Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Spoiler S04E02
    Honestly Jack Gleeson didn't do a very good job playing Joffrey. A better portrayal would have at least found something redeeming in his throughly unlikable character. There was no nuance to his performace. It was strictly one dimensional. As a young actor, he's probably going to have great difficulty finding work now. In a sense he really blew it. Do you realize that while he's slender, that he's 21?

He's probably going to have to do lots of independent films and take some chances or else be forever typecast and in the most detestible way.

Many actors have been diabolical and still we liked seeing them immerse themselves in that character. Here we have Joffrey as a weasel. I'm not certain that's accurate. He's menacing, cruel, impulsive, and deeply mentally bent by being both a Lannister and a faux Baratheon. Such a character would probably be assertive on the screen, even while being partially what Martin desires, an actor must bring something more, or else be simply a robot.
    [
    He has given up acting in favor of an academical career, and you have no clue. His performance was absolutely fantastic and completely true to the source material.

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

So,
    spoiler
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Are they making Shae take the role of Tysha, and Tyrion will end up looking for her instead of you-know-whating her?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    So,
    spoiler
    Are they making Shae take the role of Tysha, and Tyrion will end up looking for her instead of you-know-whating her?
    Could be. Reducing the number of secondary characters for series is sensible.

Or maybe Bron is also on Tywin's payroll...wouldn't surprise me.

He has given up acting in favor of an academical career, and you have no clue. His performance was absolutely fantastic and completely true to the source material.
    I wouldnt say fantastical at all. He was ok, the character is suposed to be distastefull anyway , and i bet he did exactly what the directors wanted, on that it might be the directors fault, that his character seems one dimensional. Because it was intencional, but while doing so, they portray a quite interesting character.. i mean in the show, i never cared about him or miss him in the scenes ( besides hating the litle prick), Cercei, however is a diferent matter, there is a character that i hate, but love watching her in the show.

He's probably going to have to do lots of independent films and take some chances or else be forever typecast and in the most detestible way.
    Not that isnt a bad thing at all, it also depends what you mean by independent films.... alot of independent films are master pieces of cinema, and in some can be blockbusters too....
    Also you are asuming that getting a role in an indie film is easier... well it isnt. Getting a role in bad productions might be easy, but independent films arent the same as bad productions.

Overall while i liked this episode, i prefered the first one so far.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 14, 2014 at 07:44 AM.

Poor tyrion, he always get blamed. First for Bran's fall and now this in episode 2. Good episode.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Ah now, Rubicon Decision is entitled to his opinion. Even if it is completely wrong

My friend is in college with Jack and he is supposed to be lovely( he is also a scholar in Trinity which means he can live there for free and gets loads of other privilages)

I think he was fantastic as Joffrey, his face, his general demeanour, his whiny teen posture and mannerisms. But someone will always find fault in something.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Dunno if any of you two have read the books, he nailed it.

Joffrey on a dime.

Yeah the kid who played joffrey was perfect for this role and did it tremendously. Right from the very start he showed a very dangerous and unpredictable side, when he attacks Arya's friend, the butcher's boy, mika. "A butcher's boy who wants to be a knight. eh?"

Warning: Some minor profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Poor tyrion, he always get blamed. First for Bran's fall and now this in episode 2. Good episode.
    Don't forget that Tywin also blames him for death of his mother while giving birth to him, and whole load of rumors that circulate around the King's Landing.

Anyway, about the assassination:
    I was rewatching the scene, it was well done. On the first glance it looks like Tyrion is most likely assassin, but if you play it again, know what to look for, you can see almost everything, the assassin pocketing the poison from its hiding place, almost unnoticeable exchange of looks before poisoning the cup (which isn't shown) and also a hint that Tyrion didn't do it (you can see that the cup wasn't poisoned when he was pouring the wine, as Margaery took a sip from it too, and when serving the fatal dose he didn't have opportunity to slip it in).

Senator

Oh yeah, Queen of Thorns stealing a stone from the necklace has gone viral with snapshots everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    Oh yeah, Queen of Thorns stealing a stone from the necklace has gone viral with snapshots everywhere
    That's one thing that someone who didn't read the books won't get, as the scene from book 1 where this poison was introduced wasn't in series IIRC.

Good episode.

However I didn't get why they changed the motive for Florent's burining, IIRC in the books he was burned for treason.Perhaps they really want to make Stannis into a villain.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    Good episode.

However I didn't get why they changed the motive for Florent's burining, IIRC in the books he was burned for treason.Perhaps they really want to make Stannis into a villain.
    And they burnt the wrong florent (R'hollor fanatic) to boot. In the show Stannis will die after he straps himself to a wildfire vest and blows himself up in King's Landing. OTOH Shireen is so adorable, she is not taking any from Mel. Really makes her look like her father's daughter.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Gleason did a good job portraying Joffrey with his acting, but he was physically a poor match. Joffrey was supposed to be very handsome, tall and strong for his age, and have blonde curly hair.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Speaking of blond...what the hell happened with Jamie's hair?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Comes Domesticorum

I was wondering the same thing last episode. Can't really explain it, but I doubt it can be explained by his captivity and lack of hygiene during that time.

Oh, come on now, another murder on another wedding day...playing the same card twice is ing cheap, Martin. At least that little deserved to go down bad. Anyway, I didn't quite understand who was behind the poisoning. Did the Spanish prince frame Tyrion? And why is that retard Stannis burning the few supporters he has left?
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Silenced Ape's Avatar Vicarius

Happiness across the Seven Kingdoms!

One thing that is a bit annoying about the show is the fact that all the young actors are obviously going through puberty and now look sooo much different than when they started. I don't really recall how long the books cover, but it's not years i don't think. It would have been great if they filmed this season and next season together just to make sure Bran, Arya, and so forth don't look so much older as the show progresses. I mean looking at Arya and Bran now they both look much different and like a foot taller than they did at the show start.

Season Four

vs
    Season One

Comes Domesticorum

To be honest, a longer passage of time is something that makes more sense in my mind than the very rapid progression in the books.