Page 7 of 527 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107507 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: GAME OF THRONES - Season 3( May Contain Spoilers )

That's how I imagined Jorah.And he seems pretty ugly and barbaric to me.

I dunno he kinda has a rugged handsome look. At least for an older man.
    And I think Tywin is acted extremely well if not entirely true to the books, it's still good.

Can't say I enjoy Stannis though. Even if I've always seen him as being fairly whiny...

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

He is extremely whiney but he still comes off tough in the books, whereas in the show he was just whiney.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Brutus as Edmure? I actually really like that casting decision

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

At times I find the acting dire at times. And I feel some of the actors don't suit their characters at all (Stephan Dillane as Stannis).
    I found Stannis to be quite good to be honest. He plays the part perfectly imo, from the way I pictured Stannis from the books at least. He SHOULD be a bit more aggressive though, like the way he was when he threatened Melisandre in the last episode of Season 2.

Now Jorah...Jorah has a bad image in the series. The actor's quite a handsome man, and Jorah is no handsome man...
    Last edited by SonOfOdin; July 29, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    That's because you have the scenes fresh in your head and expect them to visualize your imagination which they can't. My memories are far more fuzzy and thus I can enjoy the show as an independant narration of the same source material and also can accept that nothing looks like I imagined.
    I guess that much to be true. Although, I've no problem seeing things different to how I imagined them, I even thought of that before I looked at the clips

Oh, gee. They rewrote stuff. Surprise. It's what screenwriters do for many, varied reasons. Sure, there are some bad reasons but that a night shot in the rain is converted to a confrontation in daylight is not really one of them as that wasn't the gist of it in the books at all.
    Obviously they were going to change some stuff, all book based series and films do. But usually they are just to save on time or budget, not just for the sake of it. If they are going to 100% change a scene I'd rather they just left it out.

And yes, I know that the night and rain is not the point of that scene, although as a friend of mine said, it makes the book far more epic. My point was that they totally changed that scene to nothing like the book, so why bother putting it in. The way Eddard "broke" his leg was just so random and the duel with Jaime was just put in because it looked "cool". It was also pointless since Jaime clearly didn't want to kill or captured Ned.

It's also a common complaint from many fans that the series are getting less and less accurate

I don't get the character complaints at all. Your Theon Greyjoy from the books will never look like my Theon Greyjoy and will never look like the Theon 100s of other people have in their head when reading. I overall like the characters because I see them as being interpretations of the books and hey, I sometimes imagine characters with a completely wrong hair color even if the author underlines it two to three times that this is not their hair color. Why? Because in my head the guy or gal with the other hair color seemed to fit the character description better until the author starting going on a rant that the hair is blonde, not brown. Tough luck if my visualization is about a brown haired dude. I mean that Edmure picture like nothing I imagine Edmure to look like except reddish hair.

so far I actually like pretty much all characters in the show. Are they like the ones in the books? No. But they behave consistent and in the same drive as in the books. So Asha isn't hot. I like that because she looks normal and tough as nails character wise. Might not suit the book description, still fits the story.
    I do the same with characters. Some times I even skim over the descriptions in the book because I already have an idea in my head of what they look like. That's a luxury the fans have, but when you're making a TV interpretation of the books, you have to follow the descriptions. Never in a million years would I have thought that Theon Greyjoy looked like Alfie Allen. Yes, he had been in Winterfell for half his life but he is still a Ironman and Alfie Allen doesn't resemble that at all as far as I'm concerned. Although that's just my opinion

I know everyone is entitled to his opionion but your opinion is WRONG!
    Seriously people, this is one of the highest budget TV shows on the networks and it is still minuscle compared to flops like John Carter while having to film several times more footage per season.

If you want to know how TV shows fared when they didn't even get that much budget just check out book conversions to TV in the 70s - 90s. What we see from HBO, Showtime and the like are quantum leaps in comparison but when even triple A titles in Hollywood barely manage to keep the visualization top notch you are expecting a wee bit too much from a TV crew.

For the scope they have to cover they are doing pretty fine and maybe toning it down to medieval standards (aka everything is smaller than written) is not a bad idea per se either.

I like how they give every region its cultural feel (very expensive), think up spectacular location to at least catch the mood in absence of props (still very expensive) and at least try to cover enough of the characters (even more expensive).
    Again, I suppose that's fair enough but it's hard to enjoy a scene when it is toned down massively from the books. When I'm watching a show like this, I want to get immersed in the world it's set and believe what I'm seeing so I can forget it's a TV show. I don't want to be constantly thinking "well that's like that because the budget held them back"

Maybe I'm a for thinking that, I don't know
    I found Stannis to be quite good to be honest. He plays the part perfectly imo, from the way I pictured Stannis from the books at least. He SHOULD be a bit more aggressive though, like the way he was when he threatened Melisandre in the last episode of Season 2.
    Well from the scenes I've looked at, he doesn't seem to have any personality. He just seems to be reciting off his lines without any of the authority Stannis usually portrays
    Last edited by ccllnply; July 29, 2012 at 07:18 AM.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Now Jorah...Jorah has a bad image in the series. The actor's quite a handsome man, and Jorah is no handsome man...
    Jorah bad? Ian Glen is absolutely perfect in my opinion, and I think the character is far better portrayed than the hairy ugly guy he's meant to be in the book.

Besides, a characters appearance shouldn't have to exactly match their book descriptions. Unless there's an important plot point about one aspect - like the Barathon/Lannister hair colours, the actor should only need to fit the basic outline.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

If you've seen Misfits, then you know Iwan Rheon is good at playing a creep. It's a different creep than Ramsay, but I think he'll nail it
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobz View Post
    Jorah bad? Ian Glen is absolutely perfect in my opinion, and I think the character is far better portrayed than the hairy ugly guy he's meant to be in the book.
    Oh no don't get me wrong, the acting is flawless, but this picture sums it all up :

It is also written multiple times that Dany never really fancied him and was more repulsed than attracted to him in terms of looks, in the Series that would be a bit hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    If you've seen Misfits, then you know Iwan Rheon is good at playing a creep. It's a different creep than Ramsay, but I think he'll nail it
    True. And in Season 2 of the Misfits, he seems to get some muscles too from all that parkour and umm...time with his girlfriend whose name I shall not say. I reckon he'll fit perfectly into Ramsay's role.
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    The way Eddard "broke" his leg was just so random and the duel with Jaime was just put in because it looked "cool". It was also pointless since Jaime clearly didn't want to kill or captured Ned.
    actually that Jaime and Eddard actually cross swords and Lannister breaks the fight off as one of his own men steps in sevres very important plot points to show the conflict and define Jaime's character better (aka his quirky sense of honor even though everyone accuses him of having none and thus far the viewer hasn't seen much of his capabilities. Him being too proud to kill Eddard because someone else spoiled the fight is an important trait of him).

It's also a common complaint from many fans that the series are getting less and less accurate
    I hope those fans take their pain medicine because that TV shows get less and less accurate as early story adaptions propagate through the seasons is what also G.R.R. Martin expected from the get go.

Seriously by season 3 any TV show should have adopted its own footing even if it is based on some other work because it will _never_ be able to cover the source in the same way (and what would be the point in telling the same thing the same way twice?).

Theon Greyjoy looked like Alfie Allen. Yes, he had been in Winterfell for half his life but he is still a Ironman and Alfie Allen doesn't resemble that at all as far as I'm concerned. Although that's just my opinion
    I only remember Theon being an arrogant idiot who fails the first chance he has to prove himself on his own. Alfie does that character justice. That might not do him justice though.

Again, I suppose that's fair enough but it's hard to enjoy a scene when it is toned down massively from the books. When I'm watching a show like this, I want to get immersed in the world it's set and believe what I'm seeing so I can forget it's a TV show. I don't want to be constantly thinking "well that's like that because the budget held them back"
    And that's where we differ. I'm amazed at the world they are showing. Any gripe that it's not as grand as some half sentence in the books is indeed unfair. They cover all the main locations with their own feel and culture. Every nation/house has its own style and looks. That's incredible. Just because they shot it in tighter locations to save money doesn't make the mood different.
    The props and locations they make are pretty high quality and I have seen worse in some high budget movies, particularly creativity and culutural feel.

Well from the scenes I've looked at, he doesn't seem to have any personality. He just seems to be reciting off his lines without any of the authority Stannis usually portrays
    He is described as uncharismatic and a cold fish while being stoic and with a sense of duty and justice leaning towards absurdity which he is described as.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

I wish they gave Kevan more importance, it makes he seem like he's just one of the Lannister generals.

Well, I hope they take away all the useless scenes that make it so that there's no room for the book ones. Like Robert/Cersei exchange in season 1 for example, or those whore scenes in season 2 , both were completely useless.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post
    ]I wish they gave Kevan more importance, it makes he seem like he's just one of the Lannister generals.

Well unless I'm mistaken, doesn't he have more importance later on?
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Yeah he only really gains importance after certain key events.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by beckyolt View Post

Well, I hope they take away all the useless scenes that make it so that there's no room for the book ones. Like Robert/Cersei exchange in season 1 for example, or those whore scenes in season 2 , both were completely useless.
    The Robert/Cersei exchange was a very good scene, designed to show the viewers the cold, distant relationship between the two together with some of their history, which is something it achieves very well. Also, it tells us of the current political situation in Westeros and the possible consequences of a Dothraki invasion - which to all new viewers (like me at the time) was a major threat. If we get more of that in place of Cateyln moping around in Riverrun then please take out more book scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOdin View Post
    Oh no don't get me wrong, the acting is flawless, but this picture sums it all up :

It is also written multiple times that Dany never really fancied him and was more repulsed than attracted to him in terms of looks, in the Series that would be a bit hard to believe

Well, you could say the same for Tyrion. He's not nearly as ugly as described in the books.

trance's Avatar Vicarius

Hahaha, how can you even begin to doubt Stephen Dillane's portrait of Stannis? It's near flawless, he's acing it in both acting and appearance. Jorah, the new Gregor Clegane and Renly are IMO not at all representative of the books. Amongst those the new Mountain is the worst one, I hope they can get the old one back in time to the trial by combat. HBO's casting has otherwise been very good up to now, I'm however seriously worried about the new ones, especially Beric.
    Last edited by trance; August 03, 2012 at 04:31 PM.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have no big complaints about the series so far, except that they need more money for better battle scenes.

The acting is good enough for me, the actors are enough like their characters to not bother me, and despite the big changes to interactions and events, and the creation of scenes not at all from the book, the show kept the important developments from the book and didn't really lose anything in the process.

Except for Robb Stark's not marrying the daughter of a petty lord pledged to the Lannisters. Instead he gets the hots for a foreign battle-nurse? It would have been much better to have kept that part intact. The double betrayal is key to the Red Wedding.

They are pledged not to Lannisters. If you look at the map where they are, you can see they are at the north of "Riverlands".
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

trance's Avatar Vicarius

They are. Check map, reread ASOS or check one of the wikis if you don't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by trance View Post
    They are. Check map, reread ASOS or check one of the wikis if you don't believe me.
    May be after a certain wedding.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf