Thread: King Arthur (plus all expansions)

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default King Arthur (plus all expansions)

I'm tempted to buy it in this sale today. I was wondering though, how is this game with all the expansions? I've always been tempted to get it, i love the imagery and the art of the game, i understand the battles aren't on the levels of Total War but i was just interested.

Any points of views will help

Default Re: King Arthur (plus all expansions)

its a great game. support the devs plus the artist women that worked on the game are hawt!

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyPoopCereal View Post
    its a great game. support the devs plus the artist women that worked on the game are hawt!

How much actual freedom is there in what you do? I remember playing the demo or something and you basically had no choice but to conquer each settlement... but that's just the demo so it might have been a tutorial.

Can you just take over whatever province you want? Like TW games.

Raied's Avatar Tiro

I am tempted to buy it too, I played other game game developed by neocore also called "The king's crusade" which uses the same engine of King Arthur, I like the RPG elements but the battles didnt look so epic, and got bored of it quickly.
    If anyone can convince me here I will buy it, otherwise it is better to wait for King Arthur 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    I am tempted to buy it too, I played other game game developed by neocore also called "The king's crusade" which uses the same engine of King Arthur, I like the RPG elements but the battles didnt look so epic, and got bored of it quickly.
    If anyone can convince me here I will buy it, otherwise it is better to wait for King Arthur 2.
    I just bought it and played through the first few battles -- like you say the battles just seem kind of lame; the units are tiny, and the maps are huge, so you have these little groups of soldiers wandering around this giant map. When they reach the enemy the tiny unit size doesn't leave much room for tactics or positioning -- basically you charge the enemy and they form 'globs' of units battling, without a proper line or flanking as in Total War. And for me the final straw is that game runs soooo poorly (about 20 fps slower than Shogun 2, which is amazing since Shogun looks a million times better...)

That said, there's a lot of very good stuff, especially the hero customization, questing, unit skill advancement etc. It feels like a mix between Heroes of Might & Magic and Total War in some ways. But personally the battles just aren't grabbing me. You might want to wait for the sequel, hopefully they fix these problems.
    Last edited by cherryfunk; December 10, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

Raied's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    I just bought it and played through the first few battles -- like you say the battles just seem kind of lame; the units are tiny, and the maps are huge, so you have these little groups of soldiers wandering around this giant map. When they reach the enemy the tiny unit size doesn't leave much room for tactics or positioning -- basically you charge the enemy and they form 'globs' of units battling, without a proper line or flanking as in Total War. And for me the final straw is that game runs soooo poorly (about 20 fps slower than Shogun 2, which is amazing since Shogun looks a million times better...)

That said, there's a lot of very good stuff, especially the hero customization, questing, unit skill advancement etc. It feels like a mix between Heroes of Might & Magic and Total War in some ways. But personally the battles just aren't grabbing me. You might want to wait for the sequel, hopefully they fix these problems.
    Thanks for the feedback, it seems the game has the same the King's Crusade problem, I prefer to wait for King Arthur 2, and for sure I will try the demo before a purchase.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Just tried the demo to this game for an hour. I really liked the setting and the feel of the game, but the battles don't feel engaging at all. Maybe they're better in the sequel?

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Played the original campaign and I was surprised how good the objects were (multiple choises etc.) Camera controls and strange feeling battles are few downsides tho. Then again, I enjoyed the magic and story greatly. going to play the other 2 campaign and give my opinion about them also. then onto the second game
    Last edited by Hopit; June 09, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

the King arthur DLC fallen champions is quite hard in battles or I am just too lazy to play them xD
    King arthur 2 is... just so much superior to the first game

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Make certain that your computer specs are up to it.

I have King's Crusade and ended up uninstalling it because it ran so poorly.
    I have a Core2Duo 2.66 with an HD5450 card, which isn't a great machine, but it runs Medieval 2 and Empire total war just fine.

Kings Crusade is unplayable on this machine.

Well i ended up getting vanilla King Arthur for free and i didn't enjoy it so figured, i'd save my money on stuff other than the DLC.
    It ran fine on full specs