Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    If I were in his place I would gather as many people as possible since he doesn't really command intelligent warriors. He knows that the humans have 2 more dragons with one being much larger. He probably knows that a quite big army is gathered inside a citadel down south armed with dragon glass. So, why waste the army he already has there? Ignore Winterfell. Ravage the country to pump up the numbers. Humans won't come out of their castles to attack them on the field. Village by village, town by town, Night King could grow his army to an unstoppable level. Any early engagement with a human army hurts his chances. But, yeah, no hint of that yet.

If what I said happened, Daenerys' army would follow them south. There would be a massive undead army between them and Cersei. One huge sandwich battle. Midway through the slaughter Arya sneaks in in disguise of a wight. Assassinates the Night King. Puff, the army of dead is gone. Daenerys' army faces Cersei's. Two women. One with dragons, the other with large war machines. One with the Unsullied, the other with the Golden Company.
    In this scenario, it would be Jon and Arya that fights the Night King. Epic battle ensues in the background. Jon tells Daenerys to command her army, the it was his fight to face the Night King, not hers. Jon flies off riding Rhaegal. He picks up Arya though. The two ride together to face the Night King riding undead Viserion. Epic battle continues. After a bunch of sweeps Arya tells Jon to throw her at Viserion. She uses the new weapon she had built to strike the Night King.
    The Armenian Issue

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

yeah, why does the new dumbo look like a white walker?

still mystified about the elephants. if you dont have the budget, why even bring them up? way to look stupid by pandering badly to ppl who have read the books. cause, ya know, who else would even know about them. lord jeebus, who just hit the bucket again, spare us from writers being "clever".

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Elephants were used by Hannibal anyway. The narrow sea seems to be... narrow... at points, so i think it was more an issue of narrow budget sea, yes
    Show writers are terrible, that much is known. Next to them GRRM looks highly refined.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I just want to say that the previous page is full of Charlie Sheen levels of winning and excellent memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I just want to say that the previous page is full of Charlie Sheen levels of winning and excellent memes.

Yea really...you just...missed one thing for yours...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

^ I genuinely cannot tell if the dragon is smiling in that scene or giving a look of disapproval. Perhaps it's simply one of curiosity. Hard to tell with a big lizard. It could simply be Bran warging into it to be creepy. He's crippled, after all, so perhaps he likes to watch.

In other news, this guy over at Reddit raises a good point, but personally I don't think this is how Tyrion goes down:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...tyrion_fooked/

Also, this one is glorious:

I have literally no idea how to twist that meme. Like, no matter how you screw with Korean politics, it don't work with this story.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

NK = Night King = North Korea. It's admittedly a dumb play on words or in this case abbreviations, but it's effective.

The rest...
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have to agree with Gaidin on this :o

Actually i was mostly puzzled by NK (night king/north korea) being placed in between wintefell and the south ^_^
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

They're uniting to fight the common enemy, you guys. I didn't make the meme, don't look at me!

Happy Easter everyone!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co...dered_her_you/

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Show writers are terrible, that much is known. Next to them GRRM looks highly refined.
    Got it you hate the show but they can actually finish a project... no matter how I like your first 50% (?) of a paper failing to produce the rest is an F.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

well, this isnt an exam, a writer has no contract with his audience, so please sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    well, this isnt an exam, a writer has no contract with his audience, so please sit down.
    GRRM and D&D: "You either win the Game of Thrones exam...or you die!"

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Got it you hate the show but they can actually finish a project... no matter how I like your first 50% (?) of a paper failing to produce the rest is an F.
    Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    Well, odds are GRRM got an advance for Winds of Winter. And he's still getting royalties for all the other SoIaF books. But he's not getting jack for Winds of Winter until it's published. But here's the thing. Do you think HBO didn't pay him for all the advising he did? Nevermind both GRRM and TOR probably got a chunk from HBO for letting them use Game of Thrones so...TOR, while they'd love to have Winds of Winter, and so would the fans. They were happy to have their pockets lined.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 21, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I don't think Martin will ever publish his next book - and iirc he still in theory has two to finish the series

I don't find Martin to be a good writer, i read a couple of chapters of Asoiaf (the first ones) and bits shown here from time to time. That said, no writer would be in an easy position if there was a massive show ongoing which already had more viewers than the book has readers and already changed the book plot. Martin probably will keep publishing secondary stuff, until he collapses from over-eating and drowns in a pool of his own vomit.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; April 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Well, odds are GRRM got an advance for Winds of Winter. And he's still getting royalties for all the other SoIaF books. But he's not getting jack for Winds of Winter until it's published. But here's the thing. Do you think HBO didn't pay him for all the advising he did? Nevermind both GRRM and TOR probably got a chunk from HBO for letting them use Game of Thrones so...TOR, while they'd love to have Winds of Winter, and so would the fans. They were happy to have their pockets lined.
    I would agree the royalties are there and knock off thinks like say an atlas as well. That breeds inertia. I still think the real problem is that he got addicted to sprawl and did really have an effective back story behind it beforehand. The POV system starts to crack when everyone is spread out too much. Second once HBO finishes their version will there be any incentive to actually write more books at all? At least in that story arc. As I said I still think his style was better suited to the Norton approach. Separate 2 or 3 book stories and a lot one off novels. Sure the first one has to carry the a lot world building weight but after... One book on say Bron's world, One on where Arya or Sansa end up, A nights watch set of books etc.

and iirc he still in theory has two to finish the series
    Got my doubts by adding fake or real Targ boy and the Golden company to him it seems unlikely everything can be resolved in 2 books. Sansa book wise is still in slow mo in the vale. The North is in limbo via sample chapter. Aryra might have cut herself loose but as a viable main charterer would have finder her wolf and her pack to be viable... I mean really there are so many hanging threads I could go on about its hard to see 2 books wrap them unless that are even longer than their predecessors. I would not disagree that coronary heart issues ends the books
    Last edited by conon394; April 21, 2019 at 11:33 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

If Martin eventually does release Winds of Winter, as I've said before, he's doing so for marketing reasons ("see how much my ending differs from the show!") or because he's just legitimately lazy and financially content. Alternatively, he's doing it to undermine and spite D&D, leaving them empty-handed in regards to material for the final season.

In other news, tonight's episode 2 has already linked online! Needless to say, I'm going to stay away from /r/Freefolk for a while to avoid the spoilers. I'd rather just watch the episode regularly on a big screen in better quality and with HBO than some spurious underground streaming service that's probably crap compared to what I can see on 4K.

I doubt the ending is different. You'll probably have a few points differing. A few characters shifted around for tv logistical reasons(see Sansa). But something as broadly important as the ending at large? I'm willing to bet they're in line with each other.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hm, to say that ep2 was complete filler would be an understatement.
    (of course going by what Bran tells me, and he also referred to a moment of absolute cringe).