Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do The Americans Think They Won WW2?

Default Re: Why Do Americans Think They Won WW2?

With the extreme aid of others
    More like with the minimun aid of others, the british defeated the italians in east africa pretty much alone, and in north africa the turning point was el alamein, and it was the british who captured Tunis, tripoli AND defeated the mareth line, USA did a small help in kasserine pass and that was it.

How can you hold ground against something that wasn't attacked by ground?
    it holded the air, same thing
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    lol @ this. The Japanese were exhausted because they were constantly chasing the Chinese that kept running for their lives.

I always say it just to annoy them.
    The republic army was losing the war . The communist army which stationed in Western China were barely touched. Mind you that the war was going for 8 years and Japanese only captured costal cities and Japanese goverment was in a truck load of debt. If the war kept going on for another 8 years, the republic army might lose but the communist army would finish the exhausted Japanese army and its bankrupt goverment in a blink of eyes.

Americans only helped us to save some blood. We fought our wars and they could not take that credit from us.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Without Roosevelt's, Churchill's, Stalin's, and Hitler's leadership I don't think anyone could defeat Germany.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post
    The republic army was losing the war . The communist army which stationed in Western China were barely touched. Mind you that the war was going for 8 years and Japanese only captured costal cities and Japanese goverment was in a truck load of debt. If the war kept going on for another 8 years, the republic army might lose but the communist army would finish the exhausted Japanese army and its bankrupt goverment in a blink of eyes.

Americans only helped us to save some blood. We fought our wars and they could not take that credit from us.
    The only thing that was imperative to the Japanese was oil, which the US and others blocked from them. As long as the oil kept flooding in, the Japanese would have continued to slap around the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    The only thing that was imperative to the Japanese was oil, which the US and others blocked from them. As long as the oil kept flooding in, the Japanese would have continued to slap around the Chinese.
    Nope, as long as Germany and Americans kept supplying arms and supplies to both communist and republic, Japanese had no chance to wage the war for another 8 years. The only thing Americans wanted in a pacific theatre was they wanted to establish their status quo over British and other colonial powers in the region.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Without Roosevelt's, Churchill's, Stalin's, and Hitler's leadership I don't think anyone could defeat Germany.
    Boy isn't that the case. Hitler was his own worse enemy.

Look at it this way. America helped on three fronts in just the Western theater...Italy, North Africa, and France/Holland/Belgium/Germany. At the same time, America slugged it out with the Japanese over specks of land in the Pacific. Millions of men, thousands of ships and tanks and artillery, supplies, etc all led to the end of the war. Had Western Europe become a non-issue, Hitler would have been able to throw even more resources against the Soviets. Of course, had Eastern Europe become a non-issue, the same could be said of Hitler throwing all his troops west.

My history teacher said that three of the things that won the war were Soviet losses, American output (industrial and military), and Hitler's incompetence.

To say that America didn't at the very least hasten the fall of the Third Reich would be an error, I feel.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

To say that America didn't at the very least hasten the fall of the Third Reich would be an error, I feel.
    Did I say that?

the original point of this thread was where do americans get the idea they were the number one most important aspect of the war responsible for victory?

I understand patriotism but its just inaccurate

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

A lot of it comes from the justification for the war--Hitler would have won without America, thus, America had to join the war effort and save Europe. I used to believe this myself. But a closer examination of the facts puts it in doubt--it seems a lot of this is part of the wartime propaganda that satiated the concerns of Americans who did not want to get involved in another European war, of the kind that had been going on for centuries. America's contribution had to be that important to sell it to the people.

Also, Americans tend to be very isolationist in their worldview--even today, you rarely hear news from outside the United States unless it involves one of our wars, or Iran, which the propaganda machine is pushing war with. Americans are just very inward-looking. We are a big country and very powerful on our own. And all politics are local, as a smart politician once said.

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreiglord View Post
    Alright so maybe they were the ones to drop the bombs on Japan but when it comes to Germany that was more or less Russia's achievement in the field with the Americans and commonwealth being a distraction more then anything.

Why do Amuricans think they won it all?

Is it just the medias fault

I have met Americans who if you talk to them about ww2 or even ww1 they act as if their president went over their first hand led the troops from the front and one handedly defeated Germany.
    No D-Day means no victory over Germany, also no USA intervention would had forced the UK to surrender and left Russia without precious war supplies. Save another moment of Hitler Madness© , Germany would be able blow Russia away when not fighting a 2 front war.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Did I say that?

the original point of this thread was where do americans get the idea they were the number one most important aspect of the war responsible for victory?

I understand patriotism but its just inaccurate
    No you didn't.

I have heard people say before (not here) that the war could have been won without America...Of course, that was coming from people that have no idea what the war was like.

I used to think that America was the single reason, but I would say that their entrance into the war was the MAJOR catalyst towards eventual victory. I doubt that the Soviets could have won with the full force of the German military bearing down on them.

With America's entrance brought air superiority, which never could have been achieved on the Continent without them, in my opinion.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    No you didn't.

I have heard people say before (not here) that the war could have been won without America...Of course, that was coming from people that have no idea what the war was like.

I used to think that America was the single reason, but I would say that their entrance into the war was the MAJOR catalyst towards eventual victory. I doubt that the Soviets could have won with the full force of the German military bearing down on them.

With America's entrance brought air superiority, which never could have been achieved on the Continent without them, in my opinion.
    Well, people in other topics also point out that China and Russia still could win the war by themself without USA. The war was shorter because of Americans? YES. China and Russia would lose the war without Americans? ABSOLUTELY NO.

No D-Day means no victory over Germany
    Not even close. The Germans were reeling by then and in no position to stop the Soviet advance. What it did mean was that the Soviets wouldn't "liberate" the rest of Europe.
    YES. China and Russia would lose the war without Americans? ABSOLUTELY NO.
    I think the best outcome in the Pacific w/o Pearl Harbor would be some kind of stalemate, if Japan just decides to give in and negotiate. But in Europe there was no real hope for German victory after the failure short of Moscow, they were very fortunate to avoid total collapse in the Soviet counteroffensive that followed.
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; June 09, 2012 at 02:20 AM.

Why Do Americans Think They Won WW2?
    Obvious answer: Because they did.

What's irritating though is how American filmmakers are constantly trying to ascribe Russian or British successes in WWII to American troops. That and the extreme amount of attention dedicated to the period in general, as if nothing exciting had happened before (except for The Civil WarTM, which, as we all know, is the biggest and only civil war that ever happened. And SlaveryTM, because it only ever happened to black Americans).

I'm sure you guys get sick of Americans constantly asking about the 3rd Reich as well I remember in college i tried my hardest when talking to the one German student i met to not bring it up, he actually did himself probably b/c of so much experience. I think the myth plays an important part in the American psyche, we like to see ourselves as ourselves as the cavalry coming to the rescue in far away wars against evil. Almost without fail the public enemy number 1, whether Saddam or Milosevic, is compared to Hitler, and not intervening (forget that Germany declared war on the US) is compared to the Munich Agreement. It is comic book history, since most people don't want to go through the effort of understanding the actual context, and the "Nazis" make the best villains. I just wonder why the "Nazis and zombies" theme has been more popular than the alien one.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Americans did win WW2. So did the British, Russians, and all the other allied nations.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    How about we define the rights that allow a government to say that isn't within my freedom.

I think people should have better things to do in life than arguing over things none of them have achieved, such as winning a world war or great inventions.
    Have a question about China? Get your answer here.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by totalwarguy View Post
    WW2 was a team effort
    Indeed.
    /thread
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by visser300 View Post
    Nope
    Yes. Historians around the world agree that it was the oil embargo that changed the tide of the Pacific front.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Although alot of Americans like to think they won the war by themselves, i'm sure that the only reason any of us, in the west especially, pick up on it is because America produces the most movies or programmes about the war at the moment.
    I've heard British people say the British won the war by themselves and the Russians refer to the eastern front as a completely seperate war, thus excluding everyone else!

I'm sure that the war would have been won without the US joining eventually but it would have taken twice as long and cost alot more lives probably. I'm sure Germany would have been allowed to keep a little extra land in western Europe or something.

Manuel I Komnenos's Avatar Rex Regum
    Civitate

If you are referring to the most influential battle, that has to be Moscow but obviously the WW2 was won by the Allies as a whole.
    Under the patronage of Emperor Maximinus Thrax
    "Steps to be taken in case Russia should be forced out of war considered. Various movements [of ] troops to and from different fronts necessary to meeting possible contingencies discussed. Conference also weighed political, economic, and moral effect both upon Central and Allied powers under most unfavorable aspect from Allied point of view. General conclusions reached were necessity for adoption of purely defensive attitude on all secondary fronts and withdrawing surplus troops for duty on western front. By thus strengthening western front [those attending] believed Allies could hold until American forces arrive in numbers sufficient to gain ascendancy."
    ~General Pershing, report to Washington, 26 July 1917