Thread: Porting M2TW models to RTW

Raritу's Avatar Glück auf!
    Artifex

Default Porting M2TW models to RTW

It's been a while since my last notable work here, I have a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, and it has nothing to do with too much gaming.

Now, let's get on with this, shall we?

Tutorial
    IntroductionI've seen some members trying to find a the way to port models from M2TW to use in RTW. Well, my time in RM team has given me the basic knowledge about this, and I figured I could share my experiences at some points.

Before we get into the tutorial, let me say first that this is quite a complicated progress which involves many tools and other tutorials. No advanced skill is needed, but basic knowledge and patience is required.

Ready?

Goal
    Giving members my experiences to port a model from M2TW to RTW.

This could be an useful way for a Rome modder to easily get more detailed models/textures for his mod.

Requirements
    All the followings are needed in order to follow this tutorial:

Step I - Converting .mesh to .ms3d
    First off, open your M2TW directory, data\unit_models\_units. You will see various models options here.

In this tutorial, I'll choose _units\en_pplate_plate\armored_swordsmen_lod0.mesh as an example.

Open GOM's Mesh 2 ms3d converter to convert the .mesh file to .ms3d.

Being easy so far? Let's get on the next step then.

Step II - Getting the model in 3ds max
    Open 3Dsmax, with 3ds max's .cas importer/exporter placed in Autodesk/3ds Max 2010/Scripts, run the script and import a RTW vanilla model.

Delete all the meshes, but leave the bones/skeleton untouched. I'll explain about this later.

With ms3dImportExport_ver1_0 placed in Autodesk/3ds Max 2010/Scripts, run the script, and open the .ms3d model:

Wait for Max to load and you'll have this:

Quite a mesh, as you can see. You won't need all of those meshes, so just delete them all, except for some needed paths. Here, clean and pretty:

Now we've had a proper model in 3ds Max, there's still a few things left to do before heading to the next step.

Open Schematic View, select the bones of the M2TW model and delete them. Why? Because M2TW models use different bones and skeletons from RTW ones. They are totally unneeded and will probably cause troubles in the next step if we keep them.

Lastly, you may want to connect some simple meshes to the RTW bones. There are two benefits of this action:
    • Make it quite easier in the next step.
    • RTW engine does not work quite well with models with many (>5) skinned meshes. Some of them may disappear in game, so it is wise to keep them as few as possible.

Step III Bone Weighing
    This is the most tedious step, and probably most time-consuming. Did I mention it's most important as well?

As the requirements stated, you'd need knowledge on bone weighing to do this step. If you don't, I won't teach you it, as Halie Satanus and Lü Bu have already done it in the following tutorials:

[Tutorial] 3d max bone weighting tutorial - Halie Satanus - March, 2008
    [Tutorial] Bone weighting (complete unit) tutorial - Lü Bu - February, 2009

Follow the above tutorials to weigh the bones. Make sure that every vertex must have exactly 1 bone weigh, or you'll have problems with exporting.

Now I've got a nicely-weighed model, it is time to get to next step.

Step IV - Texture

This part is also tedious as well. Unlike Rome, there're several texture files for one model. For example a model's armour is located in one texture file, it's weapons will be located at other files, so we'll have to find and implement them in one simple texture.

M2TW textures are .texture format, thus beforehand, you'll need to convert .texture files to .dds using M2TW texture/dds converter..

Using this tool is quite simple, simply place it in the folder with .texture files, select and convert them. Then you'll have perfect and detailed .dds textures to work with.

After a quick find, I figure my needed/desired textures are:
    data\unit_models\_units\en_pplate_plate\textures\mtw2_en_pplate_england.dds for the armor
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

data\unit_models\attachmentsets\final heater_england_diff for the weapon and shield.

Now, Open Photoshop or GIMP, create a new 515x512 image as base for our texture.

Copy the needed texture materials you want from the .dds file above to the new image. For example I ended up with this:

If you miss anything, you can always come back and add it.

Now you should save the texture as a .dds file, and we'll finally have a texture for our model.

Step V - UVW maps
    Return to 3Ds Max, now let's add the texture to the model.

Press M to open Material Editor, press Maps tab, then Diffuse Color's map.

Press Bitmap, find your texture location and open it.

Press Ctrl + A, drag the material to the model, Hit Assign to Selection and OK.

Now let's start UVW mapping.

Here's a tutorial regarding UVW mapping. Still I want to guide you through this though.

Select a mesh, select Editable Mesh* in Modifier list, then click Modifier>UV Coordinates>Unwrap UVW

*Because this will make Unwrap UVW under Skin in Modifier list, and Skin should always be on top here. Of course, there're other ways to do this, but this way is easier for now.

Now we have Unwrap UVW selected, press Edit, choose the map of Bitmaptexture

Use the Freeform mode to move and scale the verticles to suitable positions.

Do the same to other meshes and we may end up with something like this:

Render:

Not bad, isn't it? With our finished model, we're almost done now.

Step VI - Export model as .cas file
    Here's the final step before we're all done, exporting the model to use in RTW.

Run the .cas importer/exporter script again, press Export CAS... and save the model.

If you've weighed the model correctly, you should be able to export it without any problem.

Now we're done! Last thing to do is to add the unit to game, but I won't explain it in this tutorial.

Final Results
    Here's my final result:

Hope this is useful in anyway.

Comments/Questions/Suggestions are always welcome.

~Rarity
    Honored filly of M and happily taking my glance over Milner and Diamat

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Porting M2TW models to RTW

Great job!

But the final result dosent show up...
    Last edited by Skull; June 26, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    But the final result dosent show up...
    It takes some time to load, but works fine for me.

great tutorial, but seige engines dont work, it siad not standard file :/ any help please

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by JetCaesar View Post
    great tutorial, but seige engines dont work, it siad not standard file :/ any help please
    This tutorial is mostly for porting unit models, but I still wonder, in which step did it say that?