Thread: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 8 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Mycroft of the Iron Bank figured out that the best way to get the money he has lent the Iron Throne back is to not let the country stabilise, not let the economy and argiculture recover, not to allow that taxes may fill the royal coffins and ease an inexperienced king's rule, but to issue instead new loans and fund a second round of civil war that will cause further depredations, ruin more landowners and disrupt trade, so that the uncharismatic new king he hopes to put on the throne may have an even harder task of paying back an even larger sum, while his lack of popularity in conjunction with heavy taxation makes the sparking of a revolt possible at any moment. Most well-thought plan ever or what?
    Last edited by Timoleon of Korinthos; May 13, 2014 at 05:04 PM.
    "Blessed is he who learns how to engage in inquiry, with no impulse to hurt his countrymen or to pursue wrongful actions, but perceives the order of the immortal and ageless nature, how it is structured."
    Euripides

"This is the disease of curiosity. It is this which drives to try and discover the secrets of nature, those secrets which are beyond our understanding, which avails us nothing and which man should not wish to learn."
    Augustine

Default Re: Game of Thrones: TV Series - Season 4 (Book spoilers in tags with warning)

Quote Originally Posted by Timoleon of Korinthos View Post
    Mycroft of the Iron Bank figured out that the best way to get the money he has lent the Iron Throne back is to not let the country stabilise, not let the economy and argiculture recover, not to allow that taxes may fill the royal coffins and ease an inexperienced king's rule, but to issue instead new loans and fund a second round of civil war that will cause further depredations, ruin more landowners and disrupt trade, so that the uncharismatic new king he hopes to put on the throne may have an even harder task of paying back an even larger sum, while his lack of popularity in conjunction with heavy taxation makes the sparking of a revolt possible at any moment. Most well-thought plan ever or what?
    In the books, Cersei tells the Iron Bank to stuff itself. This is why they then go to Stannis. Obviously it happens backwards in the show, so this is yet another example of a wonky story line that doesnt really make sense, all because they decided to get "creative" and put their own little "clever" spin on the story.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    In the books, Cersei tells the Iron Bank to stuff itself. This is why they then go to Stannis. Obviously it happens backwards in the show, so this is yet another example of a wonky story line that doesnt really make sense, all because they decided to get "creative" and put their own little "clever" spin on the story.
    Wow. Cersei of the novels is an even more reckless dolt than she is in the show! The producers of Game of Thrones have so far conveyed that idea fairly well, but this would have been a better plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Wow. Cersei of the novels is an even more reckless dolt than she is in the show! The producers of Game of Thrones have so far conveyed that idea fairly well, but this would have been a better plot device.
    She basically has no respect for the Iron Bank, the warnings we've heard all this season and last season, this is common knowledge in Westeros, but Cersei is scornful of the Iron Bank and she planned to start her own bank backed by the Lannister mines that would absorb the Iron Bank's role in Westeros. It's one of her few good ideas, and it's shot to pieces by the show-canon already (the Lannister mines are dry, magically)

Quote Originally Posted by mike^_^ View Post
    It's one of her few good ideas,

Not really.And this is getting spoilery.

They are mantaining Stannis alive, but not much else.I don't think that the agreement meant that the Iron Bank has now completely ditched the Lannisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Germanico View Post
    Not really.And this is getting spoilery.
    How? You're suggesting that it is beneficial to the royal house that the Iron Bank holds the purse strings.

They are mantaining Stannis alive, but not much else.I don't think that the agreement meant that the Iron Bank has now completely ditched the Lannisters.
    It's hard to imagine how it would mean anything but that. The Iron Bank is now backing Stannis in a civil war for the iron throne. If the Lannisters even intended to keep up payments to the Iron Bank, why would they do so now that the Iron Bank has just given Stannis a fat sack of gold to prosecute his war against the crown?

During Robert's rebellion castle of Dragonstone was given to Stannis on purpose because robert wanted a firm rule, stabilized castle and income source. At least that's what i saw in one of the lore videos of GoT. So whatever Davos said to convince the bankers makes sense here.

The part when they mention about the current king and other lannisters was simply to show them that these guys wouldn't be able to pay them back. Especially after when a 67 old guy like Twin dies, & as long as Stannis is alive, war isn't going to be over anyways. So it would be best for the Iron Bank to place a king who is true to their word and stablise the country as soon as possible. So lending him more money might ensure that.

Atleast that's how i saw it, but the book story where cersei fecks it all would've made more sense, yeah.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Storms end was given to Stannis, not dragon stone. He only got dragon stone after the war, basically an insult because their infant brother renly was given the powerful family seat and kingdom with it while stannis who helped win the war is given a useless rock with the pretense that it's an honor.

As to the iron bank, yeah the show ruined the reasoning for supporting Stannis. Only if they knew the iron throne couldn't repay their debts would they support Stannis.

Now, how the was tywin so old? Wasn't he only in his late forties in the book? I know they've made everyone a bit older but that's a bit ridiculous, ruins his character.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Ulyaoth View Post
    Storms end was given to Stannis, not dragon stone. He only got dragon stone after the war, basically an insult because their infant brother renly was given the powerful family seat and kingdom with it while stannis who helped win the war is given a useless rock with the pretense that it's an honor.
    I don't think Stannis was ever given Storms end. Robert was the eldest son and had it, then after his rebellion against the mad king he told stannis to defend storm's end for him. And when they won the war he gave storms end to his youngest brother renly and dragonstone to stannis since he wanted him to be there as he knew it needed a strong powerful lord for that castle to make it under his control more easily. Moreover Dragonstone was always seen as a castle of the heir or the next in line. At the time Robert had no children so he also wanted to give that impression to Stannis. Which he obviously didn't get.

However Stannis didn't see it that way. He took it as an insult that it was given to renly since he was inexperienced and didn't even fought, but robert's reason as a king were sensible. Moreover he also felt unhappy when credit for lifting storm's end siege was given to Eddard and that he didn't appreciated Stannis' contribution, and a very tough one imo, for holding the castle in the first place.

That's what i saw in the DVDs (Lore videos) so i could be wrong if it's different in books. I haven't read them.
    Now, how the was tywin so old? Wasn't he only in his late forties in the book? I know they've made everyone a bit older but that's a bit ridiculous, ruins his character.
    Show characters are older and i like that. Jamie is a 40 year old knight, as Joffery was mocking him in one scene before the purple wedding. So Tywin being 67 is okay imo.

I think it's best not to expect too much from Robert's "subtlety" during his rule as a king. Stannis didn't need to get the implicit message of being next in line because he was next in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
    I think it's best not to expect too much from Robert's "subtlety" during his rule as a king. Stannis didn't need to get the implicit message of being next in line because he was next in line.
    Yeah, and i'm not implying that because i think Robert wasn't good with such things anyway. In the lore video it was just mentioned that he only needed stannis to be there to maintain order and get it more under the rule of new king whom they saw and referred to as 'usurper'. However Stannis didn't took it well and felt differently. I totally get that and which is why i personally find him my favourite character, although people say that his character in the show has been butchered.

I'm only saying that, during the reign of Targaryens, Dragonstone was always was under the rule of the next heir.

Protector Domesticus

If theres one thing Crusader Kings has taught me, its that the Brothers of the King are always resentful pricks.

Quote Originally Posted by SLN445 View Post
    If theres one thing Crusader Kings has taught me, its that the Brothers of the King are always resentful pricks.
    In case of Stannis i get that and moreover Robert never loved him. He never thanked Stannis for withholding the siege for that long and instead thanked and celebrated Eddard's effort of lifting it. Eddard was the one he always loved as a brother not Stannis.

Also during the Greyjoy rebellion Stannis did his duty and defeated the enemy and yet he wasn't thanked by Robert again and never asked of whether he liked being the lord of Dragonstone or not. Robert's reason is something i agree with but you have to tell your own brother why you find him more suitable for a task and that you appreciate every step and things he has done for him. And every now and then a hug can do wonders between brothers. Robert was busy drinking and whoring. It was Jon Arryn & Stannis in his small council who ran his kingdom. Okay i think it's better to copy paste lol:
    Despite his loyalty and service to his brother Robert, Stannis feels Robert has given him little in return. Instead of thanking him for holding Storm's End against the Tyrells he thanked Eddard Stark for lifting the siege instead. Instead of thanking Stannis for capturing Dragonstone for him, Robert blamed Stannis for the escape of the Targaryen children.[2] Stannis helped Jon Arryn, Robert's Hand of the King, in ruling the kingdoms but received little or no acknowledgement or thanks from his elder brother, who spent his time, hunting, drinking and whoring. Stannis never complained publicly since service without expectation of reward was required of him in his positions, although he often did so privately to Robert and Cersei.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Stannis_Baratheon

Okay i may be sounding like Davos Seaworth.

Indefinitely Banned

The speech at the end was amazing by the little man.He owned the whole episode.What a actor.Trial by combat.Wow hope he wins.

Silenced Ape's Avatar Vicarius

He was about 58 in the books I think.

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

I guess that makes sense he was aerys hand for almost twenty years right?
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Al this talk makes me wonder about the future of kings landing. My guess would be austerity, austerity, and oh more austerity.. just because there is no alternative... they cleary are living and breathing above their possibilities.
    That is until the bankers will be reminded what real power is like, when Danny unleashes her Dragons and her unsulied on everything.
    I mean i hope... that or winter comes.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM.

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Al this talk makes me wonder about the future of kings landing. My guess would be austerity, austerity, and oh more austerity.. just because there is no alternative... they cleary are living and breathing above their possibilities.
    That is until the bankers will be reminded what real power is like, when Danny unleashes her Dragons and her unsulied on everything.
    I mean i hope... that or winter comes.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Raise your hand if you really like Oberyn

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

As many others have said already: Robert foolishly gave Dragonstone to Stannis because he believed it was a worthier and nobler house than Storm's End and well, truth is it wasn't and Stannis felt wronged. But seriously can we blame Robert for it? he wasn't much more than a great warrior with poor ruling skills and some rather unhealthy habits so...

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Well he shouldn't have become king in the first place