Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Praeses

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Ugh, vampire movies. I wish someone had the courage to make a historically accurate movie about Vlad the Impaler without any of that supernatural and occult crap. Would be so much better anyway.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141966/

OK so its Soviet era Rumanian propaganda.

Massive Spoiler Alert
    There's a nice scene where after they kill all the Turks they do a little dance.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Dracula the vampire needs a serious update anyway. They shouldn't really bother at all with the historical Vlad other than exposition, preferably starring Michael Fassbender ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Dracula the vampire needs a serious update anyway. They shouldn't really bother at all with the historical Vlad other than exposition, preferably starring Michael Fassbender ^_^
    Yeah, more quality vampire stuff is exactly what the movie industry and the world need right now. Just remember to throw in some zombies, Nazis, evil Russians who're played by non-Russians with bad accents, and a superhero or two. Brilliant idea.

Praeses

Yeah, more quality vampire stuff is exactly what the movie industry and the world need right now. Just remember to throw in some zombies, Nazis, evil Russians who're played by non-Russians with bad accents, and a superhero or two. Brilliant idea.
    Well that's how season six is panning out. I mean if we can agree the Dothraki are Russian, sort of. Brutal steppe dwellers: check, bad accents: check. Cersei is the Nazis (blonde and crazy), Tyrion is the "good German", Danerys is the superhero...but who are the zombies?

Jk. Obviously Jon Snow is.

That leaves the Red Witch as a sort-of vampire. Well she births shadow assassins from her ladyparts, that's some weird Anne Rice if ever I heard any. Honorary vampire, she has the neckline for it too.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I'm under the impression you thought I was attacking you, relax I wasn't. I said Dracula the vampire and I'm being serious, Bram Stoker's Dracula needs an update without rehashing the previous movies and putting so much enfasis on how he became the Vampire. Preferably with Michael Fassbender.
    Last edited by saxdude; July 15, 2016 at 06:26 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Sammy L Jackson gives you a Game of Thrones recap

Small spoiler warning: Mature language aka Sammy L Jackson:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141966/

OK so its Soviet era Rumanian propaganda.

Massive Spoiler Alert
    There's a nice scene where after they kill all the Turks they do a little dance.
    Actually there is very little propaganda in that film, aside for one or two mandatory scenes where he says he fights for the people and , those were needed to for the movie to be approved and I do believe they are cut out of dvd editions
    That and Michael the brave are probably the most communism free movies produced in a communist country (unless you count Napoleon Bonaparte)
    Last edited by Mangalore; July 16, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

It's a goddamn travesty that Ramin Djawadi didn't get an emmy nomination for Light of the Seven.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    Sammy L Jackson gives you a Game of Thrones recap

Spoiler warning: Mature language aka Sammy L Jackson:

I think Peter Weller and Christopher Walken should team up with Samuel L. Jackon and just narrate everything. And by everything I mean everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    It's a goddamn travesty that Ramin Djawadi didn't get an emmy nomination for Light of the Seven.
    Just another colossal boneheaded ommission by the Emmy's in their long and storied history of epic boneheaded decisions.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Ugh, vampire movies. I wish someone had the courage to make a historically accurate movie about Vlad the Impaler without any of that supernatural and occult crap. Would be so much better anyway.
    Outside of a small independent film - who cares. A petty regional ruler who archived more or less nothing and was cruel - give me the tag line. Watch as Vlad fails, watch as he is needless cruel and treacherous, watch as he archives no significant cultural or educational or scientific achievements, watch as he gets an F at negotiating local politics. That is what I by books for. It not really movie food.

If done well what is with mythology any way.

-----

I said Dracula the vampire and I'm being serious, Bram Stoker's Dracula needs an update without rehashing the previous movies and putting so much enfasis on how he became the Vampire. Preferably with Michael Fassbender.
    Actually there a couple sources for that in Stoker's own mostly unpublished works. But I would say try and find Count Yorga. OK so it low budget and 1970 -ish. so you get bad music but with a lot of T&A. However its a good re working of the Stoker story...

Spoilers

Basically the same story but the end game is awesome in its diversion. So Yorga - is effectively Dracula - moves to California (circa 1970) and does all the typical things. There is a 'Mina' and her female friend and a band of three heroes who are supposed save the two - one a doctor who believes the unreality of the situation and a fair haired jock who should be the savior etc. But in the end Yorga's arrogance gets him offed but same for the doctor - so both dead. The existing vampire wives/vampires are cautious and so don't die - its clearly implied they don't like being slaves so don't help earlier - they only act to prevent their discovery. And the Mina character seems rather cheerful at being a vampire (done willingly) and kills the last hero... All and all it is odd movie one out Europe has a ton of nudity but also kind of feminist if you will - the female vampires essentially choose not to saved by men or be dominated by Yorga (a man)

Although to much more vampire posting will likely earn an OT posting knuckle rap
    Last edited by conon394; July 16, 2016 at 10:32 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

question is - Will book 6 come out before season 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    question is - Will book 6 come out before season 8?
    Who cares. They're doing a pretty decent job with just the high points given by Martin. And the tv shows always have to insert asides to get certain points across that the book just needed "character thoughts" to do the same for. You need only watch The Expanse to catch the same drift for the first half of Leviathan Wakes.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

Pretty sure a lot of people care.

books sales are going to take a hit due to the ending being spoiled. The question is if Martin cares any more.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Who cares. They're doing a pretty decent job with just the high points given by Martin. And the tv shows always have to insert asides to get certain points across that the book just needed "character thoughts" to do the same for. You need only watch The Expanse to catch the same drift for the first half of Leviathan Wakes.
    A lot of people care. This show needed at least ten seasons to actually do justice to the final two books but it seems like the show runners are eager to get it over with. Probably so they can go on to be irrlevant again kind of like Terrence winter and Stephen deKnight.

also not sure if anyone else here saw, but the show is being pushed back to a june-july 2017 release due to "weather constraints"

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

books sales are going to take a hit due to the ending being spoiled. The question is if Martin cares any more.
    it might some, but I think there will still be 5-10x more sales than ADWD as the series has gotten much more popular since the show release. Its hard to believe its already been 4 years since I bought the last book.
    Last edited by RedGuard; August 01, 2016 at 12:54 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Isn't it really 1,5 seasons left? Iirc they spoke of having (up to) 7 eps for each of the two final seasons.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

^ yeah its actually more like 1.2 seasons left as season 7 will be 7 episodes and 8 will be 6. Which means the story will be sped up beyond all recognition. It will have to be.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I think 8 seasons is entirely reasonable, actually, considering how much the younger cast is ageing (and it really shows after six seasons).

Citizen

The short seasons kind of tell me that there is not really any more grand twists left. Theres not much more fight left in westeros. Next season probably going to be the establishment of Jon and Dany and the downfall of Cercei and Euron. And then the last season is going to be all about the WWW. (White-walker war)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

They don't need anyone else to kill all the bad guys, cause Arya can just kill 2-3 each episode
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Season Nine:

Game of Thrones: Cylon Attack

We discover that civilization reestablished itself on Caprica.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.