Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    @Roma_Victrix: No, i have no sources, but i just want to think that the hoplites were just better. I like to think that way

(ok, i suppose iron was the wrong term, i am no expert on hoplite armor or armor in general, but they obviously had metallic cores to their body,head and leg-edges armor; that much is evident even from the countless depictions of hoplites in ancient art ).
    You wrong, The celts were much more advanced as metarlurgy is concerned, and as for the Hoplites and greek forces, Linothorax was the mainstream use, the vase paintings for the most part show us Linothorax not Bronze plates as much. In fact linothorax was 2 simple bronze plates, with linen and lether on top, better protection then a simple bronze plate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linothorax

I didn't realise that military bods were used for extras in LOTR. I know the producers of Waterloo managed to get thousands of Soviet soldiers as extras and the level of drill displayed in the films battle scene was to a very high standard.
    Indeed i seen that movie again recently, its amazing, even by our standarts today

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 21, 2014 at 07:17 PM.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Funny on the first a point Xenophon made a long ago after a after a lifetime of war he did not like shiny happy soldiers but ones that did what were supposed to do - and could think once the plan when to hell.
    After a lifetime of war no one would be or want a shiny happy soldier. Shiny happy soldier = either recruits or idiots.

On the second Xenophon liked a lean thin soldier they did not need so much food,
    How selfish! :O

This Xenophon guy seems like an arse.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    I know, but the dothraki arkahs look like they could slice right through that black leather armor. I get that their super motivated, but even motivation only goes so far against superior weapons and horsesman ship. I picture the dothraki using mongol tactics and just riding around in circles around them as they try to see through thier black helmets that really serve no purpose.

Also raw recruits are better at drill than veterans, because its still so fresh in their minds. most armies stop drilling as much after they get to their unit, unless your north korea. lol. But then again these guys are trained from capture to kill. so you would think they would take anything that builds discipline, like drill, seriously.
    I just see the Dothraki getting tired and going home after hacking to pieces the Unsullied.
    We weren't informed of the casualties on the Dothraki side of the battle, alll we know is that the Unsullied won with only a few hundred out of their initial force surviving. Just seemed to me that the Dothraki were unused to fighting professional armies

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Grey Worm's a skinny runt anyway.
    Meh I've met one of the hardest dudes alive, and he was smaller than me.

Simo Hayha was 1.6.
    Last edited by Påsan; June 22, 2014 at 04:51 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I agree that none of the armies in the show look that intimidating/impressive.
    Some individual knights do (eg that mountain :\ ) but the battle scenes are nothing particularly interesting.

Btw, why did that original Second Son's character quit the show and they had to replace him for the 4rth season? (not that the new actor is worse; they both seem pretty generic i suppose).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

The old Daario is set to be in a reboot of the Transporter series or something like that. So he left to do that.

so is the spider going to play the part of Lord of Pentos in the events of book 5? (book 4 and book 5 happen concurrently)

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    so is the spider going to play the part of Lord of Pentos in the events of book 5? (book 4 and book 5 happen concurrently)
    apparently. they have botched Littlefinger and vary's characters so bad this season. Littlefinger would never be caught with his pants down when the lords of the vale come knocking, as Varys would never put himself in a position to be blamed for Tywin's death. In the book he's simply like. "oh my lord, Tywin's up there. wink wink." not the "what have you done?????" as if he was completely caught off guard that tyrion would want to kill his father before he leaves KL for good.

Miles

Well I forone was completely cought off guard by Tyrion going out of his way to kill his father. One does not expect so called "Innocent" (as you lot claim he was off innocent of Joffrey's death, despite evidence to the contrary (including two sepperate trials, one by Magistrates, the other by Combat)) men to go on killing sprees as soon as someone breaks them out of prison.
    Varys' interests are the interests of the realm. When Tyrion acted contrary to those interests (by killing the king's right hand), Varys going beserk and calling Tyrion a "stupid duffer" was the only logical reaction to the duffer's reckless actions... Wait a minute, killing Tywin wasn't reckless at all. That was down right murder. OFF WITH TYRION'S HEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Army Cheese View Post
    Well I forone was completely cought off guard by Tyrion going out of his way to kill his father. One does not expect so called "Innocent" (as you lot claim he was off innocent of Joffrey's death, despite evidence to the contrary (including two sepperate trials, one by Magistrates, the other by Combat)) men to go on killing sprees as soon as someone breaks them out of prison.
    Varys' interests are the interests of the realm. When Tyrion acted contrary to those interests (by killing the king's right hand), Varys going beserk and calling Tyrion a "stupid duffer" was the only logical reaction to the duffer's reckless actions... Wait a minute, killing Tywin wasn't reckless at all. That was down right murder. OFF WITH TYRION'S HEAD!
    It is mildly likely that Varys makes stuff up so as to further his own goals

Afaik (wiki) in the books Varys himself tells Tyrion where to go to reach Tywin's chamber. It is just that the show- as usual - tries to better the books and improvise
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

@Swiss Cheese, are you saying Tyrion was guilty of murdering Joffrey?
    Last edited by High Fist; June 23, 2014 at 07:26 AM.

Even in the show we know Tyrion hates Tywin and the opposite. Tywin ordered Tyrion to be killed, even though he said he wouldn't be. Tyrion knows Tywin has been trying to kill hims sine he was born, yet when Tyrion gets a chance to kill Tywin rater than be killed, the kniving know all varys has no idea that Tyrion might want to kill Tywin? even the shows differing circumstance that doesn't really add up. Yeah, Im not gonna let someone live who just ordered my death if there is nothing stopping me from killing him. Of course the circumstances in the book that lead to Tyrion killing Tywin are much better, as nearly every single thing they have tried to simplify in the show. I don't get how show viewers could forget about Tysha, she was explained in season 1, and mentioned again in 3 when tywin says "all to well" angrily. yet the show doesn't go out of the way to rexplain the coin that Arya has, even though its been 2 seasons since it was relevant. Its just plain laziness really. and yet we have time to show pointless Jaime and Cersei scenes. Not to mention there is a rehash at the beginning of the episodes usually which could have easily explained the show viewers who Tysha was agin.
    Last edited by RedGuard; June 23, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The only thing that I did remember about Arya is that she has that coin and I wanted that part of her storyline to start, waiting for the Hound to go away so she can go solo. Never read the books but that was the only interesting thing about her, a cool coin from a freed prisoner assassin who is probably rich/famous/powerful in his lands.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

yet the show doesn't go out of the way to rexplain the coin that Arya has, even though its been 2 seasons since it was relevant.
    I'm not sure what they could have sine the girl herself has no real ideal what it can do. I suppose they could have had here play with more, but they did show earlier and in a more or less correct context.

The only thing that I did remember about Arya is that she has that coin and I wanted that part of her storyline to start, waiting for the Hound to go away so she can go solo. Never read the books but that was the only interesting thing about her, a cool coin from a freed prisoner assassin who is probably rich/famous/powerful in his lands.
    True but the time with the Hound lets her see what you need to be to go it alone if you will.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I'm not sure what they could have sine the girl herself has no real ideal what it can do. I suppose they could have had here play with more, but they did show earlier and in a more or less correct context.

True but the time with the Hound lets her see what you need to be to go it alone if you will.
    all I'm saying is they pick and choose what they think is relevant, and they really don't give the viewer enough credit. Often times the viewer is much smarter and has a better memory than what they give them credit for. simply uttering the name Tysha a couple times will jog their memory or there are several thousands of pages on the interwebs dedicated to Tyrion alone for a viewer to look up if they really have no idea where they heard that name mentioned before.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

all I'm saying is they pick and choose what they think is relevant, and they really don't give the viewer enough credit. Often times the viewer is much smarter and has a better memory than what they give them credit for. simply uttering the name Tysha a couple times will jog their memory or there are several thousands of pages on the interwebs dedicated to Tyrion alone for a viewer to look up if they really have no idea where they heard that name mentioned before.
    True any adaption of book -> Movie is always a dance of how to do it. Again going back to Arya and the coin they had problem it that having a child charcter on a dark path is a problem given modern perceptions of children. In retrospect I see why they pulled her teeth if you will in previous seasons because in reality even on HBO her actions were not going to play well for how young the actress was. The extended Hound segments this season allow a more mature actress to play going all dark side much better and feel less creepy. But as I said I was more responding that I think thay did show the coin suitably - as a sort of Totem of the girl.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    @Swiss Cheese, are you saying Tyrion was guilty of murdering Joffrey?
    I am not saying that Tyrion is guilty or not, I am just saying that after going through the Napoleonic system Tyrion was found guilty by all three magistrates, and he was found guilty in a trial by combat. Therefor Tyrion has been CONVICTED (not just accussed) of regicide.
    Who am I to argue with the turn abouts of the Westerosi Legal System?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    I don't think Tysha, by name, was ever mentioned in Game of Thrones. I remember the drinking game in which it was revealed that Tyrion married a whore, but there was no name given.

I don't think Tysha, by name, was ever mentioned in Game of Thrones. I remember the drinking game in which it was revealed that Tyrion married a whore, but there was no name given.

No the name was given

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGtIgaWapoc

Who am I to argue with the turn abouts of the Westerosi Legal System?
    Everyone else is.

I like Tyrion. He shouldn't die. Though I might get tired of him after if he gets all brooding and .