Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shokh Hates Sieges! (A next level no-fortification mod)

Default Shokh Hates Sieges! (A next level no-fortification mod)

Hate sieges like me? I mean really hate sieges in ETW? Those walls between you and your enemy causing terrible lags and even more terrible AI behaviour?
    Tried other no-fort mods where the pretty city buildings disapear in battle, and the AI is still weird because it still think there ARE walls?

Well, enough is enough...

Shokh Hates Sieges! And you should too!

This simple small mod fully disable the city fortifications for you and the AI. Not like in previous mods where the building time is set to 500 turns or 500000 funds (both things confuse the AI) or mods where the city is replaced with a non existing fort and you have to engage because the AI still thinks there are walls.
    The full slot is disabled and we let the CAI think it is vanilla.
    It will not affect the very few settlement fortifications which are existing at campaign start, but thats all.
    So city battles takes place now in and around a city as it should. Without walls, with buildings.

Version 1.0
    - Deactivate settlement fortification slot, existing fortifications are untouched.

Download: shokh_hates_sieges.zip

Install: Unzip it and just put the file into your data folder. Thats all, no entry in the script.

Later versions will have some other stuff included, but the biggest issue is gone with this first step as the CAI doesn´t like to build forts.

Feedback and bug reports are welcome.

Default Re: Shokh Hates Sieges! (A next level no-fortification mod)

so this only gets rid of city walls....so I can still have my forts yes?

Yes you can still have them, As forts will not builded by the AI normally i let this part as it is if someone like to build them.

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Whoops, sorry, double post.

Computer lagged.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by The Useless Member; June 24, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

You are welcome! I really hate those sieges too.

Quote Originally Posted by shokh View Post
    You are welcome! I really hate those sieges too.
    Hey, suggestion.

You know how useful European buildings are to natives in the warpath campaign?

How is that done? Is it possible to do that will all cultures and just make them have no effect?

Pardon, i don´t really understand what you mean. Can you explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by shokh View Post
    Pardon, i don´t really understand what you mean. Can you explain please?
    When CA made the warpath campaign, they made it so if a different culture captures a region with a building that belongs to the opposite culture, the building currently in the region would be rendered useless.

Examples

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The natives can't use European buildings.

European nations can't use Native buildings.

But... In the grand campaign, you can still use building of different cultures. It still has a purpose. It might not be a positive one, but it still does work. I've sieged a region from the natives before and they were inside forts.

Ah i see now. A thing to be considered for a next version of this little mod.

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Shokh, does this happen to retain the problem of AI standing passive where the fort used to be, provoked to attack me only one-by-one as my army advances?
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Cor De Ferrum's Avatar Ordinarius

Awesome, It really gives you a feel of 'capturing' the settlement, since you physically see the enemy running away from the town. Thanks!

Thanks guys.

@ Monarchist:
    No the AI will act without any limitations/bugs.
    The mod simple deactivate fully the settlement fortification slot. It´s erased.
    So instead of walls you will see the real city buildings.

Outstanding Work as always Shokh. I am saddened to see what few are left to this game, It was so vibrant. Shogun II doesn't interest me in the least. The one Total War series I never got. I hope you see this and are still interested in it. '

What I would like to see is the ability to use all the forts in the game. Major Cities had stone forts or fortifications especially as the 1700's got older, and existing Stone Forts should stay. I know you don't like sieges, and that is fair, but I live with what we have because the alternative (no Forts) is so unrealistic and historically Not an Option. How ever, when game starts in 1700, and lets say you are the British. You go to Ruperts Land one of your colonies, the one at Hudsons Bay. It became one of the biggest Trading Companies and Fort at that time. So starting 1700, You should be able to build the small wooden Fort. As you upgrade your town, the next Wooden Square Fort becomes available, and then the next and so on. Now Maybe Ruperts Land will never be able to build the Biggest Stone Forts, but close. The same for Generals, when he first reaches an Area he wants to build a fort it is small Wooden Stockade, later you can Upgrade to bigger Wooden Foot , and so on and so on. This series of building and upgrading will be more expensive than Vanilla ETW, but utilizing what we have, plus adding more types of forts and models to it. Also as a bigger series of steps from starting forts to finished Vauban Stone Forts, They will be way more expensive and take longer in time, so that when New Stone Forts are made, the Artillery to demolish them will be researched and available as well, Howitzers, Rockets and Mortars. I mean even now 4000 gold for first stone walls is steep, then 10000 for the final well that takes a bit. Total 14000. But lets say Stockade 1500, Wooden Fort, 3000, next 6000, first Stone 12000, and Large Artillery Star Fort 14000 (Vanilla) or 24000. With these 4 or 5 steps it is highly unlikely that Anyone Human or AI will ever create too many, but there will be plenty of Wooden Stockades and Generals Block Houses. This is what we need a Block House for starting Generals Forts.

Hopefully you will see the merit too my idea and like it, or at least consider doing this as my "Make A MOD For You" idea.
    Thanks Shokh again and happy Total Warring to you

Push on, brave York volunteers

Thanks for your input. The mod now handels settlement fortifications, forts can still be built on the map. And i agree we can make it a bit more interesting. There are 3 different types of wooden forts. The stockade, the the jameston fort and normal ones. The only problem is that the smallest forts can cause errors when the garrison army is intercepting an enemy army.
    Will give it a try to check that. But need some time, as i have work for different other projects too atm.

Cheers

Hey that is Great Shokh, at least you listened and were interested, and that's all a fellow can ask. Maybe we should just forget about the smallest one. It could still be done with two wooden and two Stone ?? or is there more of them as well. I just think that the main issue is that its too easy to build the largest Star Forts. Add more forts and stages and it takes way more time and currency, thus really reducing the probability of a large number of them appearing.

Well i think this could be part of Empire Enhanced.

Well I for one will be the first to play your mod with that addition. It sounds like a real winner. Look forward to that. Also how does your mod the way it stands now handle Artillery, Can you get 6 guns per battery. I think I read larger units @300 per.

I know i am almost 2 years late to the party, but... Does this mod work with patch 1.6? Also, can i play with an CAI/BAI mod, or no ( Brans Empire AI )...?

The best way to find out is by installing it, seeing whether it works and if it doesn't, remove it.
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast