Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of all the united kingdoms and territories of Westeros, the most unruly and loosely-ruled ones are the Iron Islands, Dorne and the North. They nominally bowed to the Targaryen kings residing in King's Landing because dragons would roast them alive otherwise. That subservience included not launching wars against other kingdoms of Westeros that also bowed to the same overlord king. However, with the Targaryens gone the jig is up! It's not just Dorne that is wild now, the whole continent is full of civil war and competing kings.
    Dorne didn't bend the knee during the Targaryan invasion. Aegon and his sisters failed to conquer Dorne and even one of the sister and a dragon were killed trying to conquer it. It took a while longer when another war broke out, they were conquered then rebelled immediately, but were unsuccessful and I think it was through some treaty of peace that bound Dorne to the Iron Throne. But they still styled themselves Princes.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

yeah Dorne was never conquered. When the Targaryan dragons came they ran an hid and waited for their armies to come down through the boneway and absolutely murdered them. Also thier alliances with the stepstones ensure they will probably never be sucessfully invaded by sea. They're in a very good defensive position.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Thanks for clearing that up, you guys!

In other news, Texas Senator Ted Cruz has joined the cast of Game of Thrones! He represents his state...and the faith militant.

May the seven-pointed star purify you.

James the Red's Avatar Campidoctor

Th Sparrows and faith militant in the show are a bit different from the books. I think the show makes them out to be evil, but the books don't.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Dorne didn't bend the knee during the Targaryen invasion. Aegon and his sisters failed to conquer Dorne and even one of the sister and a dragon were killed trying to conquer it. It took a while longer when another war broke out, they were conquered then rebelled immediately, but were unsuccessful and I think it was through some treaty of peace that bound Dorne to the Iron Throne. But they still styled themselves Princes.
    The rebellion did succeed as the ruler put in place by Daeron I Targaryen was assassinated via scorpions and Daeron himself ambushed and killed during a meeting under a Peace Banner, after that Dorne became independent again until Daerons successor brought Dorne into the fold via Marriage.
    Its the fact that Dorne was brought into the seven kingdoms through marriage rather then conquest that makes them both highly independent yet still very loyal to the Targaryen Dynasty.

With the Faith Militant and the situation surrounding them, they are apparently based apon a combination of the Medieval Catholic church and the Protestant Reformation which i found rather interesting.
    Last edited by SLN445; May 27, 2015 at 06:36 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by James the Red View Post
    Th Sparrows and faith militant in the show are a bit different from the books. I think the show makes them out to be evil, but the books don't.

Nah, the random faith mooks seems pretty sinister, but the pope or whatever he's called have had some excellent scenes showing his perspective. Kings landing has been one of the bright spots in this season.

I think the High Sparrow may be secretly trying to turn Westeros into a communist society. Thats my crackpot theory.

Praeses

Yeah Dorne was conquered but it took massive resources and they rebelled fairly quickly..

In the books the Faith of the Seven had two orders, some kind of rainbow knights a bit like the Kingsguard/Templars and some white cloaked police type clubmen protectors of the poor.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Protector Domesticus

Finding the story done by Telltale's Game of Throne Series to be fairly enjoyable, contains a lot of the story elements that the current TV series seems to be missing.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    I think the High Sparrow may be secretly trying to turn Westeros into a communist society. Thats my crackpot theory.
    Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing

Comes Domesticorum

I think the series highlights the problems of having a Jesuit Pope.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Is there something wrong with me? I can't stop watching this scene over and over:

"What will we find...when we strip away your finery?"

The look on his face when he says that. The look. Incredible actor, that Jonathan Pryce.

Citizen

The look on his face when he says that. The look. Incredible actor, that Jonathan Pryce.
    Yeah. Was he not a bond villain once? Seen him in a bunch of places actually. A very good casting for GoT.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Yeah. Was he not a bond villain once? Seen him in a bunch of places actually. A very good casting for GoT.
    Watch him in that bond movie(Tomorrow Never Dies) and catch a couple of those scenes with those looks. Sure, those bond villains get to just turn it up to 11 and steal the scenes, but the way he played that Bond villain is really what sold him for the High Sparrow. The two of them are pretty similar for drama once you turn him down to the right number and shift the style.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

hes actually the second bond villian. Pycelle was in For Your Eyes Only. And funnily enough Timothy Dalton was in the running to play Stannis.

hes actually the second bond villian. Pycelle was in For Your Eyes Only. And funnily enough Timothy Dalton was in the running to play Stannis.
    Nah, he was THE Bond Villain. The other guy was The Dragon.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Nah, he was THE Bond Villain. The other guy was The Dragon.
    nah Julian Glover played Kristasos. THE Bond Villian of For Your Eyes Only.
    Last edited by RedGuard; May 28, 2015 at 02:18 PM.

Comes Domesticorum

Pycelle was also Donovan in The Last Crusade, for anyone who didn't already know.

nah Julian Glover played Kristasos. THE Bond Villian of For Your Eyes Only.
    Oh wait, two characters...I got confused. Sorry.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

And even funnier because Tywin was one of Pycelle's henchmen/assassins in For Your Eyes Only.