Page 6 of 527 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: GAME OF THRONES - Season 3( May Contain Spoilers )

Hold on, they got the guy who played Brutus in Rome? That guy was really good!

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Quote Originally Posted by EireEmerald View Post

Yeah I loved Dillane too.
    I thought Dillane was a pretty bad Stannis.

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

There ye go buddy! Ye see?? Just imagine it!
    Holy cats Emerald, you always brighten my ever-darkened mood. I'll let Menzies slide - for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavosSeaworth View Post
    Only thing is I wish they had portrayed the depths of poverty stannis raised me from so the audience would understand my devotion.
    Dude... this is just weird.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    Holy cats Emerald, you always brighten my ever-darkened mood. I'll let Menzies slide - for now.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by DavosSeaworth View Post
    I for one thought the whole court of the king in the narrow sea was spot on. Only thing is I wish they had portrayed the depths of poverty stannis raised me from so the audience would understand my devotion. Also, Stephen dillane as stannis was brilliant.

Oh you inter-dimensional, fantastical, morally obliged character from the series I love so much. How'd you find your way on the internet Davos? Assuming you die at some point, did your ghost inhabit the internet?
    Last edited by EireEmerald; July 16, 2012 at 03:30 PM.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, Ramsay Bolton.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/iw...me-of-thrones/

Peh, I am not scared.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Bleh
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Seems ok, will have to see him in action.

shadepanther's Avatar Senator

A story with video which includes a scene with Brienne and Jamie

http://www.u.tv/Entertainment/Game-o...b-a9fc6d016d08

Some pictures for Season 2 from the local news channel.

http://www.u.tv/galleries/Game-of-Th...a8694cf#204223
    Last edited by shadepanther; July 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, Ramsay Bolton.

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/iw...me-of-thrones/

I could see it. We'll see how he is in action.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by white-wolf View Post
    Peh, I am not scared.
    Ramsay was never described as being intimidating physically. Neither is Roose Bolton.
    That's not why people fear them at all.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Pffttt Edmure and the Blackfish...and even Hoster Tully should have all made an appearance in the first season. Shireen and Ramsay should have been seen in Season 2 as well.
    I'm enjoying the books more than I'm enjoying the series. I'm afraid that with all the action going on in A Storm of Swords, Season 3 is going to have a lot of big parts cut out due to budget restrains.

But anyway, not looking forward to the (spoilers) Red Wedding (spoilers) being visualised at all :'(
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

But when you think about it, there's only like two battles in ASOS : The battle of the Wall and the RW.

Even Dany's conquest of the Slaver's Bay. The taking of Astapor was more like a urban fight where the Astapori were quickly subjugated, the battle against the Yunkai army occured "offscreen" and it only shows the aftermath of the siege of Meeren. The fact that this season is gonna be split in two parts helps a lot too, so budget won't be that much of a problem.

I was a bit disappointed with Blackwater now they have a chance to redeem themselves with the battle of the Wall.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    But when you think about it, there's only like two battles in ASOS : The battle of the Wall and the RW.

Even Dany's conquest of the Slaver's Bay. The taking of Astapor was more like a urban fight where the Astapori were quickly subjugated, the battle against the Yunkai army occured "offscreen" and it only shows the aftermath of the siege of Meeren. The fact that this season is gonna be split in two parts helps a lot too, so budget won't be that much of a problem.

I was a bit disappointed with Blackwater now they have a chance to redeem themselves with the battle of the Wall.

Oh I heard from a friend that Season 3 is going to have Books 1 and 2 together from ASOS. If Season 3 = Book 1 and Season 4 = Book 2, then I don't have any worries.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post

If you were dissapointed with the Blackwater then you will never be happy.

buddy...

Do you work for the show in some way?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Ok, without looking at any spoilers I came to this thread to give my opinion.

I'm currently reading the books and I'm about half way through the second book. As I read, I go on to Youtube and look up scenes of the chapters I just read from the TV show. The further I read, and the further the series goes on the more crap it seems to get. I mean really, to me the TV series looks terrible. Some scenes I've watched are fine, like the scene where Tyrion is captured by Catelyn did give me goosebumps, not as much as the book but still. However, the majority of the scenes I've looked are bloody awful.

For starters, a large amount of scenes are terribly unlike the book and some just seem totally made up. Like the scene where Eddard Stark breaks his leg, what was that? Only Jaime is on a horse and it's not even, at the least, raining. Or night time for that matter.

At times I find the acting dire at times. And I feel some of the actors don't suit their characters at all (Stephan Dillane as Stannis). Most of the main characters from the first season are great but some just seem totally wrong (Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy? What the.....)

And I know it probably has something to do with budget but some of the scenes just seem very uninspiring after you've read them in the book. It's quite obvious that they are small, it's not hidden well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Ok, without looking at any spoilers I came to this thread to give my opinion.

I'm currently reading the books and I'm about half way through the second book. As I read, I go on to Youtube and look up scenes of the chapters I just read from the TV show. The further I read, and the further the series goes on the more crap it seems to get. I mean really, to me the TV series looks terrible. ...
    That's because you have the scenes fresh in your head and expect them to visualize your imagination which they can't. My memories are far more fuzzy and thus I can enjoy the show as an independant narration of the same source material and also can accept that nothing looks like I imagined.

For starters, a large amount of scenes are terribly unlike the book and some just seem totally made up. Like the scene where Eddard Stark breaks his leg, what was that? Only Jaime is on a horse and it's not even, at the least, raining. Or night time for that matter.
    Oh, gee. They rewrote stuff. Surprise. It's what screenwriters do for many, varied reasons. Sure, there are some bad reasons but that a night shot in the rain is converted to a confrontation in daylight is not really one of them as that wasn't the gist of it in the books at all.

At times I find the acting dire at times. And I feel some of the actors don't suit their characters at all (Stephan Dillane as Stannis). Most of the main characters from the first season are great but some just seem totally wrong (Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy? What the.....)
    I don't get the character complaints at all. Your Theon Greyjoy from the books will never look like my Theon Greyjoy and will never look like the Theon 100s of other people have in their head when reading. I overall like the characters because I see them as being interpretations of the books and hey, I sometimes imagine characters with a completely wrong hair color even if the author underlines it two to three times that this is not their hair color. Why? Because in my head the guy or gal with the other hair color seemed to fit the character description better until the author starting going on a rant that the hair is blonde, not brown. Tough luck if my visualization is about a brown haired dude. I mean that Edmure picture like nothing I imagine Edmure to look like except reddish hair.

so far I actually like pretty much all characters in the show. Are they like the ones in the books? No. But they behave consistent and in the same drive as in the books. So Asha isn't hot. I like that because she looks normal and tough as nails character wise. Might not suit the book description, still fits the story.

And I know it probably has something to do with budget but some of the scenes just seem very uninspiring after you've read them in the book. It's quite obvious that they are small, it's not hidden well at all.
    I know everyone is entitled to his opionion but your opinion is WRONG!
    Seriously people, this is one of the highest budget TV shows on the networks and it is still minuscle compared to flops like John Carter while having to film several times more footage per season.

If you want to know how TV shows fared when they didn't even get that much budget just check out book conversions to TV in the 70s - 90s. What we see from HBO, Showtime and the like are quantum leaps in comparison but when even triple A titles in Hollywood barely manage to keep the visualization top notch you are expecting a wee bit too much from a TV crew.

For the scope they have to cover they are doing pretty fine and maybe toning it down to medieval standards (aka everything is smaller than written) is not a bad idea per se either.

I like how they give every region its cultural feel (very expensive), think up spectacular location to at least catch the mood in absence of props (still very expensive) and at least try to cover enough of the characters (even more expensive).
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

If you were dissapointed with the Blackwater then you will never be happy.

buddy...
    In terms of writing and pacing, it was perfect. In a technical point of view, however... it was a very poor battle ( there were like what, like 20 guys fighting in the beach? ). It's still my favorite GOT episode, though.

Oh I heard from a friend that Season 3 is going to have Books 1 and 2 together from ASOS. If Season 3 = Book 1 and Season 4 = Book 2, then I don't have any worries.

I'm pretty sure its two seasons...

I thought Alfie is perfect as Theon.

Well TBH I think that , in terms of appearance, most of the characters were perfectly casted. Ned, Bran, Sansa, Arya, Tywin Sandor, Robert, Jaime, Jorah, Varys, Pycelle, all of them look like they walked out from the books. All of them with great acting, too.

But I agree about Stannis. He doesn't matches the description too much and Dillane acting is pretty poor.

Stannis and Tywin are the only two characters with bad acting , IMO.
    Last edited by beckyolt; July 28, 2012 at 08:01 PM.

Jorah perfectly cast appearance wise? Jorah of the books is supposed to be bald stocky and hairy all over and generally a bit repugnant. Robert's actor was great and overshadowed Addy not being big enough(the Baratheons were all supposed to be large men, even Renley) Tywin dude should have shaved his head.