Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

I saw the first season and it was awesome. What will happen when Daenerys arrives at Westeros? Who are the others? What will happen with Eddard Stark, my favorite character? Well 4 seasons later i am still waiting for answers for the first two things while my favorite character was killed at the end of first season. In the meantime we are introduced to countless new characters, some interesting some not and the plot has become tiresome. Also when i see "game of thrones" i expect to see battles not erotic scenes with gays and lesbians. Sorry for me the show lost all its charmness at the begining of season 2

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 5 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    while my favorite character was killed at the end of first season.
    Hah, welcome to the twisted mind of George RR Martin.

I am weird, my favourite major charaters are Doran Martell, Sansa Stark and the Lannisters. In the series, I've to say that Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) is also doing an outstanding job. He acted Theon's transformation amazingly. Oh. And Dolorous Edd Tollett of course. Because no one ever speaks of the shoveling.

My honourable mentions would go for Aemon Targaryen and Olenna Tyrell. My advice to you could be not to pick the most lovable characters as your favourites because those are the ones Martin loves beheading, eviscerating or crushing under the Mountain's fist the most.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think the writing for theon has been subpar though. I've never believed that he transitioned into Reek that fast. or would stay as Reek for that long.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    I think the writing for theon has been subpar though. I've never believed that he transitioned into Reek that fast. or would stay as Reek for that long.
    Easy to say when you've never been flayed

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    I think that would be more a result of mental violence than physical, but I see your point. Still, theres two years of torture and fear that occurs between book 2-5 and it makes a little bit more sense with Reek haven't washing in a year, having all his fingers cut off (and toes) having rotten and broken teeth/jaw etc. Reek in the show just seems to be putting on a show and hasn't ever forgot that he's really Theon. (which may be intended for the show)
    Last edited by RedGuard; May 23, 2015 at 02:09 PM.

Oh you mean in the show specifically ? Yeah well they obviously can't show his entire road of suffering for a number of reasons, but I think everyone gets the intention without having to see scene after scene of flaying and other methods of torture

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Indeed.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

My honourable mentions would go for Aemon Targaryen and Olenna Tyrell. My advice to you could be not to pick the most lovable characters as your favourites because those are the ones Martin loves beheading, eviscerating or crushing under the Mountain's fist the most.
    Yeah I don't see Dany, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Cercei, Bran or Tyrion dying anytime soon. They are the main characters. Last main character to die was Caitlin and she had played her role at that point.

Um... producers? Just those guys that want to know, if something is worthwhile economically.
    Wrong, Studious and producers care about their target market. So it happens the Target market is substancial, and wants their product badly. It doesnt mean it is a mainstream audience. It can be or not.
    Would you consider HBO audience mainstream? Given the kind of TV shows they put foward? I dont think so. Some of its shows became very popular no doubt, but popular doesnt equates to mainstream.

I think Roma_Victrix is quite representative and as you could see he reacted like a fanboy regarding Tommen + Margaery, while the idea of production with Oda Nobunaga + Mori Ranmaru as lovers was obviously morally condemned by him.
    I dont know about that. I didnt see him mention the Nobunaga matter. The point there is actualy a reason HBO and GoT do what they do with the nudity, and the sex scenes. The audience revels in it for the most part. It is an adult ( mature) oriented network after all.

About Tommen and Margaery scenes. I didnt find it anything out of ordinary or exceptional to be honest. There was nothing there stricly speaking. Only dialogue, and references, and that was about it.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Yeah I don't see Dany, Jon, Arya, Sansa, Jaime, Cercei, Bran or Tyrion dying anytime soon. They are the main characters. Last main character to die was Caitlin and she had played her role at that point.
    Well, more than half of those arent what I personally would call lovable . Only Tyrion makes the cut. Daenerys, Jon Snow and Arya have become annoying brats, Cersei has to be the most hated character since Joffrey died and Sansa And Jaime, while two of my favourite characters, were only recently transfered to the "cool guys" neighbourhood, the former being a spoiled, naive child and the later the backstabbing, pedantic guy no one in the Seven Kingdoms trusted.

I guess Bran is ok, but he will most likely end up being a superhero who rides fire-breathing dragons into battle, so it's pretty much a plain, generic character for Game of Thrones standards. Hell, if he wasn't crippled I'd say he would fit better in the Lord of the Rings.

Save for the foreseable badass femme fatale that Sansa will probably become, the rest of the Starks are a pretty boring bunch.

In the other hand you have a pretty sizeable list of actual "good guys" who have one thing in common: Robert Baratheon, Ned Stark, Renly, Robb Stark, Jeor Mormont, Benjen and a long etc.

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    and Arys Oakheart, Cortnay Penrose, Quentyn Martell... and in the series they kill even more good guys Mance Ryder, Grenn, Barristan Selmy...
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 24, 2015 at 01:03 AM.

Protector Domesticus

Jon Snow was annoying in the beginning but hes been getting better since he came back from beyond the wall.

Citizen

Would you consider HBO audience mainstream? Given the kind of TV shows they put foward? I dont think so. Some of its shows became very popular no doubt, but popular doesnt equates to mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    mainstream is the common current thought of the perceived majority.[1] It includes all popular culture and media culture, typically disseminated by mass media. The opposite of the mainstream are subcultures, countercultures and cult followings. It is often used as a pejorative term by subcultures who view ostensibly mainstream culture as not only exclusive but artistically and aesthetically inferior.[attribution needed] In the United States, mainline churches are sometimes referred to synonymously as "mainstream."[2][3]

Of course GoT is mainstream.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

HBO [and it's peers] have moved the goal posts as to what is 'mainstream.' 20 years ago something like X-files was post watershed and considered edgy, by comparison it's very tame compared to current shows.

apparently according to the Xfinity "info" on tonight's game of thrones, it doesn't just say Stannis remains stubborn, it says Stannis remains stubborn and prevails. Possible battle of Deepwood motte? I know Yara/Asha is in this episode.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    apparently according to the Xfinity "info" on tonight's game of thrones, it doesn't just say Stannis remains stubborn, it says Stannis remains stubborn and prevails. Possible battle of Deepwood motte? I know Yara/Asha is in this episode.
    He only left the wall last episode, but GoT standards it should take him another season and a half to reach the motte. At which point he'll make camp and then they'll cut to a scene with a handful of dead bodies and a couple of rider less horses.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Cersei is really the only interesting character in the series right now and they are barely giving her focus. Everyone else seems to be stuck in a rut right now.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Cersei is really the only interesting character in the series right now and they are barely giving her focus. Everyone else seems to be stuck in a rut right now.
    Well, in the books I really liked the Dorne storyline and in the series they are barely giving it any attention. In fact, I'd say that so far it's got some of the worst scenes in the entire series.

Citizen

Sand snaked were cringeworthy.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

lol they are terrible

"I am Obara sand! Daughter of Oberyn Martell!"
    Areo Hotah: "No . I saw you grow up. I saw you suckle your mother's teats when you were still an infant. And now I will be the one to end your life."
    *Cuts off her head
    Bronn: "Oh for s sake!"

-how that scene should of gone down.