Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    If the s kill off Ghost I'm going to be seriously pissed. We only see him at the head of a dead Jon Snow when Davos draws Longclaw at 1:35, and he's not moving.
    I think the knight behind draws his sword cause ghost is about to attack Davos, so i fear Davos will be killed. Which is just another cheap shot, as was having this in the trailer, and at the final second

Infact, i am sadly pretty sure Davos will be harmed by ghost. And apparently in the first episode. Awesome writing
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. There could be a disagreement with the Nights Watch that require swords being drawn.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; March 08, 2016 at 08:05 PM.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. There could be a disagreement with the Nights Watch that require swords being drawn.
    Well, he is the Onion Knight...perhaps they just got a shipment of really big onions and he needs a suitable blade for the task of cleaving them in two before peeling them.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Tower of Joy : 3
    Probably, he seems to be fighting northmen to boot.

I'm fairly certain Davos is either talking to Jon Snow's body or the wolf and he's going to take down the Night's watch guys. He wouldn't be talking to the night's watch guys behind him saying"I was never much of a fighter." if he was just going to kill the wolf.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

The rest of the guards had heavy armor in that scene, iirc. Besides, it makes zero sense that Syrio would be killed by Trant. It is just stupid.
    Why? What says Syrio is awesome with every weapon in any situation? What do we know he was once the 1st sword of Bravos, but not anymore and 10 years gone. In addition by his own admission their were others "Other men were stronger, faster, younger, why was Syrio Forel the best?" He asset has proceeds tell was his skill at observation. Also of course being great at one thing does make one great at all things. Sure he could maybe he might have got a sword but of what balance and quality, and now also a weapon he surly is not likely practiced in.

I played pond hockey in the winter growing up I can still skate rather effortlessly - even backward (I played defense all the time). But I looked like a fool on roller blades when I tried them.

In any case we never see him die.

Also he was playing for time, he made the decision to be loyal servant of the Stark's over just a mercenary. But Aryra made good her escape on her own when she realized the situation. Suppose Syrio did as well. He would be a marked man - a dead man walking nothing but to try to hide and then move along.

All in all there are very few situations where you confidently say the game done before it starts... Outside of maybe a random pick at a charity chess tournament where you get Bobby Fischer (at his peak) and the thus the only possible move to open is to simply turn your king on its side (even if you are a Master or Expert). I suppose if you were a grand master it might be worth the time to see if can play for stalemate and or hope he gets annoyed at the surroundings and leaves.
    Last edited by conon394; March 09, 2016 at 03:06 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The rest of the guards had heavy armor in that scene, iirc. Besides, it makes zero sense that Syrio would be killed by Trant. It is just stupid.

The unrealistic thing there is the Lannister guys being affected by his wooden stick, not him getting killed. A wooden sword simply wouldn't do anything to stop a guy in full body armor, maybe some superficial bruising at best. He can be as good a swordmaster as he wants, simple physics makes them walk and gets him killed. Not even a sharp sword would be much of an assurance in such a fight.

Same with Barristan Selmy. Just because you are an awesome swordfighter doesn't make you magically survive a brawl against thugs in an alleyway. He took down a lot of guys. Again, in realistic terms he probably was shown overpowered. Two or three guys teaming up and having some penchant for violence would be enough to take about anyone down regardless of skill advantage. You can't beat simple physics.
    Last edited by Mangalore; March 09, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    I'm fairly certain Davos is either talking to Jon Snow's body or the wolf and he's going to take down the Night's watch guys. He wouldn't be talking to the night's watch guys behind him saying"I was never much of a fighter." if he was just going to kill the wolf.
    I think he was about to decapitate Snow, due to the zombie-prevention thing, no? The NW already know of that first hand. At least in the previous frame ghost is not there for certain, so i imagine ghost jumps Davos to prevent the decapitation of Snow.

Moreover, it is way too bizarre to have the scene in the absolute end of the trailer, if it just results in some nobody NW being killed.

Edit: And Ghost is not dead, he moves a bit between 1.34 and 1.35.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; March 09, 2016 at 03:16 PM.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Praeses

I'm imaging he's asked to kill JS and winks at Ghost then they both attack the Nights Watch betrayers. Of course Ghost is being warged by (plot twist) Eddard who survived warged into a crow at KL. "Ruff ruff yourself, ruff ruff is ruffing".

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post

In any case we never see him die.

Also he was playing for time, he made the decision to be loyal servant of the Stark's over just a mercenary. But Aryra made good her escape on her own when she realized the situation. Suppose Syrio did as well. He would be a marked man - a dead man walking nothing but to try to hide and then move along.
    That's a fair observation. The Red Keep had plenty of exits for short people.

I agree Trant should take him out if they stick around. He's part of Arryn's kingsguard, not Cersei's so he's a swordsman not a political choice as such. I'd say he's not completely out of the ballpark with the Kingslayer and Selmy (in the bleachers not on the mound but still). He's a knight with a knight's equipment. Several times he is insulted as slow or beateable but his opponents have emotional reasons for doing so (the Hound hates everyone and Syrio is trying to bait him).

If Syrio wants to save Arya he has to give her time. Leaping out a window to safety save shim not her. I think his sacrifice is clearly implied.

The notion that a faceless man Forell slew Trant and replaced him is shark-jumping stuff to me.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

There isn't anyone in that room to whom Davos would be meaningfully apologising. If there was, i could sort of accept as 'plausible' that he saw through whatever garbage those two NWs said, and wanted to kill them, although it isn't in character. Besides, he obviously has far fewer men of his than the hundred or so NW, so i doubt he is about to start a fight to take Castle Black and punish Snow's killers.

I fear he will just die, by Ghost most likely. Ok, there is a small chance that ghost attacks the NW who was about to attack Davos, but for that to happen he would have had to be asked to hand over his sword. I am sure he would be left to say a catch-phrase while holding his sword next to the guard :p

Either way, this is another crap scene which should not have been in the trailer, and going by the history of the two directors, it may be utterly intentionally misleading, which is even worse.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

After seeing it more than once now and reading through a few frame breakdowns I think it's pretty clear that Davos, Ghost and the Night Watch guys present in the room are all on the same side and preparing for Allister and the TR-8Rs who are trying to breach the door. Why else would the Night's Watchmen allow Davos to pick up Jon's sword and draw it?

I think the trailer is interesting (and I like the sound effects and choice of scenes), but it goes much too fast. Too many scenes crammed into too little time. A common problem with trailers, and sometimes entire movies, for the last fifteen or so years. Should've used the same material and made it 2:30 or 3 minutes instead. I mean, it's a lot of scenes ripped out of context, so it'd still be ambiguous even if you could actually see what happened. A movie trailer shouldn't cause headaches or epileptic seizures.

he most famous duel Miyamoto Musashi fought while on his musha shugyo was against Sasaki Kojiro in 1612, who at the time was the Shogun’s martial arts teacher and the most feared and respected warrior in the land. Kojiro was seen as the ideal warrior who looked and acted the part of the samurai as laid out in the bushido code to a tee.

Musashi on the other hand was the complete opposite who was less concerned with his image or how society perceived him and more concerned with beating anyone who faced him in battle. The two agreed to meet on an island and unsurprisingly Kojiro turned up in a timely manner, sporting the best clothes and swords money could buy.

Musashi however made his opponent wait knowing that his turning up late would anger him, thus having a negative effect on his concentration and focus; Kojiro’s anger would have only increased when his opponent did finally arrive sporting his usual dirty rags instead of attire befitting a man of their social class.

Kojiro had his swords made just a little longer than the average sword length to give himself reach advantage over his opponents however it seems Musashi knew this and devised a strategy to combat it. It is believed that he fought with a bokken that he fashioned out of an oar on the boat ride to the island, making it longer than his opponent’s sword in order to beat him at his own game.

When the fight began, the two moved to attack simultaneously and Musashi’s reach advantage showed through from the start as while Kojiro managed to cut a nick in Musashi’s clothes, he himself was cut in the head. The two great samurai warriors moved towards each other for a second attack and once again Kojiro could only cut his opponent’s clothes while the extra few inches of the bokken allowed Musashi to cut his opponent’s throat, killing him instantly. In other versions of the story, Musashi uses two sticks to defeat his enemy and in others still he wins the fight with two swords (as depicted below).
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Yup. He takes Jon Snow's sword. Just when he unsheathes the sword the Nights Watch guys start doing it in defense mode.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I think he was about to decapitate Snow, due to the zombie-prevention thing, no? The NW already know of that first hand. At least in the previous frame ghost is not there for certain, so i imagine ghost jumps Davos to prevent the decapitation of Snow.

Moreover, it is way too bizarre to have the scene in the absolute end of the trailer, if it just results in some nobody NW being killed.

Edit: And Ghost is not dead, he moves a bit between 1.34 and 1.35.
    Why would he say "I'm not much of a fighter" if he was going to behead a dead person?

Ok, yet why would he say that if he was about to duel some random NWer?

(although i agree we discussed this way too much already, and i dislike the writers of the show )

After seeing it more than once now and reading through a few frame breakdowns I think it's pretty clear that Davos, Ghost and the Night Watch guys present in the room are all on the same side and preparing for Allister and the TR-8Rs who are trying to breach the door. Why else would the Night's Watchmen allow Davos to pick up Jon's sword and draw it?
    Ah didn't see this, great point.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well considering how much fighting has happened amongst the night watch away from the eyes of others its not that hard to believe that Davos might be trying to secure the body of Jon and fights just those two nightwatchmen for it with Ghost.

I believe we see Melissandre speak to Davos about how she failed so they may be working together, Davos securing the body so she can revive him.

Fairly certain lolIsuck is right. There's a scene with Allister and Co. breaking down a door, and it would make sense then that those other two are drawing their swords with Davos instead of against him.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

A second thoery would be that
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    the sub-zero army is invading
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!