Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: [RELEASE] AOR 2.3, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [RELEASE] AOR 1.1, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS 2.1

Thanks a lot! and has we wrote before,good luck with your exams...

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [RELEASE] AOR 1.2, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS 2.1

i just realized i had the wrong link for patch 1.2 on page one, it still linked to patch 1.1 *smashes head against the nearest wall*
    i have corrected it ...
    Check out my AOR and balancing Mod for Third Age Total War

Default Re: [RELEASE] AOR 1.1, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by miskin View Post
    fightermedic, I appreciate that you try.
    Since I installed med II:tw+tatw+frogs just to play your mod, I didnt even try vanilla tatw.
    After the crashes I tried vanilla and ctds continued. So, it wasnt your mod causing crashes...
    Good luck on your mod and thank you again...
    Have u disabled UAC? OR perhapse changing your medieval2preference.CFG file to Read-Only could help( right mouse click, properties, Attributes at the bottom, Read-Only , Apply and OK.)
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuru
    hey, not sure what changes have been made to gondor since the alpha release but i just started a new campaign with the 1.2 patch and i gotta say, it's nigh unplayable. at game start my treasury is taking a -5000 hit. moving the capitol to Ethring helps only a little in reducing corruption penalties. Even taking E. osgiliath, the two western most regions of gondor, cair andros, and the settlement across the land bridge from pelergir within the first 4 turns i'm over 10,000 in debt with next to nothing as a profit. is this because of some subtle change in the .rwm i deleted to continue playing a previous eriador campaign or is playing as gondor just sposed to be this big a pain in the caboose?
    i increased the unit upkeep costs for 1.2, and yes, it's too much and i will reduce them for the next version, especially for professional units (actually i think i will upload this right now, for it really is a problem)

additionally gondor is a bit of a special case: it has by far the most units at the games start, and its units are very expensive too, due to their good equipment and above average training - first thing to do as gondor: disband any units that you can do without - building town halls with all your starting money to gain free upkeep slots also may be a wise decision

as usual: if you want to continue an old savegame don't forget to delete the patch's map.rwm before you copy it
    copy the patchs contents into you third age / data folder
    Last edited by fightermedic; July 22, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Many thanks!

Default Re: [RELEASE] AOR 1.3, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS 2.1

hey folks,
    i just finished my last exam for some time now, and will start on 2.0!
    my plans for 2.0 so far are:
    - include the heirs of isildur mod
    - an all new and better AOR system - to give you an example, what in 1.3 are 4 lines of code for 4 units will be this in 2.0:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { scotland, } and region_religion islam 10 and region_religion northmen 30
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { milan, anduin, turks, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion northmen 40 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { sicily, turks, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion numenorian 50 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { england, france, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion catholic 60 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { mongols, egypt, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion orthodox 60 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { dunland, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion native 50 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { venice, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion easterling 50 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { spain, } and region_religion islam 15 and region_religion southron 50 and hidden_resource mountains or hidden_resource grasland
    recruit_pool "Dwarven Wanderers" 1 0.05 2 0 requires factions { ered, moors, } and region_religion islam 20
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.05 2 0 requires factions { milan, scotland, anduin, } and region_religion northmen 30 and hidden_resource dale_rivers
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { milan, scotland, anduin, } and region_religion northmen 40 and hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { ered, moors, } and region_religion islam 40 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { sicily, turks, } and region_religion numenorian 60 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { spain, } and region_religion southron 60 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { dunland, } and region_religion native 60 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { england, france, portugal, } and region_religion catholic 70 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Athala Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { mongols, lorien, egypt, } and region_religion orthodox 60 and hidden_resource dale_rivers or hidden_resource rhovanion
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion numenorian 30 and factions { sicily, } or factions { turks, } and event_counter dunedain_turks 1
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { anduin, milan, scotland, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion northmen 60
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { turks, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion northmen 30
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { dunland, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion northmen 60
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { spain, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion northmen 60
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { venice, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion northmen 60
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { egypt, mongols, lorien, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion orthodox 40
    recruit_pool "Dunedain Rangers" 1 0.03 2 0 requires factions { ered, moors, } and hidden_resource dunedain and region_religion islam 60
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.06 3 0 requires factions { mongols, lorien, egypt, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion orthodox 30
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { turks, milan, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion northmen 70
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.05 3 0 requires factions { scotland, anduin, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion northmen 60
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { venice, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion easterling 70
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { spain, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion southron 70
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.04 2 0 requires factions { dunland, } and hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion native 70
    recruit_pool "Mirkwood Rangers" 1 0.05 2 0 requires hidden_resource hr_mirkwood and region_religion numenorian 60 and factions { sicily, } or factions { turks, } and event_counter dunedain_turks 1

francis86's Avatar Decanus

Awesome! just 1 question why black numenorean ranger wear a long skirt

Quote Originally Posted by francis86 View Post
    Awesome! just 1 question why black numenorean ranger wear a long skirt
    why wouldn't they wear a long skirt?
    you know, these days in middle earth you have to be prepared to enter the ballroom any time!

francis86's Avatar Decanus

[/QUOTE]you know, these days in middle earth you have to be prepared to enter the ballroom any time![/QUOTE]

XD good explanation

due to me being stupid and backing up the wrong file, i just lost all progress on the way to 2.0

a small update: all the mounted units are redone, so about 1/4 of the work on the way to version 2.0 is finished

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    a small update: all the mounted units are redone, so about 1/4 of the work on the way to version 2.0 is finished
    Good news! I though that you stoped working in this amazing mod because of your previous setback...

Waiting for your next release then! Keep up the good work!

Yea, im also waiting for your next release. Find this mod working good whit new faction and units, and still the end turns, does not takes forever

Hey, I really like this submod. The units are very balanced now, something I always found a bit lacking in the original FRoGS mod. I've been testing the units in some custom battles, and I got a suggestion. Some of the bodyguard units are really small, like the armoured Osgilliath Veterans and Elven Kinslayers. Now I know that they're supposed to be small-ish due to their very strong stats, but everything under 20 soldiers makes them a bit combat ineffective, imho. I personally think that something like around 40 soldiers would be more balanced, so they aren't getting trashed by larger units. You could also just increase their unit costs by the same margin as the unit sizes, so they're still balanced.
    Eagerly awaiting the next version of this.

always good to hear someone is enjoying all the stuff

as for the bodyguards:
    the Osgilliath Veterans and Elven Kinslayers and some other bodyguards are even smaller than the rank and file bodyguards, since they are unique units in the campain, and get more soldiers due to the general they are assigned to (e.g. boromir and elrond)
    the rank and file bodyguards are quite small for the following reason: in most other mods players form armies largely consisting of bodyguards, since they get losses replaced for free - i want to avoid this highly illogical behavior, you know, getting some of the best soldiers for free

also, consider this: why would every small noble in the kingdome get such a huge bodyguard? after all, those soldiers are supposed to be loyal retainers of a general, can't see every general have loads of loyal followers
    faction leader and heir units still are big enough, even with those reduced numbers, if you ask me - for them, there is some good reason to have a larger bodyguard
    furthermore, in most cases the general joins the battle to lead his soilders, not to fight himself in the thick of it, you really should keep your most important man out of the fighting - a general is supposed to win the battle by leading, not by slaying most men himself

i hope to have explained my reasoning a bit, further comments are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    always good to hear someone is enjoying all the stuff

as for the bodyguards:
    the Osgilliath Veterans and Elven Kinslayers and some other bodyguards are even smaller than the rank and file bodyguards, since they are unique units in the campain, and get more soldiers due to the general they are assigned to (e.g. boromir and elrond)
    the rank and file bodyguards are quite small for the following reason: in most other mods players form armies largely consisting of bodyguards, since they get losses replaced for free - i want to avoid this highly illogical behavior, you know, getting some of the best soldiers for free

also, consider this: why would every small noble in the kingdome get such a huge bodyguard? after all, those soldiers are supposed to be loyal retainers of a general, can't see every general have loads of loyal followers
    faction leader and heir units still are big enough, even with those reduced numbers, if you ask me - for them, there is some good reason to have a larger bodyguard
    furthermore, in most cases the general joins the battle to lead his soilders, not to fight himself in the thick of it, you really should keep your most important man out of the fighting - a general is supposed to win the battle by leading, not by slaying most men himself

i hope to have explained my reasoning a bit, further comments are welcome
    Thank you for your response, I'm glad that you're responding to the feedback given.

I understand the reasoning behind your choice. A general wouldn't have lots of loyal retainers, I agree on that. And yes, they should be made to command most of the time. Look, I've always liked the way how many of these generals were able to slaughter lots of enemies, and maybe I wanted to replicate this in the game a bit too much. While I know that leading your generals into the thick of the battle is a very risky move to say the least, it was quite tempting for me to do so. Maybe these smaller bodyguards will keep me from doing that.

Anyway, could you suggest some tactics to still make the bodyguard a valuable asset as a fighting unit? Maybe using them in combination with other troops, by flanking or holding positions? Thanks in advance.

since most bodyguards are mounted lancers, they will deal a heavy blow even with only 13 men if you charge a unit in the rear
    you have to retreat immediately after the charge though
    i once defeated 2 units of bandits (some 400 men) with only 13 mounted dunedain, so you see, they still deal a punch

those bodyguards that are not mounted have more men, and in case of dale or the silvan elves, can fight very well since they are archers, use those to kill the enemies elite units, dont waste them on the low ones, they have armour piercing arrows
    Last edited by fightermedic; August 20, 2012 at 06:59 AM.

I think the bodyguards, specially the mounted is good as it is. Its a pain in the ass to try to kill the generals of Rhun or Harrad, thay seams always to survive as the last man and then flee. Hope you fix some missed units cards, Goblin infanetry, Uruk raidres, one loke kahn unit (think its the archers) and eoreld milita. (at least i think i got the names right) is some that have peasants as cards.

And think i found a another bug, when some of my settlements as He is under siege by OmM and OoGB, they just retreat the round after, even though they are in far majority.

hey this mod is really awesome but every time when i end the turn it crashes when it's eriador's turn except when i play as eriador

Quote Originally Posted by bushmonster951 View Post
    hey this mod is really awesome but every time when i end the turn it crashes when it's eriador's turn except when i play as eriador
    does this happen from turn 1? if not, at which turn does it happen?
    can you upload your log file please? (should be in the "medieval total war\logs" folder)