Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DATE THIS MAP . . . If you can!

Braeburn's Avatar Centenarius
    Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Phillipines

Default Re: DATE THIS MAP . . . If you can!

I'd say around 1929
    [Col] Braeburn

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

It's in the 20's for sure...Estonia is independent, Japan has Korea, Ireland is british

My bet goes to 1921
    Last edited by the new username; June 15, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

delete

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

1920-1922?
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

Lord of Cats's Avatar Vicarius

I say this map shows the world sometime between May 1919 and December 1920. The greatest clues are in Turkey. Greece owns smyrna in the western part. Greece held that briefly in the Greco-Turkish war (May 1919-October 1922). Armenia in the east is independent and big. Armenia got absorbed by the USSR in December 1920 and Turkey got its modern borders in July 1923. This is a great game! I love maps and history and thinking and analyzing!

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

Signature loading...

Mattremote's Avatar Libertus

"The Mysterious F" has got just about right, within a month or two. Next time, state your logic too, because that is as interesting as being accurate.

Here's why he almost right. Working toward the lower-date bracket:

1. 1919 - Too many map changes to count, or for cartographers to keep up with, in 1918 and 1919, but 1919 closed with Spitzenberg becoming Norwegian. Check.

2. 1920 - January: Tanganyika gets its name. April - And this is a really wierd one - The Far Eastern Republic gets on the map, look just N. of Manchuria. July - Much of Schleswig goes back to Denmark.

3. 1921: January - Latvia recognized by the WWI Allied powers (remember, this map is in English). Various dates from June through October: France reorganized French West Africa, establishing separate colonies for Mauretania, Niger, etc. Also October (some folks noticed this one) - Armenia seperate entity in Asia Minor (Russians grabbed the part north of the Caucuses, as someone remembered, but see below for some map problems).

4. 1922: January - Federation of Central America was broken up (again). March - Egyptian independence. June - Small parts of Silesia from Germany to Poland. That is the last event that I can positively identify as having been considered on the map. So I get June, 1922 for the earliest possible date of the map.

Going the other way and working backwards to fix the end bracket:

1. 1923: October - Turkey regains Constantinople/Istanbul. July - Treaty of Laussane settles Greek and Turkish borders. May - Transjordan separated from Arabia by British. March - Vilna to Poland, Memel to Lithuania. January - Declaration of the USSR.

2. 1922: December - Establishment of the Irish Free State. November - Abolition of Ottoman Empire, proclamation of Turkey (not clear if the map makers pay attention to formal titles, though). November - Elimination of the Far Eastern Republic. August and September - Turks drive Greeks out of Asia Minor (Smyrna captured in mid-September). October - Mudania Convention, Allies recognize "new" Turkey. So, it is clear that the map pre-dates the November annexation of the Far Eastern Republic by Russia/USSR and the December Irish Free State. The map maker did not include changes to the Greek and Turkish borders, but it is not clear if that was a geographical question or a political one, i.e. they were waiting for British or American recognition of the new borders. Likewise, it is not clear when the mapmaker is going to start using "soviet" style names.

So I get sometime between June, 1922 as the earliest possible date and October or November as the latest possible date.

Irreconcilable Problems: Greek and Turkish borders, Fiume, Names of Russian and Soviet Republics, Caucuses names and borders, Vilna, Sakhalin. I'm sure that you guys can find more problem names and borders.

By the way, it is the National Geographic Society World Map of 1922. I cannot read the damned copyright date on my copy.

Rep + to many of you. Next map coming tomorrow, unless one of you wants to have a go at it first.

OK, all you map nerds gather 'round. . .

Here's a map of Europe for you to date; not so hard as the last one. You won't be fixing this one to a month - even a single year will be very difficult. But give it a try and cite a clue when you make your answer or guess, if you can.

Rhaenys Targaryen's Avatar Campidoctor

I narrow that down to the 1700s, map really reminds me of ETW.

Well, yes it is dated in the 1700's.

But that is not near close enough to score any points.

Find the date and state the logic behind the date (e.g. it is before 17?? because some capital still has the old name, or it is after 17?? because the results of some treaty are included).

The clues are in the map (which is unedited by me except to crop out publication information and map title).

Indefinitely Banned

So far we can tell that this map is from 1772 to 1792 from the 1st partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
    EDIT: Venaissin is still owned by the Papal States that reduces the date to 1791 (The year it was annexed by the French).
    Last edited by L-Burna; June 18, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

Too late.

Twi wins again

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sparkle View Post
    So far we can tell that this map is from 1772 to 1792 from the 1st partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
    EDIT: Venaissin is still owned by the Papal States that reduces the date to 1791 (The year it was annexed by the French).
    My answer is nearly the same: 1783 to 1791. Throughout the 18th centruy Britain and Spain contested the island of Minorca in the Balearics. In the map Minorca is owned by Spain. Britian ceded the island to Spain in 1783 and then with the French annexiation of Venaissin I have made my time borders.
    Last edited by Lord of Cats; June 18, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

the mysterious F's Avatar Vicarius

1792, because of the same reasons as twi, and the Austrian Netherlands

Indefinitely Banned

No, it's 1791 or earlier to 1783. Because in 1791 Venaissin joined France and in the map it's still shown as part of the Papal States.

the mysterious F's Avatar Vicarius

than i'd go with 1790-1791 because i think that i have seen this map related to the French Revolution

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Weird that Naples and Sicily are put on the map as the Two Sicilies even though they were separated kingdoms at the time.

Princess Cadance's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    Weird that Naples and Sicily are put on the map as the Two Sicilies even though they were separated kingdoms at the time.
    It's probably some anachronistic thing.
    "Sing to the LORD a new song;sing to the LORD, all the earth."-Psalm 96:1
    "A true man hates no one."-Napoleon Bonaparte

This one is alot more precise to date than I realized.

First off, many of you are right about the Venaisson. Avignon was annexed by France on September 14, 1791. So, the map must be earlier than that date.

The earlier side of the bracket is a little harder. Here is my proposal: August 4, 1791. The Treaty of Sistova was executed on that date. That treaty closed the Austrian-Ottoman war and it gave the town of Orszava (that's the town just to the North of the Iron Gates) back to Hungary. It certainly looks like that on the map. It is the last map change I can find so the map must have been made after that date.

So, I get a very short period of "validity" of just 40 days, between August 4, 1791 and September 14, 1791.

There is one big problem though: The map anticipates the January, 1792 settlement of the Russo-Ottoman war, which advanced the Russian border with the Ottoman Empire up to the Dneister River (giving Russia the future port of Odessa). That problem can have happened for two reasons: First possibility is that the map was actually made after January 1792 and the mapmakers simply did not want to recognize the French annexation of Avignon. Second possibility is that the mapmaker anticipated that the war was essentially over in the Summer of 1791, after the capture of Anapa in June of that year, and that the lines of the truce might hold in the subsequent Treaty of Jassy (or Iasy). I go with the latter theory but the first one might well be true too. . .

I'll add some Rep+ later one for the many who got this one right.

If anyone wants to upload a map then please do so. If not, I'll post a new one shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattremote View Post
    I'll add some Rep+ later one for the many who got this one right.

If anyone wants to upload a map then please do so. If not, I'll post a new one shortly.
    Is there going to be a new map uploaded or is this game dead? I hope it's not dead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast