Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot based heroes dont fight well

Default Foot based heroes dont fight well

Im sure we all noticed how poorly a hero who isnt on horseback fights. This is due to the stumble animation they do when hit by an enemy. This stumble continues hit after hit till someone saves ur general by killing the attacker.
    Now i read the forums and cant seem to find if anyone has ever noticed this but trolls are infantry as well but they do not stumble. Does anyone kno if it is possible to give the foot based heroes the same animation or lack there of as a troll stumble? This would increase the performance of foot generals greatly. I kno i personally would like to see gimli take down 30 or more goblins when hes the last unit left and surrounded before he dies.

Default Re: Foot based heroes dont fight well

Maybe remove the stumble animation. You'll probably have to ask in the Mod Workshop.

Moneybags14's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Maybe remove the stumble animation. You'll probably have to ask in the Mod Workshop.
    You would think this is simple, but back when I tried doing it. Things did not go according to plan... A beginner modder will have like zero clue what to do. Animations are one of the most complicated forms of modding.

i have no clue bout the modding of animations. I guess im wondering if all foot based heros could be like trolls in the fact that they dont stumble when hit. Has anyone tried this? Is it even possible?

I play with two fixes to this neither in code but in battle setup.

1. I always group the unit with a similar unit on the left that slightly overlaps, this protects the hero from the flanking on the left, where he often faces three attackers or more depending on the range of their weapons.

2. Saw this once on a vid, the guy arranged his general unit backwards, and turned to attack just before the enmy got there, the hero then ends up fighting on the right side and moves up into the engagement, he still needs his flank protected, but it really seems to pull the initial focus off of him. I have tried this but have forgotten I've done it a couple times with terrible results.

Makus's Avatar Tiro

generally you just need to make sure the hero isnt the first member of his unit to engage. if they can break the stagger, most have substantial damage mods that make them pretty damaging alone on the field
    All Men Fall, it is but Time and Method that Differ

You can also add 'officers' to the hero's bodyguard unit, these are placed in front of the 'general', they can be banner carriers, officers or any models you like (from the respective faction) - it may help your hero to survive more engagements.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Makus View Post
    generally you just need to make sure the hero isnt the first member of his unit to engage. if they can break the stagger, most have substantial damage mods that make them pretty damaging alone on the field
    Actually the 'heroes' can barely fight.
    The 'Attack' that come from traits and ancillaries are referring to 'Command skill in Attack' instead of that 'attack' on persnoal level.
    Only the 'Hitpoints' are referring to the heroes themselves.

So they, at best can be 'damage sponges' but that just let them last a bit longer and die painfully.

The sad thing is that the hero is located at the flank of the unit.
    Very, very bad. Not even additional officers can save them when flanked.
    Aure entuluva!

Thats why never total war games have generals in the middle

and interesting what the stats of a general are?

like 1 attack
    1 defence
    8 hitpoints ?

Borussia Dortmund fan

The Nazguls for example seem to be very very effective with 8 hitpoints; Aragorn 6, Legolas 8, Gandalf 8... I actually only loose Faramir quite often (to the cavalry charge), Faramir2 has 8, but Faramir has just 4 hitpoints.

It would sure be nice if they would stop being so stupid but if you avoid having him surrounded by ennemies it's not that bad usually...

this is a known bug in the game and has been around since 2.0. my biggest complaint when 3.0 came out was that they never fixed the bugged foot generals, remarking that mounted generals work perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

Moneybags14's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by eugenioso View Post
    this is a known bug in the game and has been around since 2.0. my biggest complaint when 3.0 came out was that they never fixed the bugged foot generals, remarking that mounted generals work perfectly fine.
    It has been around since MTW2 was created. It is not a bug, if someone is fighting 5 people at once, they will constantly be on the defence hence staggering backwards after a blow. What you guys are asking for is a super human general that is not phased by attacks and acts like the heroes in the movie. Regarding mounted generals, they do not stagger because mounted infantry have different animations all together and have to work with the horse, their stagger animation is often very quick because they just rock backwards or sideways in the saddle. Having an animation that was that quick on a foot unit would look silly and just wrong.

It has been awhile since I messed around with animations but I believe this is the animation code that causes the so called "bug".

Code:
    anim		shuffle_left									data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_left.cas				-fr				-evt:data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_left.evt
    anim		shuffle_right									data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_right.cas				-fr				-evt:data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_right.evt
    anim		shuffle_forward									data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_forward.cas			-fr				-evt:data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_forward.evt
    anim		shuffle_backward								data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_forward.cas			-fr				-evt:data/animations/MTW2_2HSwordsman/MTW2_2HSwordsman_shuffle_backward.evt
    Last edited by Moneybags14; June 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

I agree, it's not a "bug"... it's just pitty, sometimes, to loose Faramir early in the campaign just because his light archer unit gets flanked. Of course, it's still far better than to see him be an invincible superjedibatman

When heroes die I care about unless enough time has elapsed or it is part of a major strategic battle I'll just restart it. Generals mean far too much to lose in that manor

@moneybags 14

your statement is wrong. mounted generals can fight even when surrounded. the problem is not that the general is weak or that we want a super strong general, the problem is that the recovery animation is not working as intended. they are struck once and then they keep getting struck, and not by "fighting 5 people at once", by one soldier.

i have beaten an enemy general with one single soldier because he kept getting the same stagger animation every time my soldier struck a hit, whereas a normal, working enemy soldier not only has a chance to block the attack, he can counter it efficiently.

if what you said was true, then the first soldier to attack the enemy would eventually win against a troll, because he would never get the chance to strike back.

oh, and in MTW2, the foot generals fought perfectly fine, often being the very last unit to die.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

But in RTW the staggering problem would happen less frequently. I wish the staggering could at least be toned down.

Im not saying make them superhuman like someone said im saying i want then to be able to fight. As it stands im afraid to let my foot generals fight. Ive had mounted aragorn for gondor kill a unit of 36 orc raiders alone but gimli died to 12 goblins in a goblin band. Trolls dont stagger at all when hit and they still die. Im wondering if u could just copy the animation for troll stagger and replace the foot general animation with it. I have no clue if the game even allows such a mod. But seeing as the makers did get trolls to not stagger i feel its possible for foot generals

There were no foot generals in M2, unless there were some in the Americas campaign, which I haven't played.

See what animations the trolls have and copy it for the foot general.

so...

when i used a captain, and his model, and he fought and died last of the unit, not a general...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast