Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: NEW UNITS SUGGESTION Thread!

Default Re: NEW UNITS SUGGESTION Thread!

There is no real way to use grenades in this mod. Units are eliminated way too fast to use a grenadier unit.
    lol i should have thought of that at first, after all it`s very obvious.
    and most soldiers probably would have thrown them individualy, wich is impossible to make ingame.

other thing:
    i just watched a episode of season 1 of the awsome tv series Broadwalk Empire, in that episode the viewer is interduced to the new character of an american WW1 veteran called Richard Harrow with half his face ripped off and who is a great marksman (and later assassin), in the beginning he carries a "german sniper mask" made out of steel with him from a german sniper he killed (he keeps it because he feels scared (of sniper fire) if he doesent have it on him). i never heard about these sniper masks before, i looked some stuff up.

wiki:
    During World War I, snipers appeared as deadly sharpshooters in the trenches. At the start of the war, only Imperial Germany had troops that were issued scoped sniper rifles. Although sharpshooters existed on all sides, the Germans specially equipped some of their soldiers with scoped rifles that could pick off enemy soldiers showing their heads out of their trench.[8] At first the French and British believed such hits to be coincidental hits, until the German scoped rifles were discovered.[8] During World War I, the Germans received a reputation for the deadliness and efficiency of their snipers, partly because of the high-quality lenses the Germans could manufacture.[8]
    Soon the British army began to train their own snipers in specialized sniper schools. Major Hesketh Hesketh-Prichard was given formal permission to begin sniper training in 1915, and founded the First Army School of Sniping, Observation, and Scouting at Linghem in France in 1916.[13] In 1920, he wrote his account of his war time activities in his book Sniping in France, which is still referenced by modern authors on the subject.[14][15][16] Hesketh-Prichard developed many techniques in sniping, including the use of spotting scopes and working in pairs, and using Kim's Game to train observational skills.[17] On the Eastern Front, Imperial Russia never introduced specialized sharpshooters or snipers, allowing the German snipers to pick off their targets without danger from counter-snipers.[8]
    The British did use papier-mâché figures painted to resemble soldiers to draw sniper fire. Some were equipped with rubber surgical tubing so the dummy could "smoke" a cigarette and thus appear realistic. Holes punched in the dummy by enemy sniper bullets then could be used for triangulation purposes to determine the position of the enemy sniper, who could then be attacked with artillery fire.
    so if i havent got anything wrong, german snipers were given this kind of helmet to protect their heads from enemy fire, while taking aim and shooting at enemy soldiers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

i couldnt find any reference to bodyarmor.

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

nice!
    as far as i know bodyarmour was more experimental.
    was this mask given to all regular snipers? do you have a picture of a soldier wearing it?

I asked under different topic.. but I would like to see some kind of HQ / officer unit if possible... company, regimental, batalion - whatever can be put into the game given the sizing of troops represented. Their ability would be to boost the morale as usual ...

as far as i know bodyarmour was more experimental.
    and was used by machine gunners for better protection

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

i can hardly get anything on the sniper masks do.

they were very heavy and what is importent , mainly given to op`s for scouting and other special missions.

this is the only pic i could find of a german sniper with helmet on

at least thats what i could read from this forum:
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=28542

it seems like the brits also had sniper masks later:

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...my-sniper.html

i gues these kind of units would have been something special and would therefor require a recutment limit in the game. maybe you`ll find an expert on it`s history. i just play games........ with mods
    Last edited by PunitorMaximus; June 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

i think regarding the body armour/helmet protection for WW1 troops this is for a long debate. There are pics where british soldiers were wearing captured German body armour. Some body armour and special helmets were issued to german stosstruppen but it generaly all proved to be too cumbersome and heavy for the WW1 mostly muddy battlefield terain and it obstructed the movement since the soldiers had to be fast to reach their objective. Regarding snipers - yes they used some kind of armour plates, masks and a lots of other kind of protection, indirect fire periscope tools for their rifles, etc - but I think we cant speak of some standard issue of armoured helmets, etc to either snipers or any other kind of unit. Also the guy on the pic with mask, he looks more british to me given the rifle, but I might be wrong.

you´re right its a lee enfield, but i guess its a british sniper (according to the uniform and the boot bandages) who captured it.

and yes, of course a HQ unit is possible, but thewhole unit would be killed within seconds by artillery.

Also the guy on the pic with mask, he looks more british to me given the rifle, but I might be wrong.
    if u read the line above that pic it says:

it seems like the brits also had sniper masks later:
    it`s from some kind of modelers forum, it`s a british sniper with mask.

i have a different question to punitor maximus wich has nothing to do with units.
    how far can you change the map by adding towns? and i dont mean new provinces (i know that cant be done), i mean can u make the towns wich spawn in the empire campain right from the start and stuff like that?
    and if yes, can u place forts on the campain map in certain key possitions like in front of bridges, river crossings, mountain or other narrow paths and other key roads wich the enemy would have to use in order to invade a province?
    and if yes, can you make a fort have garrison troops?
    i believe that could be a elegant solution to the problems resulting out of the little map.

yes we (not me, i cant do startposing) can of course place forts and their garrisons everywhere we want.
    the problem is, that 18th century forts are completely useless in ww1 era. because howitzers can take out every garrison within minutes...
    the problem of the little map is easy to solve: just give the units only 5 or less movement points per turn. therewith the opposite forces can immediately react on every movement. while the streets(for railroads and car-transports) give units an huge movement upgrade. so its very important to blockade all streets, therewith the enemy cant pass.

just give the units only 5 or less movement points per turn. therewith the opposite forces can immediately react on every movement. while the streets(for railroads and car-transports) give units an huge movement upgrade. so its very important to blockade all streets, therewith the enemy cant pass.
    is there any problem (besides naval battles) you didnt solve?! you and your team must have an enormous amount of patience, overview and skill.
    what`s your next project?

considering TWTEAW?
    campaign, artillery, bugsolving, increasing gameplay realism, polish units, weapons, etc..., all that things

considering other mods: dunno, maybe kinda what-if-szenario in late 19th century, sth...

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Lucky for him, he has a great team to support him, mentally obviously, because physically he has to do all the job alone, thats why he gets paid (not).

i did not all the physical stuff by myself! dont forget b-dizl, wangrin(my converter and modeler advisor), husserltw, all the researchers like don-durandal, comnenus, etc....and the unit-description writers, promoters, reputators, .......
    and of corse, dont forget greek firethrower! without him the whole mod would look like 18th century warfare

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    i did not all the physical stuff by myself! dont forget b-dizl, wangrin(my converter and modeler advisor), husserltw, all the researchers like don-durandal, comnenus, etc....and the unit-description writers, promoters, reputators, .......
    and of corse, dont forget greek firethrower! without him the whole mod would look like 18th century warfare
    thx

true story

And above all.... his modesty.....

ofcourse

ofcourse
    Great..... now what else is there to do?

you could ask husserltw if he needs a campaign and general-portrait researcher

you could ask husserltw if he needs a campaign and general-portrait researcher
    General-Portrait i get that, but Campaign?

well we´re gonna get a first campaign with germany, austria hungary, russia and france.
    surprise