Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add Rebel Yell?

Default Add Rebel Yell?

Maybe you can give some specific units the ability to scare enemies with a passive ability called rebel yell?

I wouldn't mind sending wave after wave of rebels into melee if I heard such a scary warcry.
    This signature is clickable

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Add Rebel Yell?

There's no option in ETW for a warcry-esc feature, so there probably won't be, unless they replace the sound for charging units with it.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Chernov View Post
    There's no option in ETW for a warcry-esc feature, so there probably won't be, unless they replace the sound for charging units with it.
    actually, to my understanding there is a way to add a rebel yell and a custom button to enable it in ETW engine. I read it in one of the Hinkel's posts. I believe we are going to implement that in 3.4 or some other advanced version.

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

I think this video tells more then words

--------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

delmat's Avatar Tiro

nice video hinkel! can't wait to scare the out of yankees when my guys charge! I really didn't think this rebel yell thing would be possible to make, but you manage to include it
    anyway a bit off topic but did you noticed that union irish brigade unit cap is just maximum one unit in custom battles while all other elite infantry regiments/brigades get at least two maximum units? I mentioned that in feedback thread just after the 3.3 release but I don't know if anyone noticed it..also the bayonets are not working as they should but you already know that..all regular+elite infantry units have socket bayonets, volunteers don't have neither them nor ability to put them..cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    I think this video tells more then words

When will we see this feature?

HOT DAMN! That's amazing!

rep+1

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

If we all turn out when the rebels shout the south shall rise again

Also nice video +rep

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh really nice guys!

Well done and +rep!

Thank you guys.
    As you noticed, this is a pretty old video (with the 2 static flags). But we will include such a button in 3.4 of course, but it might be a bit different to use.

In that video above, I replaced the grenade yell with the rebel yell. The grenades were changed to 0 range and 0 strenght. So a player has to click and declick the button asap, to hear the yell and to avoid misusing the grenades. But with a new scripter in the team, we might be able to generate completly new buttons for u
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

May be you could add the General "rally troop" button?

Thank you guys.
    As you noticed, this is a pretty old video (with the 2 static flags). But we will include such a button in 3.4 of course, but it might be a bit different to use.

In that video above, I replaced the grenade yell with the rebel yell. The grenades were changed to 0 range and 0 strenght. So a player has to click and declick the button asap, to hear the yell and to avoid misusing the grenades. But with a new scripter in the team, we might be able to generate completly new buttons for u
    So will using the rebel yell have any actual use in combat? Is it possible to take the scare enemies passive ability from elephants and give it to infantry?

Don504's Avatar Ordinarius

Pretty cool, pretty cool
    Southern troops give the same frightening feelings as an elephant! I would fight with them any day

Explore the word and conquer it all.

Go to 04:10 for the relevant part.

I do Civil War re-enacting with my dad all the time. We represent the 7th Texas Company I - The Invincibles. This isn't our unit, but this is what a real rebel yell sounds like. Sounds kind of like raiding Indians.

Awesome job Hinkel for implementing this!
    Last edited by Admiral Piett; June 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by matekaitis View Post
    Thanks for posting that, havn't ever seen that video. They say the first rebel yell was at 1st Mannassas when Stonewall Jackson told his men, the 4th Virginia Infantry Regiment "Reserve your fire until they come within 50 yards! Then fire and give them the bayonet! And when you charge, yell like furies! And when they charged they yelled as loud as they could, although many soldiers in other regiments and in the west used Native American indian yells so there were said to be different types.

If you guys could see the size of the smile on my face!!
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

This one is an audio recording of a Confederate veteran doing the rebel yell. Towards the end of the video, they take his yell and replicate it many times to emulate a regiment of Confederates charging across the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Filmmaker View Post

This one is an audio recording of a Confederate veteran doing the rebel yell. Towards the end of the video, they take his yell and replicate it many times to emulate a regiment of Confederates charging across the battlefield.
    Yes, this is one rebel yell, out of hundret different yells. Nearly every regiment had another yell, some took the first yell of the stonewall brigade, other regiments did it different.
    About 95 % of the regiments didnt have contact with each other, so how could they know, what the yell sounds like? Thats why they made their own yells.

We took one of the historical researched yells (its the same you have above, just with a well better recording), done by the museum of the history of the confedercy. They made a study and recreated the yell with about 500 reenacters.
    Last edited by Hinkel; June 21, 2012 at 04:12 AM.

Yes, this is one rebel yell, out of hundret different yells. Nearly every regiment had another yell, some took the first yell of the stonewall brigade, other regiments did it different.
    About 95 % of the regiments didnt have contact with each other, so how could they know, what the yell sounds like? Thats why they made their own yells.

We took one of the historical researched yells (its the same you have above, just with a well better recording), done by the museum of the history of the confedercy. They made a study and recreated the yell with about 500 reenacters.
    I'm not pushing a point, bro. I just wanted to post some good examples for everyone. 500 re-enactors huh? That's a damn good turnout for a rebel yell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast