Thread: Granicus River

Default Granicus River

Hey Folks

Can anyone lay out a sound strategy for the Granicus river battle. I'm playing on hard & I just can't seem to get over that darn river, I know...I suck, but I'd appreciate any advice

Thanks

Default Re: Granicus River

Use your long pike phalanxes to engage their stationary phalanxes, then use your cavalry to run around the phalanx and kill their horsies.

Use your archers and skirmishers to eliminate the horises aswell. All your non-halanx units can be used to rush around and engage their non-phalanx infantry and horsies.

i directed all my infantry plus skirmishers in two directions. (there are only 3 paths you can get on the other side of the river by AFAIK). all my cavalry and Alex himself were concentrated in the third direction. so once your infantry pinned enemy's and cavalry defeated their flank it's free to support your main force charging enemy from the flanks and rear. i noticed that AI is pretty dumb and you can easily catch a unit of spear men reforming or moving to a different position with their spears up the air
    what i wanna know is how to succeed in siege of Halikarnassus

I did fine by just spreading out my attackers to get all parts of the wall to encompass the persians on teh wall

i got screwed because didnt expect Persian archers to have such long range! they started killing my men right after i pressed play button
    so i lost A LOT of troops even before got on top of the wall. once there though it aint a problem to get all, even immortals slaugtered. guess need to get on the wall faster. just curious what is the next battle

btw, did anyone tried Alex's new MP mod? it allows you to not only play 1v1 but 1v2, 2v2, and even 3v1! is it any good?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7&page=1&pp=20
    Check that out, post #18

I will sumarise what i did again though (on VH btw):
    - Sent peltasts to fire at teh cav on the RIGHT crossing only. Also set archers (flaming arrows) to fire at the cav in the right. Alex was near the peltasts so they wouldn't run.
    - After a while (the second perisan army is getting close now) i sent all 3 of my cav units down the right crossing and quickly routed that cav.
    - I sent my cav behind the persian phalanx units and their general engaged and i killed him (obviously the general may not come in your battle).
    - Now i sent my phalagnites over asap (their spears were upright so they could run faster - phalanx ability off). I got everyone over as quick as i could and i smallish battle ensued. I routed a few of their units. The bulk of their army was all near the left crossing now.
    - I knew how important my phalanx units were but in the end they actually did little fighting. They formed a line with eth river at th left flank - phalanx ability back on now.
    - Becuas etheir general was dead they routed at the mere sight of my approaching wall of spears and so i won with minimal fighting.

I think it is obvious that if you do not rout or kill the general then the battle will be a lot harder and will turn out very different.