Thread: would this improve my game

Default would this improve my game

My game, medieval 2, runs ok using just my mobo's onboard video, which is ATI Radeon 3100. I was wondering if either of these video cards would be an upgrade or just a waste of money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127557

Any thoughts?

Foederatus

Default Re: would this improve my game

of course it would, both cards have 1gb video memory, series 5 radeon can use directx 11 + they are both quite cheap. i use ati 5770 and can run everything on high, usually not ultra high.

cool thanks

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

You do not say how much RAM you have, but its also good to have plenty of RAM, so that is a good investment as well

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Well, I thought I might ask the question here since the Topic is open. I'm planning on getting a new laptop to replace my 4 year old one, and I'm wondering how well the new one I'm planning on running will run SS:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...ming&cp=1&lp=3

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

TW Wolfe,

More than enough with 4GB RAM and 1GB Graphs Card, although is it not a bit expensive. If that is US Dollars, I thought things were cheaper in the US. Here in the UK I could get a desktop with an I7 and biggers graphs for that and here its deemed more expensive than elsewhere in the world

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    More than enough with 4GB RAM and 1GB Graphs Card, although is it not a bit expensive.
    Actually, 2 GB of RAM is enough for pretty much every game. If you have more then 2 GB of RAM, the only thing you should look at is the RAM speed. (faster RAM-sticks obviously give better preformance)

Now it's true that faster RAM often comes with more RAM, but really, you won't use it by just playing games (Even stuff like Skyrim works perfectly fine on 2 GB)

About the video RAM, you don't need to worry as well. Only high-quality videocards use much of it, and those usually come with a lot of RAM already. I even believe your PC will automatically appoint your regular RAM to the video card if it runs out of its own RAM...

EDIT: If you want a good laptop for a small price, just look around and compare a lot. Eventually, you'll find something both cheap and good
    (For €600 I got: i7 @2.00 Ghz (quad core), 500 GB harddisk, 6 GB of RAM (like it matters ), nvidea GEforce GT 540M, 17 inch screen)
    Last edited by Dwarven Berserker; June 25, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Paleo's Avatar Miles

$1000 and it doesnt even have i7 .... you could get something much cheaper that will play total war easily

Dwarven Berserker's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
    $1000 and it doesnt even have i7 .... you could get something much cheaper that will play total war easily
    Well, to be honest, a 3.0 GHz i5 processor (laptop i5 always have 2 cores i believe) will run Medieval 2 and earlier total war games smoother then a 2.0 GHz i7 (which have 4 cores), because these games can only use one core at the time.

And as i5 processors usually have higher clock speed (but fewer cores) then an i7 processor, getting an i5 wouldn't be a bad idea actually
    this signature is completely pointless. have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarven Berserker View Post
    Well, to be honest, a 3.0 GHz i5 processor (laptop i5 always have 2 cores i believe) will run Medieval 2 and earlier total war games smoother then a 2.0 GHz i7 (which have 4 cores), because these games can only use one core at the time.

And as i5 processors usually have higher clock speed (but fewer cores) then an i7 processor, getting an i5 wouldn't be a bad idea actually

Huzzah, I'm not really planning on getting any really new, super-demanding games anytime soon. The reason I don't want a desktop is i really don't spend a lot of time in my room.

Besides, it won't really make much difference when playing the most demanding game in the world....

DWARF FORTRESS!!!

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.