Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

^ "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roma_Victrix again."
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Blue ones.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Soothsayer's Avatar Campidoctor

I was bored last night and decided to figure out how the world would look up on the globe.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Makes sense :o

Maybe the new economy should be based on steel, given we actually have raw materials for that.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post

I was bored last night and decided to figure out how the world would look up on the globe.
    What's the green blob above essos? Also, the lands of always winter are at the equator. Cause magic.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Ibben. Land of fishermen.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Ibben

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Since when is ibben a gigantic archipelago that's too far west from where every other map ive seen shows it?
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    Since when is ibben a gigantic archipelago that's too far west from where every other map ive seen shows it?
    I think you should ignore the thumbnail. A map of Europe is superimposed on the Essos map for Size comparison. The island is unusually placed but there is no archipelago
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Yeah that's just the outline of Europe. Ibben is a bit far North-West though.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Theon Greyjoy's new motto: "What is chopped may never rise" (courtesy Reddit).

Also, I present to you, Michaegar Fassbaryen (also courtesy Reddit).

From what it looks, Ibben is sort of like Iceland. I tried to place everything near what look geographically similar like north of the wall with Greenland.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Perhaps we should create a thread for the discussion of the content of the books, no? I know I'd like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chet Manley View Post
    Perhaps we should create a thread for the discussion of the content of the books, no? I know I'd like it.
    Speaking of the novels, where does silk and silkworm breeding originate from in the book? In real life the practice of making silk started in ancient China and spread from there after the first few centuries AD (with the Eastern Roman Byzantines producing silk by the 6th century). Did silk originate from the ASOIF equivalent of China in the books, the lands of Yi Ti? Or someplace else? I looked online and all I could find was something about the Island of Naath. It seems like silk is everywhere in the books, from Qarth to King's Landing.

I'm not a climate expert, but I do have a good understanding of what factors decide such things. During the summer, King's Landing is probably like Melbourne, Australia and Dragonstone like Cape Barren Island near Tasmania. Dorne is a desert because the Dornish marches creates a rain shadow and it's located in the horse latitudes (near 30 degrees in latitude). Sunspear is like Cabo San Lucas in Baja California. High Garden is probably like Los Angeles. Lannisport/Casterly Rock is on the western side of the continent so it's akind to the Pacific coast areas like San Francisco and Eureka, California. It could also be like Valdivia in Chile. The Westerlands are most likely the rainiest areas in Westeros. The Iron Islands are probably closest to the Chilean archipelago around 45 degrees south . The Eyrie is probably like the mountains of New Zealand, capitol being like Queenstown in South Island but it matters on the actual elevation. The Riverlands/The Neck are very low so probably like England except warmer and muggy. The North's heartland is humid continental, so Winterfell like that of Grand Prairie, Alberta or Oslo, Norway except less ocean moderation. Castle Black is hard but I would say it would be a subarctic like that of Northwest Territories in upper Canada or Scandinavian highlands. Hardhome is tundra like the eastern coast of Greenland while the Land of Always Winter is an ice cap like that of inland Greenland. As Essos goes, Braavos is Invercagill, New Zealand or Brest, France with a heavy ocean moderation. Other Free Cities are meditteranean like Italy and North Africa. Volantis and Old Valyria are probably like Canary Islands and Southwestern Australia(Old Valyria might have some rezidue from what ever happened that causes a more temperate climate). Mereen is like Beirut, infact the the whole Slavers Bay area is probably a lot like the Levant. The Dothraki Sea is a hot to cool Steppe much like the southern Great Plains, like Abilene, Texas. Quarth is coastal Yemen like at Aden.
    Last edited by Soothsayer; July 03, 2015 at 09:10 PM.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
    I'm not a climate expert, but I do have a good understanding of what factors decide such things. During the summer, King's Landing is probably like Melbourne, Australia and Dragonstone like Cape Barren Island near Tasmania. Dorne is a desert because the Dornish marches creates a rain shadow and it's located in the horse latitudes (near 30 degrees in latitude). Sunspear is like Cabo San Lucas in Baja California. High Garden is probably like Los Angeles. Lannisport/Casterly Rock is on the western side of the continent so it's akind to the Pacific coast areas like San Francisco and Eureka, California. It could also be like Valdivia in Chile. The Westerlands are most likely the rainiest areas in Westeros. The Iron Islands are probably closest to the Chilean archipelago around 45 degrees south . The Eyrie is probably like the mountains of New Zealand, capitol being like Queenstown in South Island but it matters on the actual elevation. The Riverlands/The Neck are very low so probably like England except warmer and muggy. The North's heartland is humid continental, so Winterfell like that of Grand Prairie, Alberta or Oslo, Norway except less ocean moderation. Castle Black is hard but I would say it would be a subarctic like that of Northwest Territories in upper Canada or Scandinavian highlands. Hardhome is tundra like the eastern coast of Greenland while the Land of Always Winter is an ice Cap like that of inland Greenland. As Essos goes, Braavos is Invercagill, New Zealand or Brest, France with a heavy ocean moderation. Other Free Cities are meditteranean like Italy and North Africa. Volantis and Old Valyria are probably like Canary Islands and Southwestern Australia(Old Valyria might have some rezidue from what ever happened that causes a more temperate climate). Mereen is like Beirut, infact the the whole Slavers Bay area is probably a lot like the Levant. The Dothraki Sea is a hot to cool Steppe much like the southern Great Plains, like Abilene, Texas. Quarth is coastal Yemen like at Aden.

You've really put a lot of thought into this.

I'm studying to be a meteorologist so stuff like this always intrigues.
    I WON THIS BATTLE!

Last edited by Aikanár; July 04, 2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: censor bypass in the title, please don't embed

You guys know why they really killed Jon Snow, right?

For the watch.

I mean, it is a nice one. Seems reasonable to murder the guy for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I wonder how Danny will spin it this time. To her credit, she's not so bad at exacting revenge, but too inexperienced to know how to manage an unwieldy metropolis containing a large insurrectionist element within the walls.
    She should just leave the city with her army, set taxes to very high and let it revolt. Then recapture it and exterminate for happy populace + loads of money

Basic leadership 101

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Ships dany? Just move your dothraki horde and unsullied into the sea and ships appear out of nowhere.

Also first ting you do is tearing down the temples that spreads another culture to yours, duh. No wonder she gets revolts n00b.

Also remember to click the phalanx button on the unsullied. Its there for a reason.

I know you realized a high dread is better than a high chivalry. But you do a bit of both and you end up with nothing.