Thread: I want honest feedback, good and bad. Please.

Icon5 I want honest feedback, good and bad. Please.

Ok, so here is what its all about.
    In early 2007. I made a youtube account with very stupid username, dopehunter01. I am very sorry for that but now its to late for change. In 2011. when Shogun 2 came out i see a lot of people recording their gameplay so i started to do it by myself and actually i had a lot of fun doing that.

I must say that people from my country, Croatia, don't have opportunity to become Youtube partners so i am not recording for money or fame, its only a pure pleasure for me. Since i put a lot of effort to improve my editing skills, design of channel and even try to improve my English. I was hoping to get more feedback, more comments, more subscribers, more likes or dislikes for my videos.

After more than a year of more or less engagement on my side i still have very low number of viewers and almost no feedback.

My question is: What do you think? After viewing my channel design and maybe some of my latest videos. Where my mistakes are and what i am doing good. Do i deserve more subscribers?

I must point out that 99% of my uploads are in 1080p full HD. Try to watch this video in a full screen and tell me what do you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzOlh7bo44
    Visit my new Youtube.com/channelMorphine for TW strategy, tactics and let's plays.
    (all recordings are available in Full HD 1080p)

HOI4 beta - You can enlist for Hearts of Iron 4 beta access by following this referrer link: www.heartsofiron4.com

Share your feedback please:
    ► Twitter.com/MorphineTW
    ► Facebook.com/MorphineTW

Default Re: I want honest feedback, good and bad. Please.

Just watched it. I'ts not my kind of thing - gameplay videos. I watch them only to check out new games before I buy them. I prefer well written AAR, or actually playing the game myself - watching others play seems like a boring idea.
    But quality of your video is perfect. I like the 3d intro very much, it looks very professional. Sound editing is very good too, although I don't like that kind of "supermarket music" very much.
    So, maybe the theme of videos you've chosen just isn't too popular?

Under the Patronage of: Ishan

I would have to agree with BullGod - I think its neat but perhaps more action less talking ^_^ but thats just me...
    ~My Rome 2 Mods~
    No Moral, Land and Naval
    ---------------------------
    ~My Shogun 2 Mods~
    1 Turn Buildings all campaigns
    ---------------------------
    No unit moral, Land and Naval

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

I for one enjoy these sort of videos so let me give some different perspective . The editing was excellent as they stated. I LOVE the full HD that is always nice to see. Now, you can get popular with these sort of videos (or at least relatively so) but you need to do several things imo. Before I start let me say almost all of these are things Heir of Carthage does and I love him so i am biased .
    1. Be nice and respond to your viewers. Nothing makes you lose subscribers faster than a mean-spirited or condescending response. Look at POM I love him but many people prefer Heir of Carthage partially because of the attitude.
    2. Speak clearly and don't just narrate what is happening. Give insight into the game and try and engage your audience. Additionally, talk about yourself, if you haven't posted in a while explain why. This sort of thing is actually quite interesting and a nice change of pace from a normal "lets play".
    3. HAVE VARIETY. Doing just one campaign on one game can get boring. Switch it up use multiple games (preferably ones that still allow #4) and also do MP & SP.
    4. HAVE FUN. Nothing is more boring to watch than someone doing something just because they have to. Play while you are enjoying yourself and its more likely the audience will enjoy it.
    5. Do collaborations. Play against other big name Total War Youtubers. This will garner you new subscribers, more interest, and future plugs.
    6. Action. Good cinematography goes a long way when dealing with youtube. It is very hard to sit through an entire 13 min video if there are no battles breaking it up. Adding a samuari slicing open a ashigaru, a massive explosion or a synchronized volley wont hurt either. I literally just watched an 52 min long "lets play" and I didnt even notice the time.

Ill subscribe and watch more videos just to see how things go Good Luck
    Last edited by Bob Doad; June 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Might be a little too late to build up a Shogun 2 fanbase.

My suggestion would be to target the next game in the franchise, and in the meantime, refine your editing techniques and commentary style, assuming you feel that they can be improved.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lionheartx10's Avatar Youtube Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doad View Post
    I for one enjoy these sort of videos so let me give some different perspective . The editing was excellent as they stated. I LOVE the full HD that is always nice to see. Now, you can get popular with these sort of videos (or at least relatively so) but you need to do several things imo. Before I start let me say almost all of these are things Heir of Carthage does and I love him so i am biased .
    1. Be nice and respond to your viewers. Nothing makes you lose subscribers faster than a mean-spirited or condescending response. Look at POM I love him but many people prefer Heir of Carthage partially because of the attitude.
    2. Speak clearly and don't just narrate what is happening. Give insight into the game and try and engage your audience. Additionally, talk about yourself, if you haven't posted in a while explain why. This sort of thing is actually quite interesting and a nice change of pace from a normal "lets play".
    3. HAVE VARIETY. Doing just one campaign on one game can get boring. Switch it up use multiple games (preferably ones that still allow #4) and also do MP & SP.
    4. HAVE FUN. Nothing is more boring to watch than someone doing something just because they have to. Play while you are enjoying yourself and its more likely the audience will enjoy it.
    5. Do collaborations. Play against other big name Total War Youtubers. This will garner you new subscribers, more interest, and future plugs.
    6. Action. Good cinematography goes a long way when dealing with youtube. It is very hard to sit through an entire 13 min video if there are no battles breaking it up. Adding a samuari slicing open a ashigaru, a massive explosion or a synchronized volley wont hurt either. I literally just watched an 52 min long "lets play" and I didnt even notice the time.

Ill subscribe and watch more videos just to see how things go Good Luck
    Well said, can't think of anything to add here myself, but I'll check over some of your videos and post back here if I have any other comments to make But yeah, great Quality and 100% agree with Bob Doad's points!
    “To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.”

http://www.youtube.com/user/lionheartx10

Thanks everyone! Will try to work on that. Only problem is my English so its hard to animate other people and keep them watching for 30 minutes so i try to keep campaign videos under 15. I noticed that MP battles have a lot more views and that is probably because of action and short duration. I was recording only MP for a long time (there is a playlist on right) but since FOTS came out i can't stop playing SP.
    Definitely need to work on my English and rich my vocabulary ti express myself easier.
    Visit my new Youtube.com/channelMorphine for TW strategy, tactics and let's plays.

HOI4 beta - You can enlist for Hearts of Iron 4 beta access by following this referrer link: www.heartsofiron4.com

► Twitter.com/MorphineTW

Greve Af Göteborg's Avatar Protector Domesticus

To be honest I think that your voice and the music in the background was very sleep-inducing. Maybe you should try to make the videos a bit more fast paced and try to include excitement in your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Greve Af Göteborg View Post
    To be honest I think that your voice and the music in the background was very sleep-inducing. Maybe you should try to make the videos a bit more fast paced and try to include excitement in your voice.
    Yea i wanted to setup a calm atmosphere for campaigns so its not annoying and mask my English problems. Take a look at this video and tell me what you think about soundtrack. Its little faster, especially when main fight starts: PrussianPrince vs. Twitchy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NTJxXgo90

► Twitter.com/MorphineTW

Your voice is fine and your decision to put in your own music is actually a great idea if you ask me.

Your voice reminds me of this guy.

You just need either a better mic or to have your voice higher in the mix.

Also, never make the mistake of thinking that because something you have made isnt popular, it isnt good.
    Random factors play a big part in the flow of viewers/listeners you receive in any creative work, you might never get the views you were hoping for or you may all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by agent 47 View Post
    Your voice is fine and your decision to put in your own music is actually a great idea if you ask me.

Your voice reminds me of this guy.

You just need either a better mic or to have your voice higher in the mix.

Also, never make the mistake of thinking that because something you have made isnt popular, it isnt good.
    Random factors play a big part in the flow of viewers/listeners you receive in any creative work, you might never get the views you were hoping for or you may all of a sudden.
    I have Razer headset "Carcharias" and mic. Is ok but the problem is in the background noise and probably my sound setup in windows. Will try to work it out, maybe put some EQ.

btw. that guy is ugly but have a great voice, perfect for radio or TV stations.

► Twitter.com/MorphineTW

Quote Originally Posted by Morphine View Post
    I have Razer headset "Carcharias" and mic. Is ok but the problem is in the background noise and probably my sound setup in windows. Will try to work it out, maybe put some EQ.
    Believe me, you don't want to go in that forest

Usual audio processing chain look like this:
    1. You record voice and video separately.
    2. You tweak your voice track in audacity(or whatever you are using):
    - remove noise
    - compress
    - normalize
    - may be add some reverberation or EQ if needed (I still can't figure out good settings for this)
    3. You export game sound from video.
    4. You watch video with your voice track to figure out time shift needed for audio-video sync.
    5. You mix your voice and game sound tracks and add them into your video.

Well, when you have some experience it takes 10-15 minutes to do, but it is a long way to go while you are still trying to understand.
    Here nice tutorial to start with.

The Dutch Devil's Avatar Krakiszki the Hunter
    Content Emeritus

Thread moved from Shogun II to Graphic Workshop.

If you want some more feedback, please link the videos you want feedback on.

Patronized by the glorious all knowing Legio.

Thread moved from Graphic Workshop to Help Section
    EBII fan appeal: The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] is in dire need of YOUR HELP RIGHT NOW! - Dear modders, please get in touch HERE!