Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by the new username View Post
    Stannis burning his own daughter and only heir just because the red told him to do so doesn't make a grain of sense to me, specially after that scene when he hugs shireen
    What happened to the books stannis who told his men to pray harder rather than having more burnings? It's like the writers are doing this on purpose.
    Also hate how they had to make Trant a pedophile so it seems more justifiable for Arya to kill him.
    I'm hoping it's just a means for her to get close to him rather than some stupid justification. Also hope
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    she's punished properly, and the episode ends with her, and does a sopranos and just goes to black and everyone will be all wtf they killed arya.

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Although not a scene from the show, I trust everyone has seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idVozGXbn2Y

I honestly can't watch the opening theme now without that going through my head.
    I work with someone with the theme song as their ring tone, all day long, I'll be hearing that, damn you.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

I don't mean to sound pedantic or anything (especially since I'm a fan of the show but not a book reader), but how is Qarth doing these days?

Last we saw of Qarth, at the end of Season 2, it was sacked and looted of much of its gold by Danny and her band of lovable Dothraki rapists. Has the city recovered since then, since her taking of Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen? Does Qarth have a new oligarchic council to manage the city, or is it overrun by those weird warlocks, like we saw and were reminded of at the very beginning of Season 3? You remember, the little girl who tried to assassinate Danny with a scorpion, but was saved by Barriston Selmy?

So yeah, does Martin say anything about Qarth after Danny left it in a mess? I'm actually not too sure about what's going on in Yunkai and Astapor at the moment. Does Danny still have control over these sites, or were they plundered of all the slaves and left as uninhabited ruins? Is Danny the scourge of the earth and settled civilization like the Mongols of the 13th century?

Protector Domesticus

Qarth are part of the city states trying to remove her from power in the books, though we haven't seen this in the show.
    In the books they try to bribe her to go to westeros with ships but she refuses, its suggested they play a part in the second siege of Meereen that is happening

qarth isn't city wide sacked, just xaro xoan daxos house. In the book he did nothing wrong, he just got fed up of defending her to the city council since she wasn't turned on by his crying, so he told her to leave. The warlocks are out to kill her, and after she abolished slavery in meereen, he comes to offer her ships finally to leave for westeros, i think she believes it's a trap and the ships will be sunk or something since by this point everyone just wants her and the dragons dead. The ships declare war the next morning cause everyone is sick of her .

Astapor is ruled by former slaves until the yunkai siege and destroy the city, send the diseased refugees to meereen, and besiege meereen.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Honetly, after an intense session of wiki'ing, I'm more interested in Asshai and Yi Ti, than any of the nonsense happening in Westeros.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Kalmpou View Post
    Who knows??? Perhaps this Red God inspired the Queen of Thorns to take the plotter's path and Walder Fray to betray Robb
    Or alternatively the Red God's magic made Robb (Or as I like to call him: "Rob") break his wedding vows (as in, his vow to bewed someone, not his vows he made on his wedding day) by marrying a peasant girl instead of a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Honetly, after an intense session of wiki'ing, I'm more interested in Asshai and Yi Ti, than any of the nonsense happening in Westeros.
    Yezh George did a great job at portraying the mysticism of the lands far east and south. I've always hoped some POV character would venture there so we could know what it's like

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Asshai and Yi Ti...those sound like the equivalent of Persia and China or something. Isn't the red sorceress Melisandre from Asshai?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Yezh George did a great job at portraying the mysticism of the lands far east and south. I've always hoped some POV character would venture there so we could know what it's like
    They did make it out like dany will have to go to asshai to accomplish her journey, much as everyone would hate another detour. That whole, "to go west you must go east and pass under the shadow"thing. There's also the mentions of the various black stones, in oldtown, the iron islands, i believe in volantis as well, a few random places. Maybe deep ones will rise from the sea to annihilate the others and place dany on the throne.

And yeah mel is from asshai, it's a city for sorcerers at the very edge of the known world. I think it might also be the source of the red god religion.

Well the pre-Long Night, mythical Empire of Dawn come to mind, and Asshai, along with the corpse city and the other city in the equivalent of Africa, being canon wise, the biggest cities in the world, it make's me very interested.

Kind of like a mix of mistical chinese dynasties, and indo-european mistics.

This guy's voice is pretty damn annoying, but he explains the history of the lands outside of Westeros fairly well:

ALSO: who else here thinks Azor Ahai is Jon Snow and not Stannis at this point?

Can I just say how much I hate Dany as a character? And the stories seeming obsession with Targaryens is almost as annoying as the Dunedains in LOTR.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ive always wondered why the Red priests started showing up in Westeros after the death of the Mad king. Seems like they would have had a fan in Aerys II if they had been a bit more aggressive in trying to convert kings then. Come to think of it, why didn't the red priests ever try to convert any of the Targaryen kings? I mean they are figuratively dragons. I can't believe that they never tried. Thier religion isnt new or anything.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Because, just like Assahi is at the edge of the world from Westeros POV, so is Westeros from Asshai POV. Even at the free cities as well as at Qarth,Yunkai, Meeren and Astapor the red god is not the dominant deity.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    why didn't the red priests ever try to convert any of the Targaryen kings? I mean they are figuratively dragons. I can't believe that they never tried.
    And that´s exactly the point. Why would you worship a red god when you ride dragons? The Targaryens were way above anything else in this world. If they had a cult then it was probably a cult for the emperor or dragons. Just because Rhollor wants to see people burn, doesn´t mean he has to do with dragons. His priest mingle in blood magic, something the ancient tragaryens had no interest as a main cult in.
    As for Westeros, the Targaryens there had embraced the seven pointed star, switching to Rhollor would have been unecessary complicated for them. It took a desperate king on a small island to introduce the Red God. If a red priest(ess) had walked up to Aerys, he would have just thought it funny to burn the priest.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    Ive always wondered why the Red priests started showing up in Westeros after the death of the Mad king. Seems like they would have had a fan in Aerys II if they had been a bit more aggressive in trying to convert kings then. Come to think of it, why didn't the red priests ever try to convert any of the Targaryen kings? I mean they are figuratively dragons. I can't believe that they never tried. Thier religion isnt new or anything.
    They did in fact try to convert Aerys II, Thoros was sent to try to convert him, he failed because he sucked, was a drunk i believe. But the valyrians did use blood magic i believe, but otherwise who knows.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Idk. You have Targaryens which have pretty much been obsessed with wildfire ever since the last Dragon died, and now all of a sudden a fire cult is appearing just as the last Targaryen king dies? Its a bit of a plothole to me. Someone like the Mad King would have probably have tried to change the religion of Westeros from the 7 to R'hollor if he had known about it, as unrealistic as enforcing it would have been, granted. He was suspicious of magic though. As for Robert, it makes sense why he would have had a hard time taking them seriously, and its never really explained why Stannis takes to Melisandre so easily. The explanation that he hates the seven isn't good enough to me. Its a big leap from being a athiest to suddenly burning people alive for a hungry god.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    This guy's voice is pretty damn annoying, but he explains the history of the lands outside of Westeros fairly well:

ALSO: who else here thinks Azor Ahai is Jon Snow and not Stannis at this point?
    That map looks worse than random/generated maps in computer games
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The god of light is elusive. One does not simply walk into R'hllor
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    The god of light is elusive. One does not simply walk into R'hllor
    Speaking of Sean Bean memes, I don't think Sean Bean died enough in this series. He needs to die more. Ned Stark should be resurrected as a wight and then killed again. And again. And again. Until Sean Bean has died enough times to satisfy my sadistic artistic tastes.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Why would anyone want to see more of the ing unrelated and weird politics of the east, just get everyone the back to westeros so we can get anywhere with this story, and then we can pretend the world ends at the narrow sea. Way to many side stories at this point.