Thread: Regions tend to convert themselves ?

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

Default Regions tend to convert themselves ?

Ok, while playing my campaign I noticed that the population in Adrianopole tends to convert from Islam (I'm playing as the Fatimids) to Orthodoxy without any enemy priest (absolutely none, nor pagan, nor heretic, nor christian) haging around in that region. Some turns ago the region was at 93-94% Islam , but I moved my priests from there near Smyrna because the Byzies sent a priest of theirs there so I had to counter his conversion. While my priests were near Smyrna, in Adrianopole there wasn't a single priest (as I said before) but this didn't stop the population to convet back to Orthodoxy:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Same with Constantinopole region.
    Also, my homeland settlements convert themselves to Islam without any priest in the region (all the regions there are 100% Islam).
    Is this the way it is meant to be ?

edit: also, what's up with that huge bonus AI priests receive ? I wanted to convert Sophia to Islam just for fun with 25 Imams, but when a single hungarian cardinal/bishop (don't know for sure) appeared near Sophia the population slowly started to convert back to Catholicism ... I was like wtf !?
    Last edited by tudor93; June 14, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.

freakkriek's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Regions tend to convert themselves ?

Quote Originally Posted by tudor93 View Post

1) Ok, while playing my campaign I noticed that the population in Adrianopole tends to convert from Islam (I'm playing as the Fatimids) to Orthodoxy without any enemy priest (absolutely none, nor pagan, nor heretic, nor christian) haging around in that region. Same with Constantinopole region.

2) Also, my homeland settlements convert themselves to Islam without any priest in the region (all the regions there are 100% Islam.

3)also, what's up with that huge bonus AI priests receive ? I wanted to convert Sophia to Islam just for fun with 25 Imams, but when a single hungarian cardinal/bishop (don't know for sure) appeared near Sophia the population slowly started to convert back to Catholicism ... I was like wtf !?
    1) the "auto-conversion" you witness is due to bordering regions. Both constantinople and Andrianople border to Orthodox lands which raise the orthodoxy in Bordering non-Orthodoxy regions.

2) your own regions also convert bordering regions. So even without imams your homeregions will over gradually due to conversion of neighbours gain 100% religion

3) I have had this problem to.. it's near impossible to win conversion against a cardinal. Often when i play as the ERE this is one of my main problems in the balkan. You can't really do anything against it exept an assassin run... which is surprisingly easy on those cardinals

hope this helped
    An Ode to a briljant man
    Reality continues to ruin my life.
    Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.
    Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.
    I'm learning real skills that I can apply throughout the rest of my life ... Procrastinating and rationalizing.

Artifex

I think it is how it is intended to be. I experince the same thing in all my SS campaigns.

As I have understood it, the religion of bordering regions affects the conversion. I frequently see regions that only have my own provinces around them reach 95-100% of the true faith, while border provinces need plenty of clergy to go above 75 (unless the neighbours have the same religion). Also, the blasphemous heretics that live next to me usually get about 20-30% of my religion in their provinces. I don't know how the conversion rate/speed is in 6.4 but I'm quite sure the mechanism remains. I am not familiar with the code behind all this, though, so I can't say for certain.

In your case, the Romans have two provinces bordering Adrianople, unless I have misread the minimap, and that may explain at least a part of the spreading of orthodoxy. Your homelands have only muslims as neighbours and thus no other religions to be influenced by.

Also, has some orthodox generals passed lately? I don't know if that have effect or if it only have effect when a general is governor but again, it seems to me that armies tend to have a minor effect on religion too and it seems logical that a pious general has more influence.

EDIT: freakkriek was faster it seems
    Last edited by Maltacus; June 14, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
    The Misadventures of Diabolical Amazons - Completed.
    An Orcs Tale, a Third Age AAR - Completed.
    Reviewed by Alwyn in the Critics Quill
    My Dread Lady, a Warcraft Total War AAR - 27 chapters done.
    Home to Midgard, a Third Age AAR about two dwarves, a spy and a diplomat - Completed (pictures remade up to chapter 19).
    Reviewed by Boustrophedon in The Critics Quill

tudor93's Avatar Primicerius

oh, I see now ... thanks for the info +rep
    Īnfrānt nu eşti atunci cānd sāngeri,
    nici ochii cānd īn lacrimi ţi-s.
    Adevăratele īnfrāngeri,
    sunt renunţările la vis.