Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

  1. #1
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    50
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    The Gatling gun was never used in a major engagement during the war, yet I just faced a Union army in July 1861 that was equipped with it. This makes an otherwise excellent game almost unplayable.

  2. #2
    Miles
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    127
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Total War games are all about "what if". The Gatling gun was designed by the American inventor Dr. Richard J. Gatling in 1861 and patented in 1862. Politics kept it from service, not availability. So you can see that it would have been available for the war. Just because historically it wasn't used that much doesn't mean the player should be barred from its use also.
    Last edited by jpaa1701; June 17, 2012 at 02:39 AM.

    An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.


  3. #3
    TheRomanRuler's Avatar Princeps Posterior
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,705
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by jpaa1701 View Post
    Total War games are all about "what if". The Gatling gun was designed by the American inventor Dr. Richard J. Gatling in 1861 and patented in 1862. Politics kept it from service, not availability. So you can see that it would have been available for the war. Just because historically it wasn't used that much doesn't mean the player should be barred from its use also.
    Still it sucks, perhaps it can be maintained in Single&Multiplayer, but removed from campaign?

    "History is written by victors" - Winston Churchill

  4. #4
    [NC]Master's Avatar Signifer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    245
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    best would be if there would be a event in recruiting it like the generals and the event would be late 1863 or in 1864

  5. #5
    ulb's Avatar Miles
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    117
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by [NC]Master View Post
    best would be if there would be a event in recruiting it like the generals and the event would be late 1863 or in 1864
    Agreed!!!

  6. #6
    Tiro
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Stafford County, Virginia
    Posts
    65
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    i think we sould keep it in campagin but maybe increase the price a little

  7. #7
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    50
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    I could live with an event that triggered their use so long as it was early 1865. I think the idea to make them expensive is also a good one. Again, this is a truely great game otherwise.

  8. #8
    Russ_Ace's Avatar Supai
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    309
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    All you need is for your artillary to target it from a long way off before you launch an attack.

  9. #9
    Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Augsburg
    Posts
    2,175
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    And if we remove the gatling some other players will come up and say "where's the gatling? pls add it!! it would be so cool!!!!!"

    So obviously we can't make everyone happy and if the gatling ruins the game for you, well then it is ruined for you.

    Seriously that's not my problem.

  10. #10
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    50
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    And if we remove the gatling some other players will come up and say "where's the gatling? pls add it!! it would be so cool!!!!!"

    So obviously we can't make everyone happy and if the gatling ruins the game for you, well then it is ruined for you.

    Seriously that's not my problem.

    Why not just make it tied to an event in 1864/5 that would be accurate. To have it show up in 1861 is rather like saying: what would it have been like if tanks had been available? I am just seeking some historical accuracy.

  11. #11
    Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,099
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by tap11 View Post
    Why not just make it tied to an event in 1864/5 that would be accurate. To have it show up in 1861 is rather like saying: what would it have been like if tanks had been available? I am just seeking some historical accuracy.
    Yes, but we added the gatling gun back and its not balanced yet. Its not easy to say: Spawn in 1864...
    We are working on many events like those gatling event and if you guys would know, what we are planning, you would give us more time.
    So prepare for some new updates, to get that historical accuracy. But let us some time to add more stuff and rebalance the current features
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

  12. #12
    Tiro
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    50
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Yes, but we added the gatling gun back and its not balanced yet. Its not easy to say: Spawn in 1864...
    We are working on many events like those gatling event and if you guys would know, what we are planning, you would give us more time.
    So prepare for some new updates, to get that historical accuracy. But let us some time to add more stuff and rebalance the current features
    Sounds good to me. Thanks for the response. I do love the game and you guys have done a great job.

  13. #13
    paradamed's Avatar Equites Alares
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Belo Horizonte, Brasil
    Posts
    5,578
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Pls, dont remove the gatling gun. For those saying it unbalance the game all I say is that is so easy to counter it due to the limited range. Just use artillery to destroy it. I also have to say it brings something unique to the mod.

  14. #14
    jamson's Avatar Taihō no heishi
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    489
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Keep it the way it is.
    All you have to do is to decide what to do with the time given to you.

  15. #15
    Minas Moth's Avatar Sabre of Secession
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    1,341
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by tap11 View Post
    The Gatling gun was never used in a major engagement during the war, yet I just faced a Union army in July 1861 that was equipped with it. This makes an otherwise excellent game almost unplayable.
    I honestly fail to see how a Gatling Gun makes your game unplayable I mean, if you want to take it out with sending infantry regiments directly on it, then honestly, your army deserved to be ruined. for all its might against infantry units at close ranges, Gatling is probably the most vulnerable unit to artillery fire... a few volleys from Napoleon or light battery will do the trick... so I don't understand your aversion to it...

    The use of Gatling gun was an issue because no one knew how to use it. Most of the people considered it an artillery piece so it was deployed with an artillery. but because of its limited range it was nearly useless as ans artillery weapon. Technical difficulties also hampered its introduction to the Army, although some commander purchased gating guns for their own accord.

    Again, i really don't understand what's the problem with Gatling... personally I hope that one day we will introduce Confederate Racketeers also. They were nearly useless historically but they would be a nice sight to see imo.

  16. #16
    Post Hoc's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,468
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    not historical therefore should be removed. But, if you hate it so much just mod the unit limit to 1 or 0.
    Last edited by Post Hoc; June 18, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

  17. #17
    Miles
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    127
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    Quote Originally Posted by matekaitis View Post
    not historical therefore should be removed.
    What do you mean not historical? A working prototype was made before the war even started. Politics, not availability prevented its wide use during the war. Or are you saying that anything that didn't actually happen during the war shouldn't be allowed? Throw the "what if" part of Total War out the window? It sounds like the naysayers want this game scripted to the point that the player no longer has any choices beyond what actually happened. To turn this mod from a true game to just an interactive movie of the war. If I want to play as the Confederates and win the war in the end, I should be allowed. Oh, sorry, "not historical". If I want to make an army of nothing but the elite units and march them at the enemy, I should be allowed. Oh, sorry, also "not historical". This game is all about choice. Give the players access to the units and technology that were available and see what we can do with it. Not limit us just because it didn't actually happen. I like the way the modders have put together this mod. The only limitation I can realistically see for the Gatling Gun is have it unlocked by research fairly early. A Gatling Gun working prototype was produced in 1861, patented and in production in 1862. So historically, it was available for use during the war. Only the politics of the day prevented its wide spread use.

    An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.


  18. #18
    Post Hoc's Avatar Princeps Prior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,468
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    The US didnt adopt it until after the war and it only saw combat once i believe. Thats what i mean by historical. Im not trying to argue with you about what ifs. The entire game is a what if scenario. from a pure historical aspect, the gun shouldnt be in the game. any how there is no need for an argument about things so easily fixed.



    Quote Originally Posted by jpaa1701 View Post
    Or are you saying that anything that didn't actually happen during the war shouldn't be allowed? Throw the "what if" part of Total War out the window?
    ^that is absurd. What would be the point in playing the game if everything happend the way history was written.
    Last edited by Post Hoc; June 18, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

  19. #19
    Miles
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    127
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    On this, I disagree. The gun was available at the beginning of the war. The US Army could have adopted and used it from the outset if it wanted to. The reason they didn't was because Dr. Gatling was being accused of being a "copperhead", or a Democrat living in the north and opposed to the war, because of his roots in North Carolina though it was never proven. The US government could not be seen purchasing war materials from someone suspected of having anti-war sentiments. For this very reason I think the gatling gun has a place in the game for the "what if". What if the US government had gotten over the political problems and adopted from the outset? If the gun hadn't been invented and produced until after the war, I would agree that it would have no place in the mod. But since it did in fact exist, and multiples produced at the beginning of the war I think it should be an option for the player to use as if the political ramifications had been overcome.

    An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and unguarded.


  20. #20
    delmat's Avatar Cornicularius
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Dalmatia, Croatia
    Posts
    267
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0

    Default Re: The Gatling Gun Must be Removed

    I don't know why everybody is so strictly against the gatling? come on guys it's not that unhistorical like a tank, or a laser gun, it really existed in that time and was even used..I want it to stay as it is because it adds some fun&variety and it's not like you see it in every battle..but who can make everyone happy..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •