Thread: Faction Preview: Franks

Default Faction Preview: Franks

Charlemagne and the Franks or the Carolingian Empire were the great power in Europe during these dark ages. The Franks dominated central europe as well as southern, western and eastern Europe. But to the North the Danish kings held their ground and the Franks suffered many defeats, never fully bringing the Danes to heel. The Franks are at war with the Obotrites in 785 and struggled to keep the land south of the Danes in their hands with frequent rebellions and vikings attacking along the coast. Their huge advantage lies with their cavalry to crush the threat of the North.

Strengths
    Good economy and very strong, and varied, cavalry
    Weaknesses
    Only faction with christian religion at the start of the mod

Gronnen in Grinslan region and Osnabruck in Westphalia region

UNITS

Scara Sua

Strong and heavy cavalry even a shieldwall will struggle to withstand
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Milites Descensi
    Dismounted profesional cavalry, deadly even without their steed

Scutarii Minores
    Levied spearmen, useful to hold the enemy in check while the cavalry manouvre to deal the finishing blow

NOTE: This entire roster have been created solely by and from Absinthia's East Franks from TGC and can be further reviewed here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post10477832
    Last edited by Úlfhéðinn; July 06, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Default Re: Faction Preview: Franks

Huge thanks goes to absinthia for releasing this incredible faction to use in Wrath of the Norsemen.

Only 1 faction remains to be previewed before our release and that is Garðariki. I hold the previews short for the main purpose of focusing on finishing our beloved, long overdue mod.

Stay tuned

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Very, very interesting. The battles here would be really merciless

Good job!!

Hermod's Avatar Miles

Fantastic work!

Excellent work. I love those shields and fantastic shields. Compared to vanilla this is simply magical. Well done.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Looks very cool! I can't wait for border fights with the Franks...they certainly look like they'll be worthy adversaries

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

great stuff
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

I have always loved the Vikings, in Medieval II I used to love playing as the Danes landing a large army of axe wielding nutters on the shore of some poor village, breaking down the gates, scaling the walls sacking the town and making it back to your ships before tea time..... Good way to spend a few hours.

Thanks for making a campaign out of it

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Excellent work.

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

Beautiful units!

It's only a opinion but I think that you had put the franks too retarded in technology in this historical period.

retarded how, in building tech or units?
    the factions has deliberately been set with rather stripped settlements. also for the Franks this would be on the very edge of their realm, thus not the most urbanized area of the empire.
    while the Franks do have the most powerfull cavalry on the board, albeit supported by a rather reluctant and unfitt infantry levy.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Only I say that the franks seems another viking tribe in this mod, when they were the most advanced people in this period. Certainly from where you extract the historical information to do these mods, only I say it for curiosity not for criticizing.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Javatar View Post
    Only I say that the franks seems another viking tribe in this mod, when they were the most advanced people in this period. Certainly from where you extract the historical information to do these mods, only I say it for curiosity not for criticizing.
    As Abs said, the Franks were on the very edge of their Empire - near the borders of Saxony. The Saxons of this area were NOT very developed - although I think a script to summon some "reinforcements" (some full armies with nobles) would be good.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Deska140's Avatar Tiro

Amazing Work

no pixel shader??? looks like Nintendo 8 bits...
    Have a coffee dude...

how does the religion work? can you as Franks convert another faction? how to spread christianity?