is known for charging head first into the fight ahead of his troops. Charles is a good man, don't get me wrong, but it is this hot headedness that gets men killed unnecessarily.

Some of the new blood are young, younger than some of the boys we started out with. But now those boys have become men, if only from the violence they've witnessed. I'd be lying if I didn't admit to how nervous I was, though things seem to be improving for Hochland. The Empire is in a fragile state, I can attest to that, if a large host of Chaos ever found its way from the Wastes...

Sigmar preserve us, but I'm terrified.

What more is there to say? Ertburg was liberated. I suppose though, for my own sanity at least, I should keep record of what happened. Who knows, maybe someday some poor bastard will stumble across this diary long after I'm dead. Maybe I'll be famous?

The clock struck midnight. We attacked.

Prince Charles is fightening to behold, a massive beast of a man, clad in his full plate armour he is even more a sight! It is also whispered amongst the others that the Prince is godless and athiest... though nobody ever has the guts to ask him in the flesh.

Unlike most of the nobility, he prefers to fight on foot. I guess we all respect him a bit more because of that, at least us foot sloggers.

We carried torches and lanterns as we approached the city from its outskirts. It was eerily quiet, and the long reaches of the Drakwald welled up in the distance. To our left, somewhere anyways, the great river that runs through all of Hochland was flowing but we couldn't see it.

Our rams reached the gate early, smashing into the thick steel again and again.

Enemy arrows whizzed overhead, men dropped before they had time to scream. We provided light covering fire, but for the most part, we were useless. When the gates came down, all we could was watch as the lads charged into the breach. It was a great noise, and the carnage was brutal and absolute.

We began our trek forward, Captain Vulpin leading us on despite the worried look in his eye.

I felt my stomach muscles clench up as they always did from nerves just before a battle. Memories of that horrific defeat drove me onwards, mixing the rush for vengeance and the fear of death into one powerful nameless emotion.

The armies were clashing in the main city center, bodies dropping left and right onto the dirt road.

The Beastmen had descreted the city, unholy symbols dotted its walls and streets. The godless monsters had burnt the city down for the most part and rebuilt it into a fortified encampment long before I was born and had lived there ever since. It felt almost intoxicating realizing how important of a role in history this battle would play out to be, and I used this to carry myself forward alongside my comrades.

There was Brigmire, Weare, Jorgen, and other members of the old guard alongside me. My ever faithful friend, Franz right by my side belting out an old Hochland folk song. Even the worry seemed to fade from Vulpin's eyes as we marched towards the main gate into the city.

Our lads had given them a proper beating, and beast blood ran like rivers in Ertburg that night. They had pushed through the gate by force alone and sent the enemy sprawling back.

Now locked in bloody conflict, they began slaughtering the godless creatures like the fodder they were.

Many of the beasts fled, running away or back into the main city square for a final defense while their Shaman leader made his final stand, surrounded by the swords and pikes of Hochland's finest.

The main gates saw the worst of the fighting, but when the Shaman fell the enemy, demoralised, ran for their very lives.

We showed no mercy that night. Taking up firing positions, we covered our lads up the winding streets fighting off the occassional mob as they fought like cornered animals. The main army marched up the main street, Prince Charles leading the attack as he cut down scores of beastmen with his greatsword.

Mullen, our beloved flagbearer, began taunting the fleeing beasts, wagging his arse at them as we marched over their corpses.

As we were laughing and singing, Captain Vulpin began wheeling us around the outskirts of the city so that we could flank the remaining beasts as they tried to hold the center of the town. A company of Pistoliers had caught wind of our plan and hustled off to close off the other flanks.

Prince Charles and his fighters broke the enemy lines and charged into the city center as we emerged from a side street, taking up a firing line. Still singing, we fired volley after volley into the deformed, mutated beasts.

On the right flank, the Pistoliers were doing the same, firing rounds off from horseback. This, in combination with our own volleys was ripping their lines apart.

I was impressed, and so were many of the lads, at just how effective concentrated firepower could be. I remember tracking one of the Beastmen through my scope and steadied my aim, firing straight and true. The shot whacked into the side of the creatures skull, erupting it into a volcano of gore. It's body slammed onto its side and lay twitching on the ground where it was soon buried beneath the corpses of its comrades.

We marched around behind the last of them as the infanty began to finish the fight. We didn't let a single one of the bastards survive the onslaught. With careful aim, we picked off the rear guard of the last enemy battalion while the beasts up front were mercilessly cut down.

As the battle came to a close, I realized I was trembling. I had cleared my throat and wiped my sweaty palms on my cloak before I realized that I was actually crying. These tears felt strange to me, and I can't really understand why it was that I wept so. Perhaps it was the singing, the comradeship, the feeling of worth.

Ertburg was in the hands of the Empire again, and I knew that this also had the dual meaning that the roads between the various towns and cities of Hochland would be a lot more secure. Though the Drakwald still holds many dangers and horrors, the dreaded beastmen will be counted as one less.

The Prince was in high spirits as well, and we let out a rousing victory cry as the liberation came to a close, the remaining beastmen rounded up and killed without question or hesitation.

It had been a very sound victory and certainly one that proved that Prince Charles was a capable commander despite the rumors and myths that surrounded him.

He was granted the title 'Liberator of Ertburg' and granted juridisction over the city directly.

Much work still must be done however, and we will be staying in Ertburg as the city is rebuilt and its inhabitants return. At least we will get a break from fighting, I'm dreadfully tired of that and the labour will be hard but rewarding in a way that won't have to deal with death and destruction. Perhaps maybe I can even get some leave?

Taken from 'Hochland: A History' by Griff von Cleavesteir

After securing Ertburg, the Prince Charles of Ertburg began its reconstruction in earnest. Lasting for five months, the reconstruction brought many jobs to the region as the work needed to repair, rebuild, and refurbish was seemingly never ending. Members of the clergy were brought in to do a thorough cleansing of the area and when it was deemed fit, the building began.

Within three months, most of the work had been completed with the main section of the city rebuilt to its former glory. The palace was not built until the fourth month, and it was then that it was opened for the public to begin settling. There had been doubts at first that Ertburg would be empty, but it didn't take long for settlers and eager and ambitious merchants to begin setting up shop and home within the walls of the newly liberated community.

Though, even despite the beautiful reconstruction and complete purification of the city, there were still many dark rumors that surrounded it. It wasn't uncommon for some preacher to be found spouting off Chaos idealogy in some of the more run down sections of the restored city, and these instigators were dealt with swiftly – their likes burned in great pyres at the foot of the massive Church of Ertburg in a public ceremony.

Those that had partaken in the battle were given three weeks leave with full pay and pension and awarded a ribbon for their contribution to the battle.
    Last edited by Liberator; July 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

N/A
    Last edited by Liberator; July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

N/A
    Last edited by Liberator; July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

I am afraid this might be the last entry in this AAR. For whatever reason, when I try to load my save game in the campaign it automatically CTDs. I will keep trying to fix this somehow but if I can't load it by the end of the week I may just have to call it quits.

Hoping for the best...
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

THE GUNS OF HOCHLAND IS NOT DEAD!

I have decided to suck it up and play through a new campaign and try to make it fit what had occurred previously in the story. I will then hopefully be able to pick up where I left off like nothing had ever happened. I apologise deeply for the delay in updates but I am working on getting that fixed!
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:

Very good AAR keep up the good work

Black_Nebula's Avatar Tiro

Great AAR, look forward to more adventures!
    "I find your lack of faith...disturbing" -DV