Thread: Spartans EDU stats

Miles

Default Spartans EDU stats

I was messing around with the EDU file and noticed that Spartans have a primary weapon stat of "blade" instead of "simple". Why the change? Just trying to understand....thanks!

Default Re: Spartans EDU stats

Blade = an attribute that makes a weapon more powerful and effective.
    Try using this to arrows and shoot some elephants...they will die in secs!

Miles

Cool. Thanks for answering Darth.

would adding the blade attribute to all archers be more realistic, because i notice that when i use archers to attack enemy infantry units in their front, after many volleys, only 3 or 4 have died

people are going to dissagree with me of course,
    but...

arrows shouldn't be crazy effective because at the time they didnt do the bulk of the killing. Archers a very bad for morale and they do suck losing guys with no chance of fighting back but they didnt slaughter by the thousands at one time.

TEAM MEMBER

well, not for melee, but just for the arrow attack

Should not be used by archers at all, only in fantasy mods maybe (For elven super units with few men maybe)
    The archers are just fine in DM...in few mods archers are balanced so well.

alright then. its just frustrating when you fire volley after volley of arroes ot an infantry unit and so few die

Depends on archers and targets. 4 groups of +3 attack and nice exp archers can do quite some damage to slow moving phalanxes. Remember playing as Egyptians in RTW 1.0 or so... I used only chariot archers in the desert to defend agains romans in the desert and a few cavalary units to run down fleeing enemy. Usually fights ended with 0 enemy survivors and me losing 0 men. Ofcourse those were mounted archers which meant that infantry couldnt hurt them but they still managed to shoot everyone down using simply bows.

Quote Originally Posted by jw1089
    alright then. its just frustrating when you fire volley after volley of arroes ot an infantry unit and so few die
    You sure you aren't shooting at a phalanx from the front? Just shoot their rear or flanks (or from a great height) and you'll see them fall by the dozens.

thats what i was doing. it just seems like more ppl should die when u shoot them from the front

In terms of gameplay balance, the archers are just about right.

It's a little annoying when you launch massive volleys against enemies with limited kills,but overall balance has to be kept in mind.

The archers in the incarnation of RTR I played a while back were so effective,it altered the entire gameplay balance.Horse archers would decimate anything,foot archers in bulk would own any field.

I recall one of my first encounters against RTR archers. I was playing as the Germanics, and sent some shirtless maniacs charging towards the enemy. 1 volley of arrows killed enough of my charging horde to start a mass route.
    Realistic? Maybe. Balanced and fun? Not so much.
    Archers can be very effective in DarthMod,but thier not universial meat grinders. They're great on walls,against light infantry and horse, and they chew up slingers and peltasts at range easily. They're also very effective when not shooting at the enemy head on.

nightwar's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Vladie37
    In terms of gameplay balance, the archers are just about right.

It's a little annoying when you launch massive volleys against enemies with limited kills,but overall balance has to be kept in mind.

The archers in the incarnation of RTR I played a while back were so effective,it altered the entire gameplay balance.Horse archers would decimate anything,foot archers in bulk would own any field.

I recall one of my first encounters against RTR archers. I was playing as the Germanics, and sent some shirtless maniacs charging towards the enemy. 1 volley of arrows killed enough of my charging horde to start a mass route.
    Realistic? Maybe. Balanced and fun? Not so much.
    Archers can be very effective in DarthMod,but thier not universial meat grinders. They're great on walls,against light infantry and horse, and they chew up slingers and peltasts at range easily. They're also very effective when not shooting at the enemy head on.
    Well the latest Version of RTR archer's were nerfed good. so now there as effective as Darth's.