Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [RELEASE] AOR 2.3, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon2 [RELEASE] AOR 2.3, a massive balancing submod for FRoGS

AOR mod v2.3

Well met fellow players! Today I'd like to present you my submod for Third Age 3.2, based on the excellent FROGS by David93, and in turn on many of those mods that FROGS is based on. The mod focuses on bug fixing, adding content and balancing.

so whats new in 2.3 compared to 1.3?
    - Completely reworked AOR system:
    1. The way culture works has been changed, you need to build up your own culture now to recruit foreign units
    2. All factions now recruit their own units faster in home territory, but slower in foreign territory
    3. You will recruit foreign units much slower than the faction who owns them
    4. Recruitment in general has been streamlined
    - New units
    - The Heirs of Isildor mod has been added, credits to Smoesville
    - Various balancing changes, Harad and the Ered Luin dwarfs got nerfed, they had been too strong before, since they border the map
    - Fixed missing unit cards and other smaller stuff
    - bugfixing

What does this do that vanilla 3.2 doesn't? The features in a nutshell:
    - a new Area of Recruitment system has been added, now most militia and noble units can only be recruited in a factions home territory, only professionals and semi-professionals can be recruited everywhere, also there are many more units specific to certain regions - check the region and barracks buildings for information if any special units can be recruited in a region
    - 4 new factions (dunland, lorien, ered luin, anduin vale)
    - a massive number of new units, many of them AOR units
    - new regions
    - complete rebalancing of all units in the game, see this thread for a general idea how they are balanced
    - the most excellent AUI mod has been added, credits to cedric37
    - completely rebalanced building tree
    - dunland, harad and rhun get their own cultures
    - better balancing of the factions on the campaign map - it often will happen that by as late as turn 70 no faction is getting the upper hand (if the player isn't doing just that of course)
    - you can revive Arnor, even if Aragorn dies, credits to Smoesville
    - some other minor changes

Download links:

AOR 2.0:
    http://www.moddb.com/games/medieval-...wnloads/aor-20

or:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/servi...ou?id=22305758

patch 2.3:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2xh3c3sippd3sp2
    (not save game compatible - check the install instructions if you want to complete an old savegame!)

installation instructions:
    - download and install FROGS (if you have installed an earlier version of my mod, you don't need to do this)
    - copy the content of the aor folder into the third age folder and agree to replace all files (if you are NOT asked to overwrite files, you are doing it wrong!)
    - do the same with patch 2.3 (again: if you are NOT asked to overwrite files, you are doing it wrong!)
    (attention: if you want to complete an earlier campaign of my submod, delete the map.rwm file IN THE FILES OF AOR 2.0 AND THE PATCH, before you copy them over the old version!)

IMPORTANT, if you are having CTDs when starting a battle:
    please delete descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt in your data folder
    if that doesn't help:
    turn off the automatic daylight savings, this is a vanilla bug that is causing trouble for some people

to-do list for future versions:
    - fix any CTDs that people might discover
    - some unit descriptions are no longer accurate ( a few buildings too)
    - a few of the new units are still incomplete - they are coded in but have placeholder models and descriptions, you might only notice them if you play eriador

enjoy and please give feedback

for those of you that don't download without a screenshot , here you go, a small teaser of dunland on the campaign map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

some screenshots of the new units:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Angmar Shortpikes

Unlike other Orcs of the misty mountain, this larger breed of Orcs from the former realm of the Witchking of Angmar are heavily armoured, well trained and relatively well disciplined soldiers, who wield their short pikes with some skill.

Beornings - like the old unit, but now with dogs!

Beornings, are a race of men who are descended from Beorn from whom they inherited their name and their love for the animals of the land. Therefore, when they go to battle, they are accompanied by the great dogs, that in times of peace guard their homes. In those times they dwell in the Vales of Anduin between Mirkwood and the Great River and guard the passes of the Misty Mountains from Orcs and Wargs.

Black Uruks of Moria

Black Uruks, powerfull and fast, the fellowship encountered these fearsome creatures in the mines of moria during the attack on Balins tomb. Sent from mordor, to ensure the dark lords will is carried out in the north, equiped by the massive resources of the mines of moria, these are some of the most fearsome warriors located in the misty mountains.

Dale Axemen

Any true northman is a warrior first and a farmer, trader or boatman second. The culture of warfare is taught in the very air of the north, it is sung of in every song from time immemorial. For Dale, the axe could be just as much the symbol of their nation as the bow. These axemen are simplistic but rough and ready soldiers who can be raised from the masses and sent out to fight in a short time. Although they have limited skills on the field they are a well suited to fight armoured opponets.

Durthang Archers

Durthang Archers are well trained Uruks with good defensive skills and armour. They form the elite of Sauron's Orcish armies.

Horseguard of the Men-i-Naugrim

The Old Forest Road, also known as Men-i-Naugrim ('Dwarf-Road') in Sindarin, was the name of the east road where it passed through the Anduin at the Old Ford and then through Mirkwood. The Enchanted river intersected it at a marshy point near the River Running. After Sauron's occupation of Dol Guldur, the forest of Mirkwood became more and more dark and dangerous, so most chose not to travel upon the Old Forest Road for fear of being attacked. Therefore a company of Heavy Horse Archers has been tasked with the duty to ensure secure passage. Those soldiers are mounted on swift horses and wear medium armour, suitable to be deployed quickly wherever needed, and to defeat most enemies before even being reached, but with some staying power in melee too.

Ungol Slavemasters

The Slavemasters of Cirith Ungol are Orcish swordsmen in good armour, who are trained to ambush their enemies. If they are not hunting slaves, their job is to guard the prisons of Cirith Ungol.

Black Numenoreans of Umbar

After the Rangers of Ithilien started their guerilla campaign against Sauron's forces west of the Anduin, he sent his secretive Black Númenorean Rangers, Dark Númenorian men of Umbar, to counter this threat. Silent, deadly, these archers wear heavier armour and have sturdier bows than the rangers of Ithilien, allowing them to get closer to the action, and prevail in the bloody close combat that often occurs when bands of Dark Rangers and Ithilien Rangers meet.

Twilight Guard

In the eerie golden half-light of Lothlorien, an elite band of Elven Knights keep guard in the very centre of Caras Galadhon. The Twilight Guard are the personal retainers of Galadriel and Celeborn since they left out of Valinor, many Ages ago, and as such, are some of the greatest warriors known by elf-kind.

Haradrian Desert Cavalry

A company of lightly armoured semi-professional spear-cavalry of the southern deserts. Riding on sturdy camels they provoke terror amongst horses.

Wainrider Chariots

The Wainriders were a confederation of Easterling tribes who were united by their hate of Gondor, fuelled by Sauron. Following the Great Plague which weakened Gondor, they started their raids in 1851 of the Third Age and attacked in full force five years later, defeating the Gondorian army and killing King Narmacil II. They rode in great wagons and chariots (which gave them their name), and raided the lands of Rhovanion, destroying or enslaving its people. Gondor gradually lost all of its possessions east of Anduin, save Ithilien, to them. The thirtieth king of Gondor, Calimehtar son of Narmacil, defeated the Wainriders in battle on the Dagorlad, buying some rest for his land.
    However the Wainriders struck back in 1944, allying themselves with the Haradrim of Near Harad and the Variags of Khand. They managed to kill King Ondoher and both his sons, but instead of riding on to Minas Anor and taking the city, they paused to celebrate. Meanwhile, general Eärnil of Gondor's southern army had defeated the Haradrim and rode north to defend his king. He came too late to rescue Ondoher, but managed to surprise and defeat the Wainriders in the Battle of the Camp. Eärnil was crowned king a year later. After this defeat the might of the Wainriders was broken, and their confederation collapsed. Now that the easterlings once more threaten the people of the west, some of them fight in the old way again.

AND MANY MANY MORE!

As this is based on FROGS, other than the already mentioned, credits go to the following mods:

Finally, some signature banners:
    Last edited by fightermedic; November 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: [Alpha Release] AOR mod, a submod for FROGS

Hell yeah! This is something a lot of people were waiting for. Thakns! I will download this asap (downloading Napoleon TW right now, it is 50% off at steam, only 10 bucks!)

Default Re: [Alpha Release] AOR mod, a submod for FROGS

just don't expect too much, it's called an alpha release for a reason
    should be mostly stable though, just not entirely finished

Civis

Default Re: [Alpha Release] AOR mod, a submod for FROGS that brings FRoME to 3.2

I can start your Submod, he crashes but the first image back on the desktop. Everything clean TATW 3.2 installed your mod in the third age 3 folders copied.
    UAC off! map.rwm deleted problem always, yet. What can it be?

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [Alpha Release] AOR mod, a submod for FROGS that brings FRoME to 3.2

Downloaded it. Going to try it now

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorry man, it crashes at startup
    Last edited by Kindjal83; June 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: .

thats bad, i tested it on my own pc and it worked
    i'm going to do a fresh 3.2 installation and test it again, give me a moment folks, maybe i just forgot some file!

edit: i forgot to include the EDU, stupid stupid me - hotfix is coming!
    Last edited by fightermedic; June 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

here is the hotfix:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9ga8g0hjyus872a

sorry for my stupidity, i hope now everything is working

at least you have the names bug fixed now too
    Last edited by fightermedic; June 16, 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    here is the hotfix: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9ga8g0hjyus872a sorry for my stupidity, i hope now everything is working at least you have the names bug fixed now too
    hello I'm sorry I have a problem, I downloaded and copied the game as it is written in the forum but when I go to start the game does not start, try to open the link you sent, but says it was removed by the user as I do?
    I apologize if my English is not clear

Tiro

Tested this for 10 turnes, so far so good )

Quote Originally Posted by ITC View Post
    Tested this for 10 turnes, so far so good )
    good to hear

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

My friend,this is AWSOME! Veery good indeed! Looking forward for the whole thing!!

Civis

Yes well functions! Plays Lorien and has ascertained, the Limlight fort (moth and Baily),Thoronenburg and Moria East Gate (Wooden Castle), but Construction Build like in a town. If market, Town sound can build etc. Do you can fixed or should be still like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jahmann View Post
    Yes well functions! Plays Lorien and has ascertained, the Limlight fort (moth and Baily),Thoronenburg and Moria East Gate (Wooden Castle), but Construction Build like in a town. If market, Town sound can build etc. Do you can fixed or should be still like that?
    if i do understand you right your question is if you should be able to build markets etc. in castles?
    yes, this is intened and not an error

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    if i do understand you right your question is if you should be able to build markets etc. in castles?
    yes, this is intened and not an error
    Yes, I have meant this with it! No mistake, wonderfully.
    Well runs, good work of you.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

So is alpha worst then beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Charger Bolt View Post
    So is alpha worst then beta?
    alpha = a release where not everything is included
    beta = a release where everything is included but that still isn't balanced/has some bugs
    gold = no game has reached this status yet it's that imaginary version of the game where everything is balanced and there are no bugs left

I cant get the submode to work. I have a clean install of Third age 3.2 then i take all the 5 aor fils unzip them whit winzip and take them togheter to one folder, this one i put in my third age folder, just as describet, I say yes to overwriting. Then i take the hotfix, I do the same, but when i try to start the game it crashes after the first loading screen, before it plays the movies

Im using Steam BTW, so have to copy the third age folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods to D:\Programmer\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\americas (amricas is just the new name so I can run it on steam)

And i did try to start normal vanilla 3.2 before ading the Aor files, just to be sure that Vanila workes.

Northman75's Avatar Tiro

Great work you did here, working fine so far (after just a few turns). There are a few things I noticed, is this supposed to be right that Lorien can recruit Bow and Sword Quendi from the High Elves? Even more strange to me is that all the good human factions can recruit the troops that are supposed to be rebel humans like - peasant archers, spear militia, peasant axemen, heavy axemen, sword militia, hunters, huntsmen and freemen (I hope that are all), thats a bit to much and feels just not right. For the Vale of Anduin faction there are some peasant unit cards lefts. Otherwise it looks really good, keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Northman75 View Post
    There are a few things I noticed, is this supposed to be right that Lorien can recruit Bow and Sword Quendi from the High Elves? Even more strange to me is that all the good human factions can recruit the troops that are supposed to be rebel humans like - peasant archers, spear militia, peasant axemen, heavy axemen, sword militia, hunters, huntsmen and freemen
    yes, in the lorien homelands all elven factions can recruit those two units - as they are not noldor but sindarin/teleri units - a few of those are living in lorien

most of the faction-un-specific-peasant units can be recruited by almost all factions, but only in certain regions, so no farmers from mount doom or moria

in general you will get al hell of a lot more different units in your army in this mod, but you will need them, as replenishment rates are very low for milita units - don't send your peasants to war if you can avoid it, or your population will dry out very quickly - they are only for dire circumstances - when you don't have the time to train professionals / semi-professionals (which take 4 / 2 turns to train in this mod)

Quote Originally Posted by Suppersopp View Post
    I found the problem my self, so now its working. Had a double aor folder. It looks good so far, will try out the Ered Luin dwarfs.

Found one problem, the usual crash when going from custom battle to campaign menu.
    glad it works
    that bug will be fixed some time in the future
    Last edited by fightermedic; June 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM.

I found the problem my self, so now its working. Had a double aor folder. It looks good so far, will try out the Ered Luin dwarfs.

Found one problem, the usual crash when going from custom battle to campaign menu.

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast