Thread: Inquisitor mini-mod idea: ecclesia non novit sanguinem? (Option to execute heretic or PO Pope.)

Default Inquisitor mini-mod idea: ecclesia non novit sanguinem? (Option to execute heretic or PO Pope.)

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I'm also over at totalwar.com, but the forums seem pretty dead, so I thought I'd try here. This is pretty much a repost of something I've posted over there.

Anyway, like everyone, I find the Inquisition a pain. I have a mod idea, and I'm wondering whether it would be viable:

Basically, it would change inquisitorial denunciation to make it a bit less of an assassination and a bit more of a dilemma. An option box would pop up that is much like the "bride presented," "suitable husband," or "guild offers to build in your city" boxes: it would go a bit like this:

The Inquisition has found this person guilty of impenitent heresy and relaxed him to the secular arm. As the ruling secular authority, it is your responsibility to punish the heretic for his crimes. Do you execute him?
    If you say "yes," your agent/family member dies, as usual, and you may get a small increase in standing with the Pope. If you say "no," your agent/family member lives, but you take a big hit to Papal relations.

There could also be issues of jurisdiction (If a French priest is wandering around Spain and gets convicted of heresy, who has the jurisdiction to punish him, the French crown or the Spanish crown?), which I went into in my previous post, but overall that's probably too much of a hassle. The simplest approach is probably just to make factions responsible for their agents and family members regardless of location.

Would this be moddable? Would it be too cheesy to neuter the inquisition thus?

Default Re: Inquisitor mini-mod idea: ecclesia non novit sanguinem? (Option to execute heretic or PO Pope.)

I think this is an interesting idea. You could even add a heretic trait to the denounced. Go for it. Whether anyone would download it is a different matter. Maybe if you attached it to a larger mod of medieval 2 like the Kingdoms and Empires mod. They are looking for scripters and your idea would fit what they are trying to accomplish.
    Last edited by tonplan; April 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Default Re: Inquisitor mini-mod idea: ecclesia non novit sanguinem? (Option to execute heretic or PO Pope.)

Does anyone know the extent to which this is feasible? I know that descriptions of pop-up boxes like marriage proposals are in event_strings.txt, but I don't know what else needs to be changed to create a new pop-up box for dealing with heretics.