Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

That's just terrible brah.

Personally I think the Bolton/Theon parts is one of the worst in ASoIaF. One of those I feet like skipping.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Gonzo View Post
    As someone who has read all the books, I am very disappointed with the changes in the show. I still think the show is great, and I understand that somethings needed to be changed to work better visually but it's obvious that some of the changes were unnecessary and do nothing but irritate people.

Hmm I am rather of the opnion the changes are done as reaction to the internet. So you are planning a long show and your first season makes you golden ... but ... you got problems. The series is not finished by the Author. And anyone with two brain cells to rub together can look everything up. So one the one hand you have built in fan base but they know what is supposed to happen and know all the books. SO there in lies all the argument over how much you need to adapt or cut etc. But I think consciously they have gone one step farther to create ambiguity such that a book reader does not know quite how things play out. Given the involvement of the author it verges close to a sanctioned v2 of the story.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Gonzo View Post
    As someone who has read all the books, I am very disappointed with the changes in the show. I still think the show is great, and I understand that somethings needed to be changed to work better visually but it's obvious that some of the changes were unnecessary and do nothing but irritate people.
    Yeah, it would be great to have characters like Lady Stoneheart(you have most definetily already been spoiled about her) and:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Arriane Martell(boobs, ain't that enough on it's own?), Young Griff and Griff(just to take a break from Daenarys), the older son of Doran Martell, who seeks his fortune in Essos(don't remember name, sorry) and the list goes on....

Also, a question about book readers:
    Now if they follow Tyrion's plotline, where he almost drowns when his ship sinks, who saves him since Griff has been cut? Tell me it's not the Spider, please...
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Kalmpou View Post
    Yeah, it would be great to have characters like Lady Stoneheart(you have most definetily already been spoiled about her) and:
    Arriane Martell(boobs, ain't that enough on it's own?), Young Griff and Griff(just to take a break from Daenarys), the older son of Doran Martell, who seeks his fortune in Essos(don't remember name, sorry) and the list goes on....

Now if they follow Tyrion's plotline, where he almost drowns when his ship sinks, who saves him since Griff has been cut? Tell me it's not the Spider, please...
    Do you know if Griff and young Griff have been cut totally or just delayed a season like the Blackfish was?
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    Do you know if Griff and young Griff have been cut totally or just delayed a season like the Blackfish was?
    I think so, but I am not a 100% sure
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Miles

/snip
    That's not a question about book readers.
    Also I never knew there were people that "shipped" Griff (whoever that is) with Tywin Lannister....

Yeah I kinda deliberately misread spoilers as an act to purge my memory of spoilers.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I'm be massively disappointed if Griff and Young Griff are left out. I would have to come to the conclusion that the shows writers are intentionally leaving characters out just to leave characters out, there's no other way to explain it. Are least one of them has to be in.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

So screw that storyline.

What's hilarious is that even now the show decisions have huge read-between-the-lines ramifications for the book. All the people who were spoiled by arrogant book readers have a comeback with a vengeance, and this is just the beginning

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    I'm be massively disappointed if Griff and Young Griff are left out. I would have to come to the conclusion that the shows writers are intentionally leaving characters out just to leave characters out, there's no other way to explain it. Are least one of them has to be in.
    I've heard plenty of complaints about them being there at all. There'd been no hint of them before and they just popped out of nowhere - probably cause Martin killed half of Westeros already. If they don't have the Griff's in it'll be very interesting to see how it all pans out.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Another interesting thing is that there's currently this debate on whether Griff's really a Targaryen or no. I think leaving him out of the show is kind of giving away the fact that he isn't, because the show would probably never leave someone as important as the rightful Targaryen heir to the throne out. It's a bit like when they killed off Robb's wife and his child, giving away the fact that they probably wouldn't be of any importance to the story anymore even though the kid was still alive in the books and could've played a role in the whole debate about the claim to the North

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Robb's kid survived? Never knew that, now.

Hmm. Now that you mention it Y. Griff mightn't be who he claims to be... but Idk, I'd say he's still Rhaegar's son. There's the prophesy and all that. Still not really fond of his existence though.

He could be Jon Snow's brother. That'd be cool.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist View Post
    Robb's kid survived? Never knew that, now.

Hmm. Now that you mention it Y. Griff mightn't be who he claims to be... but Idk, I'd say he's still Rhaegar's son. There's the prophesy and all that. Still not really fond of his existence though.

He could be Jon Snow's brother. That'd be cool.
    He could also be a
    Blackfyre(Targaryen cadet dynasty)
    For the Sake of Love

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

thee blackfyres havent even been mentioned and explaining them to your average show watcher would be complicated

I know, but there are clues in the books which makes a lot suspect Young Griff is a Blackfyre
    For the Sake of Love

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Spoiler tags people.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    Another interesting thing is that there's currently this debate on whether Griff's really a Targaryen or no. I think leaving him out of the show is kind of giving away the fact that he isn't, because the show would probably never leave someone as important as the rightful Targaryen heir to the throne out. It's a bit like when they killed off Robb's wife and his child, giving away the fact that they probably wouldn't be of any importance to the story anymore even though the kid was still alive in the books and could've played a role in the whole debate about the claim to the North
    Aye, or how they killed on Jojen. Completely unnecessary and means that he probably isn't important anymore. I'm guessing Meera must be important if they bothered leaving her in. I suspect she introduces Howland to Bran later in the books.

It's pretty annoying at this stage because it's like the shows are making spoilers for the books. Either that or the shows writers really want to make things challenging for themselves later on.

Miles

I know, but there are clues in the books which makes a lot suspect Young Griff is a Blackfyre
    Impossible. All the Blackfyres were wiped out in the second rebellion.

does anyone know if the seasons will be split up like the books now. im kinda confused why Bran isnt in it. I understand he is basically midway through book 5 in his story now, but so is Dany and Theon, but they will be in season 5 for sure. Im assuming they will do most of book 4 if not all of what they chose to do for the show (aka leaving out the greyjoy subplots) but I feel now that Stannis and Jon are at the wall now, they have to do that storyline this season as both the Baratheons and the Greyjoys have been ignored or minimalized for two seasons now.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

So... in the series will Griff/young Griff have blue hair like the series 50year old/30 year old Daario?
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    So... in the series will Griff/young Griff have blue hair like the series 50year old/30 year old Daario?
    the difference is he does it for a reason. Daario just does it as a style choice

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Spoiler tags people.

Aye, or how they killed on Jojen. Completely unnecessary and means that he probably isn't important anymore. I'm guessing Meera must be important if they bothered leaving her in. I suspect she introduces Howland to Bran later in the books.

It's pretty annoying at this stage because it's like the shows are making spoilers for the books. Either that or the shows writers really want to make things challenging for themselves later on.
    Yeah same thing indeed. I don't like it, saps the fun right out off the books. Especizlly since for instance Jojen had such a lousy death in the show