Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    It's the same yammering from people over and over X is boring why they spend so much time on them, Y is annoying why do I have to watch their scenes, etc.
    Given that she appears every episode, whats the problem with saying that there is little to no progression in my eyes? Not acting all entitled and calling people idiots for opposing opinion.

In a nutshell - at the start of the season, she had her Unsullied, Dragons & 3 advisors and struggled for control over Slavers' Bay. Now she has her Unsullied, Dragons & 2 advisors, got boned by Daario, executed a generation of slaver-elites and struggles for control over Slavers' Bay.
    Yes but Bran's less prominent in the book and less important to the overall structure of things. Besides that Daenerys is a very popular character with most of the ordinary viewers.
    There is still an obvious focus on Daenerys this season, despite very little material. The scenes featuring Bran were excellent and usually had a pay-off - especially the big "King of the Night" reveal.

It's suffering from it and might be better off without the magnifying glass for us know-it-all bampots. Although I feel the Grey Worm - Missandei liaison attempts to dismount the criticism of quick, overblown sexuality.
    Yeah probably better that way. I don't know where they're heading with things down the road. At this rate I feel like the show will catch up and pass Martin unless he releases another book soon instead of working on the stories that have nothing to do with Ice and Fire arc.
    Agreed. If I recall correctly, they've been told the major outcomes for most characters by Martin/they had matching visions during their crunch-talks.

Some 'whinings' were. A lot of it was just people saying they don't like watching scenes that don't have anything to do with their favorite character. I can understand death complaints in the series to some extent. But the series has been all about the idea that anyone can die at any time from the start. I rather like that aspect of it. Even though some of my favorite characters have been killed off I like that people don't have plot armor, more or less.
    Me too and I'm usually someone who relishes the trademark HOLY -moments. But there's no hiding from the very graphic violence on display which is going to cause some people to be, legitimatly repelled by it. By the shrieking. The crunching. The teeth. The horrible slow-motion inevitability of it all. Not for everybody.

If people feel genuinly hurt & sorry for them, that's a huge testament for the very good performance on all levels for the characters. Not just the big ones like the famous "Red Wedding reactions." When I watched it with non-readers they were cheering when Oberyn chose to be Tyrion's champion.
    Funny. Actually as far as his fate is concerned and the theories behind Cersei's bodyguard later on are rather silly to me. Martin should have just left it with how it goes after his fight with the Viper.
    So who is it? Sandor or Jon Snow?

Again agreed. Not all scenarios should be declassified. Let fan fiction figure that out.
    Last edited by Cold_Mac; June 02, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    Barristan obviously has a mind for battle, being one of the best swordsman in the world and one of the most experienced, but he has one massive flaw.. he is a 100% yes-man bootlicker. Dany isn't going to be receiving many "hard-truths" from Barristan such as Jorah gives her in almost every exchange. This is why Davos and Stannis are the tag-team champs.
    Point taken, and I agree with your basic premise, but I don't see his motivation as that of a bootlicker. The man has spent the majority of his life as a bodyguard--I just don't think he sees it as his role to do anything more than serve and defend the regent.
    Son of PW

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The situation with Jorah, as I see it, is yet another example by Martin to show that Dany is not, at least at the present, fit for rule.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    Retarded?It seems to me this cousin was dealing with a very serious beetle infestation that no one else payed attention too.
    Hahaha, that was repworthy, but unfortunately I can't give you any

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Nothing wrong with Ser Barristan Selmy--his story is truly epic. But whether he's a strategist. . .I don't know. Either way, I trust this isn't the last we see of Iain Glen on the show, he's one of my favorite actors.
    I should hope so, he's been my favourite character since the beginning. Damn, why do all likeable characters leave the show one way or another?
    Is there anyone going to be alive when the whole story is over, who was there from the start?
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; June 02, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Well this is GoT and not reality, so Grey Worm might get aroused enough to make love but in reality if he's missing testicles than no production of testosterone so probably impossible to make love with penetration. Not impossible but very unlikely baring the introduction of testosterone by other means.

Testosterone results in sexual desire in both men and women. If the woman had the loss of adrenal function, then she's liable to have zero sexual desire. The same is true for a man missing testicles. One would still notice women and their beauty, which is what we saw in that scene, but actually capable of the mechanism of the act...probably not without a very patient lover.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; June 02, 2014 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    Hahaha, that was repworthy, but unfortunately I can't give you any

I should hope so, he's been my favourite character since the beginning. Damn, why do all likeable characters leave the show one way or another?
    Is there anyone going to be alive when the whole story is over, who was there from the start?
    If you'd like to see more of Iain Glen, watch Spooks. He was in Season 9, as I recall--that was my introduction to him.
    Son of PW

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Retarded?It seems to me this cousin was dealing with a very serious beetle infestation that no one else payed attention too.
    Thanks for the funny post

I am still sad about Oberyn, and also a bit alarmed that it made me sad/angry. I suppose this happened cause Oberyn was a decent person and fought for a good cause, and he was killed in the worst possible way by the biggest POS in this series.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As for the (spoiler) 'mystery guard' in the future episodes... wiki does not make it clear if he is tied to the mountain, but at any rate the book synopsis i saw was rather more of the same crap.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; June 02, 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Possible spoilers
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    On a side note, is Grey Worm going to grow a dick? And why did Denaerys exile Jorah? Ok, he was spying for Varys at first, but then he became devoted to her and has risked his life many times ever since. He deserves her trust. He could have left her after being reinstated instead of crossing deserts and fighting nomads and mercenaries at her behest. Besides he is her only reliable advisor, how is she going to replace him? Stupid, ungrateful . Good luck at ruling with Sir Barristan as an advisor. I feel sad for Jorah.
    Because she is an imature child.
    The situation with Jorah, as I see it, is yet another example by Martin to show that Dany is not, at least at the present, fit for rule.
    I think is another way to show, us that Dany, is an Imature child, with basic notions, of right or wrong, she might be well intentioned, but she lacks the experience of life. I think that is very underlined, again, and again. It doesnt mean she would not grow to be a formidable ruler, and leader one day.
    On another note, I don't particularly like the white-washing of Tyrion's character that has been done throughout the show, but really, making fun of retards? Was it bring your 13 year old to work day at the writing department?
    I didnt get that at all from that scene, in fact, i would say its the oposite, tyrion, actualy found some atatchment, and compassion to this cousin of them troughout his life.

Yeah, I read that on-line this morning. . .hope it holds true. Aside from a well-choreographed fight scene, the Mountain adds almost nothing to the show.
    It is no chance, that they call oberyn the Red Viper. The mountain, was dead, since the moment the spear struck him for the first time, in the end Oberyn killed that. What is interesting now is how the Martells will react to Oberyn Deaths, and what will happen to Tyrion.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 02, 2014 at 02:17 PM.

The issue you guys are having with Danny is another testament to how changing the order of things or what seems minor can have a big impact.In the books, her choice of exiling Jorah (twice exiled, poor man) is made after she faces two betrayals at the same time and also Jorah confesses to have reported to KG even as late as Qarth.In the novel, these facts and how Danny reacts emotionally (in the books she is furious and hearthbroken, in the show she is icy) makes it easier to accept it all.

Four season in I think it's clear that the two showrunners are botching even some elements that could easily be done better and are not so difficult to adapt, they are clearly less talented at storytelling than GRRM or other HBO showrunners.
    Last edited by Caesar Germanico; June 02, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

The issue you guys are having with Danny is another testament to how changing the order of things or what seems minor can have a big impact.In the books, her choice of exiling Jorah (twice exiled, poor man) is made after she faces two betrayals at the same time and also Jorah confesses to have reported to KG even as late as Qarth.In the novel, these facts and how Danny reacts emotionally (in the books she is furious and hearthbroken, in the show she is icy) makes it easier to accept it all.
    They have also removed all the prophetic elements that she is obsessed with and is probably one of the main things contributing to her madness. We've seen Quaithe, what, twice? Also the Undying and the 3 betrayals, these elements so far have not been worked into the show.

Four season in I think it's clear that the two showrunners are botching even some elements that could easily be done better and are not so difficult to adapt, they are clearly less talented at storytelling than GRRM or other HBO showrunners.
    This season in particular, anytime that they have gone "off-script" it has been painfully bad. I haven't a clue why, it's the same writers that brought us the great exchanges between Roose and Walder Frey, or the Varys and Littlefinger scenes (these have been criticized, sure). It's strange because in seasons past, these moments were quite good. It feels like amateur hour now, plot-lines brainstormed on tumblr and "witty" "edgy" (not) dialogue and cinematics

Comes Domesticorum

I'll just add my two cents to the criticism here in that Danny's mistakes in the show are somehow passed off strength, ability, or even good ruling, since she still seems to be the poster child of "everything as it should be" according to the show's writers. If you look at her actions, even in the show, without the lens of dialog or acting, it would definitely appear to say that she is a weak ruler, which is the basis for the improvement in leadership she might experience if she stays long enough at it.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I think that by now most people will have guessed that Clegane is dead anyways, right? maybe the show didn't do such a great job at clarifying it (spits of blood right after crushing the Viper on the Mountain's part would have worked).

Having him die right there would've worked as a sort of compensation. I mean, considering that Oberyn ended up being quite a favourite among viewers.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I am still sad about Oberyn, and also a bit alarmed that it made me sad/angry. I suppose this happened cause Oberyn was a decent person and fought for a good cause, and he was killed in the worst possible way by the biggest POS in this series.
    And because he did not get any justice. I mean, even if the Mountain dies of his wounds, Oberyn's ultimate goal had been Tywin all along. Damn, Oberyn, why did you have to go like that? I am still sad as well.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Yes but Bran's less prominent in the book and less important to the overall structure of things.
    Jayz I dunno.
    Definitely not concerning the Others anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think the episode made it clear that he had his testicles removed, not his penis, so he's not capable of impregnating but certainly capable of love-making.
    He should have had both removed. As in, he had them both cut off in the books, I don't have anything against him. :
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Even I know it was coming, It is very shocking and grusome death. RIP Red Viper.
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

My concern is that, looking at the promo for Episode 9. . .it seems to be entirely focused on the Wall. In fact, it's the only GoT promo I can ever remember that only focuses on one section of the world.

I want to know what happens to Tyrion!
    Son of PW

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I think the episode made it clear that he had his testicles removed, not his penis, so he's not capable of impregnating but certainly capable of love-making.
    I am sorry but when the episode made it clear only his testicles were removed?It seems to me Danny and Missandei were only speculating, furthermore Grey Worm might have desires (especially psychological) with or without penis but he is not "certainly capable of love-making" if the former case is correct;without testicles the testosterone level is quite low and thus making the possibility of having a conventional sex life quite hard even if the penis is intact, furthermore, he had his testicles removed before puberty, how he managed to grow a normal functioning penis with low testosterone during his growth years?

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    They have also removed all the prophetic elements that she is obsessed with and is probably one of the main things contributing to her madness. We've seen Quaithe, what, twice? Also the Undying and the 3 betrayals, these elements so far have not been worked into the show.

You are right, I forgot to mention that.Prophetic elements are also notably missing in Cersei, though they can still fix that.
    Last edited by Caesar Germanico; June 02, 2014 at 03:58 PM.

Yeah I was kinda wondering how gruesome they'd depict it but I guess there was no way around.

At least we didn't see his skull explode so there's something

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Watched it there now, knew it was coming but damn. The way his sense of invulnerability just vanished when Clegane jammed his thumbs into his eyes was amazing. Alas, he was a brilliant character, shame he never got to Tywin up.

The Unsullied couldn't have sex but I remember some of them still went to brothels to watch.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    My concern is that, looking at the promo for Episode 9. . .it seems to be entirely focused on the Wall. In fact, it's the only GoT promo I can ever remember that only focuses on one section of the world.

I want to know what happens to Tyrion!
    Wiki can help there

(i had to check, cause i was very annoyed with this episode. Can't say i was considerably less annoyed after i read the wikis though).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC